The Student Room Group

What hopes and concerns do you have for how the UK will change?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
In my opinion everyone needs to grow up. Yes we have left the EU, yes thats likely to lead to another Scottish referendum. Its a sad day for some and a happy day for others. For me personally iam sad that David Cameron has decided to resign as unlike many young people I think he has been a great leader. Its very brave of him to accept his defeat yet carry on with the new negotiations to keep this country going as I know a lot of politicans would immediately give up and drop the country right in it. But at the end of the day people need to stop whining about the apparent "racists" voting to leave and need to accept what is done is done. We arent going to bring this country forward by moaning about why we didn't get the result we wanted and trapping ourselves in the past.
Every single person in the UK knows we have it gone. Everyone knows everything's gonna get worse from now on - it doesn't take a genius to perceive that.
The break-up of the states in the UK. There will for sure be a second Scottish referendum as all regions had majorities for remain. Scotland will leave. Wales will stay for the longest probably because they pretty much all went for Brexit. Northern Ireland mostly wanted to remain in the EU but they will leave this and be the only country in the UK with a land border to an EU country.
In terms of immigration, the Leave campaign suggested that they would reduce immigration levels but in actual fact never explicitly said that (or meant it). They proposed means to control immigration, pick and mix those who we want.
Personally, I think if Britain became more federalised it would function more efficiently: in the north the Tories never win, in the south east the Tories always win. With more federal regions in Britain, more popular local "governments" would have more control to fix issues that the opposition wouldn't care to fix.
London - well... It's such a powerhouse housing parliament and the vast majority of all the political control of the U.K. and of course in the City, a global financial hub.
Original post by Dieselblue
I'm concerned about all the Left wingers leaving, Oh wait. No I'm not. That's a great thing. Sick of left wingers labelling anyone who puts immigration in a negative light a:
Racist
Sexist
Xenophobic
Facist
Bigot

Knowing TSR being infamous for being a site full of left wing 16 year olds I am expect a lot of hate for this comment.

Im confused, its the left wingers who have voted to leave! Evident by the chaos Labour faces with the possibility of another leadership election

They are the ones labelling immigrants
Original post by shooks
(...)
For instance, this article on The Guardian raises some interesting possibilities.
- It might be harder to get a job in Europe
- UK students might have to pay international tuition fees to study at European unis
- UK graduates might find it easier to find grad-level jobs in the UK
- It might become harder to travel around Europe
- House prices might become more affordable

Very interesting.

My concerns are that Britiain underrestimates the financial aspects: is the British economy strong enough to deal with internatioal companies and countries as a global player alone? in respect of the competition, so America, China and the EU-countries, just to name but a few? Being a part of the EU also means to have better chances to deal with international, to represent the economic interests. What about trade barriers, so customs in the rest of Europe?

Lesser EU-standards, more independence and self-determination. Fine and dandy and I underline that too. But more independence and self-determination also means to have a greater responsibility as a single country, especially in terms of economy. That has to be considered first before Britain gets in the EU out. Otherwise the British plan may turn into a boomerang.
Original post by andrewUK
i hope as an nation we stop blaming others such as refugees and immigrants for our mistakes. i hope we learn stop letting xenophobia and patriotism govern our minds and instead we do what is best for our future generations. however the EU result destroyed my hope... :frown:

??? Look at the cost of housing. Look at the immigration figures. Two words: "Supply" and "demand".
Reply 26
Original post by geoking
??? Look at the cost of housing. Look at the immigration figures. Two words: "Supply" and "demand".

Look at supply. The government hasn't invested in any housing projects. Instead they made welfare cuts of 18 billion since 2010 cutting housing benefits for young people and old people. People can't get houses because of the government's policies NOT IMMIGRANTS. Regardless of immigrants Britain has a rising population. Therefore its inexcusable that the Conservatives didn't invest in any houses

The COST of housing will INCREASE now anyway. A weaker pound means more expensive imports which cause INFLATION. Inflation makes mortgages more expensive as it forces the bank to RAISE INTEREST RATES. As a result landlord INCREASE RENTS to cover their costs. Also young people cannot take out high loans so they CAN'T GET ON THE PROPERTY LADDER regardless if the values of houses fall. Also there are NO CAPS on rents. Landlords hold the power and can charge what they like.

You just played yourself.
Original post by Laomedeia
I am hoping that as a result of Brexit:

Unemployment will go down
Wages will go up
Immigration will be almost eliminated
No EU red tape
We get to see Jupiter collide with the sun

Ofcourse the first 4 are the least realistic of my expectations.

Good luck :laugh:
Look at supply. The government hasn't invested in any housing projects. Instead they made welfare cuts of 18 billion since 2010 cutting housing benefits for young people and old people. People can't get houses because of the government's policies NOT IMMIGRANTS. Regardless of immigrants Britain has a rising population. Therefore its inexcusable that the Conservatives didn't invest in any houses

The COST of housing will INCREASE now anyway. A weaker pound means more expensive imports which cause INFLATION. Inflation makes mortgages more expensive as it forces the bank to RAISE INTEREST RATES. As a result landlord INCREASE RENTS to cover their costs. Also young people cannot take out high loans so they CAN'T GET ON THE PROPERTY LADDER regardless if the values of houses fall. Also there are NO CAPS on rents. Landlords hold the power and can charge what they like.

You just played yourself.

I don't care about housing benefits. I'm talking about 9-5 workers who can't afford a home because home prices are increasing quicker than wages.

Immigrants add to the demand for housing, so yes, they exacerbate the problem - it's simple math. If 10 people want to buy a house, the price can be more if only 5 wanted to buy a house.

If interest rates go up, great - for the first time in years, saving accounts become useful. And rent would stabilise because there is less demand.

If you bothered to do the basic math rather than write in CAPS, you'd realise you fail to grasp the basic concept of supply and demand. Less demand, supply becomes cheaper, not more expensive as you're claiming...
Reply 29
Original post by geoking
I don't care about housing benefits. I'm talking about 9-5 workers who can't afford a home because home prices are increasing quicker than wages.

Immigrants add to the demand for housing, so yes, they exacerbate the problem - it's simple math. If 10 people want to buy a house, the price can be more if only 5 wanted to buy a house.

If interest rates go up, great - for the first time in years, saving accounts become useful. And rent would stabilise because there is less demand.

If you bothered to do the basic math rather than write in CAPS, you'd realise you fail to grasp the basic concept of supply and demand. Less demand, supply becomes cheaper, not more expensive as you're claiming...

Your not understanding so let me show you why houses will still be hard to buy and why rent would go up-"a vote for Brexit would mean a rise of between 0.7% and 1.1% in borrowing costs (on top of what happens anyway), the average cost of a mortgage could increase by up to £1,000 a year.A rise in interest rates would also affect those in rented accommodation, as costs for landlords would go up."
How might the EU exit affect average house prices?YearBy leaving EUIf UK had remained in EU2016£277,600£278,5002017£288,900£290,8002018£300,800£303,000WOW house prices will fall by 3 grand that is sooooooooo much cheaper. Oh wait... wage are expected to drop along with benefits so people won't even be able to afford a house regardless of the tiny fall in the price of houses.
Reply 30
Your not understanding so let me show you why houses will still be hard to buy and why rent would go up-"a vote for Brexit would mean a rise of between 0.7% and 1.1% in borrowing costs (on top of what happens anyway), the average cost of a mortgage could increase by up to £1,000 a year.A rise in interest rates would also affect those in rented accommodation, as costs for landlords would go up."
How might the EU exit affect average house prices?YearBy leaving EUIf UK had remained in EU2016£277,600£278,5002017£288,900£290,8002018£300,800£303,000WOW house prices will fall by 3 grand that is sooooooooo much cheaper. Oh wait... wage are expected to drop along with benefits so people won't even be able to afford a house regardless of the tiny fall in the price of houses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36537906
table didnt so up so there is link.

Well you've drunk the Koolaid because the BOE is keeping interest rates low, meaning that a hike in mortgage prices won't occur.

So we're back to supply and demand. Less demand, so rent and property buying becomes cheaper. And any slowdown in the cost of property is good - you can't just write it off because it doesn't suit you.

And why on earth would wages drop??
Reply 32
Original post by geoking
Well you've drunk the Koolaid because the BOE is keeping interest rates low, meaning that a hike in mortgage prices won't occur.

So we're back to supply and demand. Less demand, so rent and property buying becomes cheaper. And any slowdown in the cost of property is good - you can't just write it off because it doesn't suit you.

And why on earth would wages drop??

Why would there be less demand? 90,000 young people don't have a home.2 million families are on the waiting list.
How is removing 300,000 immigrants and bringing back 500,000 pensioners (the other 1.3 million pensioners have homes abroad) into the UK going to solve this going to solve this?

And if you read the article "Several experts have predicted that the economic shock of leaving the EU would cause unemployment to rise in the UK. That would reduce the pressure for wage growth. The Treasury estimated that wages will be between 2.8% and 4% lower at the point of maximum impact, with a typical worker at least £780 a year worse off."
Reply 33
I stayed up all night to watch it unfold and I am proud to British and I think it was a good decision that the United Kingdom voted to leave the EU it opens a new door to new opportunity's and for a better economic future for Britain. Out is out we do not need Norway - EU style deal we should get out and stay out. Now everyone needs to come together and accept the decision the British people took and make sure that this works for everyone and make sure the future of Britain is bright, safe and stable.
Original post by Callum27
I stayed up all night to watch it unfold and I am proud to British and I think it was a good decision that the United Kingdom voted to leave the EU it opens a new door to new opportunity's and for a better economic future for Britain. Out is out we do not need Norway - EU style deal we should get out and stay out. Now everyone needs to come together and accept the decision the British people took and make sure that this works for everyone and make sure the future of Britain is bright, safe and stable.

And why do you think that Britain has 'a better economic future' after that? does Britain has even a plan how to deal with it?
Reply 35
Original post by Kallisto
And why do you think that Britain has 'a better economic future' after that? does Britain has even a plan how to deal with it?

I do not know what is being talked about behind close doors so I don't know if they have a plan yet, But one of the reasons I think we will have a better economic future is because we have the freedom to do our own trade deals with big super powers like China and the USA so in the long term I can see a better future for the UK.
Reply 36
We are going to be so much better! people are complaining that we left but those are the same people that complain the government isn't doing anything for us. It's VERY likely its because the EU ignores almost everything we propose! MOST countries in the world don't have a legislation like this - or the NHS. People are acting like its a right. Just goes to show how privileged we are. Its mainly teenagers copying what every other teenager thinks too. I'm very happy we left. I couldn't vote but we voted out. We decided to after thinking about it very hard.
I do not know what is being talked about behind close doors so I don't know if they have a plan yet, But one of the reasons I think we will have a better economic future is because we have the freedom to do our own trade deals with big super powers like China and the USA so in the long term I can see a better future for the UK.

I see. Personally, I have my doubts that Britain as a global player is strong enough to deal the trade with big super powers. But that is my view. If Britain has a concept how to trade with big super powers without being a part of EU and if it is realistically, I see no problems.
Reply 38

just a simple question- why would china trade with us over the USA...what different do we have to offer them than the USA does who has a much larger economy? and why would the USA go for the UK trade deal over an EU trade deal or a trade deal with a country supplying products different to what the USA can create or that is a much larger economy.

Not trying to argue...just a question i keep asking people all through the debate, and no-one seemed to have a factual answer
Reply 39
USA has the biggest economy in the world at about $17 trillion GDP. China would want to trade with us because it can get them in to europe (not EU i know) and the UK is working very close with China as there prisident came to the UK to talk with Cameron last year. They wont pick us over the USA they will pick us as they see were in help and they will benefit from trading with the UK to tighten the relasionship with with us and there economy is slowing down so they may see us as a place to go. Also why the US should trade with us. Its in the US best intrest to keep us as a strong economic friend which will benifit them and us. They are working on a US - EU trade deal and have now said they want to trade with us after we officaly leave (when ever that may be) but all that back of the que rubbish has now gone out the window now brexit is coming true. I dont see why China or the US will turn down a trade deal. And remember Obama and Cameron will not be in power much longer. The UK shall have a new prime minister and the US shall have a new leader as well. I think this is a new era of the UK which will be more better than we have seen under EU control

Original post by JsJsxox
just a simple question- why would china trade with us over the USA...what different do we have to offer them than the USA does who has a much larger economy? and why would the USA go for the UK trade deal over an EU trade deal or a trade deal with a country supplying products different to what the USA can create or that is a much larger economy.

Not trying to argue...just a question i keep asking people all through the debate, and no-one seemed to have a factual answer
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest