The Student Room Group

Did you vote LEAVE? Do you now regret this?

Scroll to see replies

I Voted Leave, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I've seen the young Remainers cry (Literally in some cases) for the past two days. These people are weak.

Remain lost, deal with it.
Original post by Armastan
I voted leave. Wobbles in the economy were expected and those who didn't see it coming must be pretty clueless. Scotland was likely to get another referendum to leave the UK anyway whether the majority vote was leave or remain so there isn't much difference there.

A 2nd EU referendum is just the Remain voters throwing their toys out the pram because they didn't win the majority. You can't just keep voting so your choice will eventually win, that isn't how democracy works. The vote was Leave, now they need to grow up and deal with it.

you seem quite happy for Scotland to repeat their referendum until they get the result they want, but insult the Remainers for the same thing.
Original post by the bear
you seem quite happy for Scotland to repeat their referendum until they get the result they want, but insult the Remainers for the same thing.

Where in my post did I say that I wanted them to get another referendum? I was merely stating that Nicola Sturgeon was planning on having another one for them, which is true.
Original post by the bear

I want Scotland to just leave, not for their to even be a referendum on it. I'd be happy if Sturgeon just said she was taking them out. They put less in than they get out and they actually get more GDP per capita than those in England and Wales.
Original post by Dieselblue
Voted leave and the past 2 days have been great, the weather is great, I've done well in recent exams and I don't regret my decision. The pound would drop which was common knowledge for brexit voters (and apparently not remainers) but now its actually higher than before.

People act like we are weak and need help from the EU and that's pretty sad.

The pound will also drop again when manfuctuers such as Nissan who use the UK as a gateway to the EU will leave for an EU country such as Germany.

The economy will also be effected when we lose a significant amount of our skilled workers. The uneducated and ignorant won't all of a sudden become skilled, capable workers unfortunately.

The economy will also be effected when our universities who are largely dependent on EU funding will be largely diminished, with many university towns who depend on their university to employ a significant portion of their population suffering.

The economy will also be effected because businesses will be deterred form making new decisions, and new investments because of the uncertainty of our future. That is common sense. This will lead to reduced investment activity and reduced hiring. Less jobs= less wealth.

After the two year window, trade flows will slow considerably, considering that half of UK exports go to Europe and we will no longer have access to the reduced tariffs and market access that members of the EU benefit from.

This is alongside an abundance of other economic consequences you have to look forward to. And on top of that, we have to waste a **** load of money writing and establishing new laws and regulations that were perfectly fine in the first place.

But yes, because the country one day after the referendum -when the exit process hasn't even begun- hasn't gone to the ground, that means that we are going to prosper more than ever doesn't it?

Go bury your head in the sand some more and keep patting yourselves on the backs. Time will tell, and you'll be sorry.
Original post by ben.anderson
I was really stuck in the middle, but went for leave in the end. No, I do not regret my vote. I expected the pound to fall and some problems will be caused short-term however I think in the long run it will be worth it. I think honestly there are going to be lots of hurdles on the way in the next few years. My biggest concern was this will probably put Boris into number 10.

I understand there are a lot of people who are racist and whatever obviously voted leave However many of us were not who voted leave including myself. However people need to respect democracy and stop moaning about 2nd referendums. Lets worry about getting the country sorted now.

Same. I voted leave and expected loads of initial problems but I see it as a better thing long term. I don't like the rules the EU places, the bureaucracy, the fact that we tried to negotiate and got nowhere. I also don't think that mass immigration is a good thing. I am all for immigration and want the right to live in another country but I don't think it works when we have such different standards of living. It makes immigrants work in jobs that they are overqualified for, creating too much competition for lower skilled workers, and then creates a brain drain for the country that they left. It is creating massive problems in countries where there are fewer nurses etc.

It just doesn't work in my opinion, although I would like it to. I love Europe but there are just to many problems with the EU. I would like to have close links, maybe as like Norway, but I felt wrong voting remain for something that I don't agree with as it it currently.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by apfin2
The Brexit vote was partly a protest. Many people did not vote for damage to the economy and the prospect of Scotland leaving the UK.

WANTED - names to sign up to a new petition urging fresh negotiations with the EU followed by a second EU referendum. Email apfin2 at gmail dot com if you voted LEAVE but now regret this.

I voted leave cos i am racist. I have spent the the days since the result cowering under my bed crying. We people who voted leave should be forced to go to Brussels and fellate the thousands of bureaucrats there before our government hand over £75Billion as a sorry package.

Then we need to take in 4million ISIS refugees to make up for our mis deeds

Forgive us EU, for we have sinned
Reply 27
Voted leave and the past 2 days have been great, the weather is great, I've done well in recent exams and I don't regret my decision. The pound would drop which was common knowledge for brexit voters (and apparently not remainers) but now its actually higher than before.

People act like we are weak and need help from the EU and that's pretty sad.

Clearly don't live in London :frown: Constant thunderstorms for days. We've now got a lake in my garden.
Reply 28
The purpose of this question was not to invite convinced LEAVERS to reiterate their views, but to ask the <regretful> LEAVE-voters if they wish the means to be counted in signalling that they might possibly reconsider if the government were, yet again, to demand a radically reformed EU that accommodates Britain's (and other countries') many points of dissatisfaction, followed by a 2nd referendum.

Go to https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215 to see that the existing petition for a 2nd referendum has already passed 2 million, and counting.
Original post by lerjj
Clearly don't live in London :frown: Constant thunderstorms for days. We've now got a lake in my garden.

Must be all the salty remainer voters in London who have rain clouds above their heads haha. Weather is fantastic where I am, sun, sun, sun since Independence day
Original post by Twinpeaks
The pound will also drop again when manfuctuers such as Nissan who use the UK as a gateway to the EU will leave for an EU country such as Germany.

The economy will also be effected when we lose a significant amount of our skilled workers. The uneducated and ignorant won't all of a sudden become skilled, capable workers unfortunately.

The economy will also be effected when our universities who are largely dependent on EU funding will be largely diminished, with many university towns who depend on their university to employ a significant portion of their population suffering.

The economy will also be effected because businesses will be deterred form making new decisions, and new investments because of the uncertainty of our future. That is common sense. This will lead to reduced investment activity and reduced hiring. Less jobs= less wealth.

After the two year window, trade flows will slow considerably, considering that half of UK exports go to Europe and we will no longer have access to the reduced tariffs and market access that members of the EU benefit from.

This is alongside an abundance of other economic consequences you have to look forward to. And on top of that, we have to waste a **** load of money writing and establishing new laws and regulations that were perfectly fine in the first place.

But yes, because the country one day after the referendum -when the exit process hasn't even begun- hasn't gone to the ground, that means that we are going to prosper more than ever doesn't it?

Go bury your head in the sand some more and keep patting yourselves on the backs. Time will tell, and you'll be sorry.

[video="youtube;5vpo9qzsfL4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vpo9qzsfL4[/video]
Do many people care about Scotland leaving? It's much more likely to damage Scotland than anything else.
Reply 32
Not in the slightest!!!
Immigration is a very big issue for me
Original post by welshiee
The long term future is now in the hands of politicians in Westminster who can be brought to account for their actions and replaced with those we the people want.

Wrong. The long term prosperity is in business and the jobs they provide. Politicians can tinker at the edges but in terms of power and influence they come a long way behind business and the media.
Original post by ByEeek
Wrong. The long term prosperity is in business and the jobs they provide. Politicians can tinker at the edges but in terms of power and influence they come a long way behind business and the media.

Wrong. It is in the hands of politicians. If politicians put tax at 90% of income we wont get any business so they'd become irrelevant to the discussion. It is on the people in Westminster to do the right thing to bring business here that thrives and wants to stay here. As for the media, they need completely overhauling as they're a law unto themselves and have no morals whatsoever.
Reply 35
Must be all the salty remainer voters in London who have rain clouds above their heads haha. Weather is fantastic where I am, sun, sun, sun since Independence day

Haha, not salty. I am a bit aggrieved, but hey at least UKIP ought to go away now.

Enjoy your independance day
Yes, and I don't regret it the slightest bit.

Britain will have a great future. If you want to believe otherwise, go ahead, take the necessary economic measures for it - we shall see who profits in the end, you, I or both of us.
Original post by lerjj
Haha, not salty. I am a bit aggrieved, but hey at least UKIP ought to go away now.

Enjoy your independance day

ha, no the battle only just began and with how remain voters are acting, looks like we will get more neutrals on our side
Original post by welshiee
Wrong. It is in the hands of politicians. If politicians put tax at 90% of income we wont get any business so they'd become irrelevant to the discussion. It is on the people in Westminster to do the right thing to bring business here that thrives and wants to stay here. As for the media, they need completely overhauling as they're a law unto themselves and have no morals whatsoever.

True but to a large extent their hands are tied. They have obligations to provide services and infrastructure whilst ensuring enough money comes in to pay for it. And at the same time they are watching their own back for fear of being voted out. As a result most politics is rather short-termist. But if big business like say a major bank, or Rupert Murdoch says jump, most politicians will ask "How high?"

We like to think of our politicians sitting behind a big desk with buttons and knobs that control the country but the reality couldn't be further from the truth. Politicians genuinely have little control over domestic matters. They have much more influence over foreign policy bizarrely.

Listen to this excellent podcast that possess the question "How much does the President [of the USA] actially matter?"

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/much-president-really-matter-rebroadcast/
Reply 39
If you're trying to make a judgement on whether the referendum was right or wrong after 2 days then you really are incredibly stupid, wait at least 2 years then see how you feel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending