The Student Room Group

What does Brexit means for young people? Your questions answered

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sumaya.m
would legal EU citizens currently living, working or even studying here have to leave uk?

No.
Um, guys? I thought we were sick and tired of experts? What's with all the questions now? Surely everyone knew what they were voting for, making Britain great again or something, right? Not that the second most popular Google search in the UK after the polls closed was 'what is the EU' or anything, just saying.
Original post by needhelpthank
what will happen to EU students that currently want to go to university here in the UK

I have the same question...
Original post by picci96
what happens to those students like me that are enrolling into a UK's university? I have to do 3+ years of university. What will happen to the student loan that I'm able to ask right now? From 2018 do I have to pay the fees as an international student? I am worried because I don't know if I should enroll since I already know that I'll never be able to pay 12,000 pounds upfront...

I am in the same situation, does anyone know the answer please?
Original post by DominikaJ
I am in the same situation, does anyone know the answer please?

Nothing will change regarding the student loans for the next 2 years. However, I do not know for the rest of the years but I suppose because you enrolled with the prior state of laws you will be granted full tuition fees loan up untill you graduate.
We will actually be able to restrict EU immigration? I've heard several reports that free movement was not in fact intrinsically tied to EU membership bit instead to the EEA which we may not be leaving??? What's the point of leaving the EU if we can't control immigration and still have to pay into the EEA???
Original post by dragonkeeper999
We will actually be able to restrict EU immigration? I've heard several reports that free movement was not in fact intrinsically tied to EU membership bit instead to the EEA which we may not be leaving??? What's the point of leaving the EU if we can't control immigration and still have to pay into the EEA???

Turns out, the only alternative to the EU is the EFTA (European Free Trade Association) which is comprised of only Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland. Switzerland is the only european country to be neither a member of the EEA or EU, but retains free movement and trade rights via the EFTA. Liechtenstein, and Swiss both have rights to refuse entry to EU nationals because of the small landmass of each of their countries.

As for the UK, they left the EFTA in the 70s due to it being irrelevant due to EU membership. EU membership provides all EEA benefits automatically to member states. Since the UK has voted to leave the EU, EEA membership is automatically revoked. Thanks to this, any Brit living in Europe, or any European living in Britain currently face uncertainty.

Eventually, the UK will have to rejoin the EFTA because without, it has no right of trade with Europe. 80% of cars come from europe, and one of Britain's only assets is the manufacturing plant of Vauxhall, which exports to Europe under the Opel brand. Everything else the UK uses is imported, including most of our food supply. Without the EFTA this would be too expensive and low income families could not survive since it is the consumer who would pay the import fees.

This makes the entire vote totally reckless and pointless, because to join the EFTA, the UK would have to accept laws from the EU and EEA again, including free movement laws.

Your question was initially mine too, I had no idea the EU and EEA were interconnected, and thought the UK would retain EEA membership. Alas this is not the case.
(edited 7 years ago)
As I am a EU student, is it still possible for me to get a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan?
Original post by gbanzer89
Swiss ... have rights to refuse entry to EU nationals because of the small landmass of each of their countries.

Do they?

I was under the impression Schengen rules still applied to Switzerland. I know they had a referendum to cap immigration from EU but it's not yet in force is it?
Original post by SullyS
I am an EU student (Germany) who originally had American citizenship (now German) I start my 4 year course in September 2016.
Will tuition fees rise and the student loans company reject us EU students? I've gotten my tuition fee loan confirmation this year..what about the other 3 years?
I've also been in a long distance relationship between England and Germany for nearly 3 years. What will our fate be once the UK cuts its ties with the EU? Will I ever be able to move in with him?

Awww Im in the same situation, also German, got a bf in England and wanna study in the UK :biggrin:
Reply 130
Original post by Hevachan
How worried should i be? Is there any way it will be stopped from going through parliment? Does this mean the end of the nhs?

Why the hell would it mean the end of the NHS?
The nhs was formed before the EU....
Original post by picci96
what happens to those students like me that are enrolling into a UK's university? I have to do 3+ years of university. What will happen to the student loan that I'm able to ask right now? From 2018 do I have to pay the fees as an international student? I am worried because I don't know if I should enroll since I already know that I'll never be able to pay 12,000 pounds upfront...

I'm in the exact same position, I don't know what to do either
Original post by Alienskyyy
I'm in the exact same position, I don't know what to do either

Call your university on Monday and ask if they can guarantee you will be supported
Will student finance change? I'll be entering university in 2017. Will we have to pay for it like Americans?
Original post by Dann_a

People who are currently being put in spotlight as possible PM candidates have spoken about privatising NHS or charging for its services as far as I'm aware
Why the hell would people vote leave !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dann_a

I am just asking the question, you can't really be annoyed for me asking :') obviously i don't have the answer otherwise i wouldn't have asked?
My firm choice is King's to study European Studies (French pathway), is there any point in studying this anymore or should I just go for my insurance choice which is Birmingham for International Relations?
will I (English student) still be able to study in Barcelona? how will i be able to fund this?
Is it even worth me doing my chosen uni course of Law (European Legal Studies) if we are out of the EU? How will I use this degree when we are out?
Reply 139
Original post by Hevachan
How worried should i be? Is there any way it will be stopped from going through parliment? Does this mean the end of the nhs?

the NHS will never end but privatization is inevitable. opinions on the NHS are from biased views, the only people who really under the NHS are those who work in it.

from the moment conservative were elected to run the country that started to kill the NHS *Jeremy Hunts made up statistics that it was failing*

if we were to remain in the EU, privatization would have occurred as:
1) they would say we don't have enough money
2) conditions would become so poor for current workers they would hire foreign workers at far lower rates and move them over to the UK (which is unfair as they both can do the same job yet it is easier to underpay foreign workers)

as we are leaving the EU, privatization will occur as:
1) they will say we don't have enough money as EU funded NHS and a lot of research
2) currently they are increasing the number of people that must be seen in a week in each section of the NHS, these targets are crazy as there is bare minimum staff present to cover this many people and minimum resources available for this. therefore these targets are unreachable, they put the lives of patients at risk and are unfair on the staff, as they are unreachable the government can claim the NHS is failing all different sections to become privatized which IS already occurring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending