The Student Room Group

Don't be naive. We voted leave, we will leave.

I wanted to remain in the EU. If I was old enough to vote, I would have voted to remain. I believe it would have been the best decision, regarding expert opinion and the facts.

I have not signed the petition of 2m signatures proposing a second referendum. It will not do anything, leave won fairly. Yes, maybe if 16/17 year olds could have voted, the vote may have gone differently. And, based on the number of leave voters upset at actually leaving, remain might have a clear win in another referendum.

But, in the words of David Cameron, 'This is a referendum, not a neverendum.'
The country would not be in good shape after a second referendum, the first one, I believe has damaged traditional politics. It would be likely that in a second referendum, turnout would be much lower. If remain won a second referendum 52/48 but with only a 60% turnout, is that fair?
Original post by epage
I wanted to remain in the EU. If I was old enough to vote, I would have voted to remain. I believe it would have been the best decision, regarding expert opinion and the facts.

I have not signed the petition of 2m signatures proposing a second referendum. It will not do anything, leave won fairly. Yes, maybe if 16/17 year olds could have voted, the vote may have gone differently. And, based on the number of leave voters upset at actually leaving, remain might have a clear win in another referendum.

The country would not be in good shape after a second referendum, the first one, I believe has damaged traditional politics. It would be likely that in a second referendum, turnout would be much lower. If remain won a second referendum 52/48 but with only a 60% turnout, is that fair?

I've heard the 15-17 year olds and their resources are so pathetic and funny tbh, no wonder why they would vote remain.
Original post by epage

You tell them
I personally feel people were duped.

Feels to me, essentially the same as the fabrication of consent which occurred in the vote on the Iraq war (i.e. false threats of nuclear weaponry and hostile action; to now the false financial claims made by the leave campaign).

That, and it seeming almost that many votes were fueled by either xenophobia or nationalism. Only the few seemed to have arguments to leave the EU which were valid and evidence based. After much looking there are some possible benefits to leaving, but the possible consequences seem to vastly outweigh any possible benefits.

Not that I understand in depth the arguments - far from it - but also on that basis I think there should never have been a referendum (as very very few are qualified to make such choices). Foolish gambit by the PM.

So I am very happy to support a second vote - one with higher more stringent requirements for change (higher response rate from voters, and possibly but not necessarily a higher threshold).
(edited 7 years ago)
well i initially wanted to stay, but i've heard so many good arguments for leave. Stay seemed so sugar coated. I also didn't like how Cameron was calling out to teens as they'd likely vote stay too.

I also found it strange that both stay and leavers weren't fond of the EU much if at all.

I hear about democracy, and the EU's power, General Rich people's craving for money, and our possible future.

After the pound scare, i wouldn't be surprised if even more teens voted stay in a second referendum and maybe older people too.

then i came across this, It's probably the most unbiased thing i've seen since i started researching... and frankly, it's quite scary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoyM-g1DS4U

I don't want a second referendum. I just want people to work hard to get this country back up to it's best. maybe others will follow us, and the EU will crumble. Countries don't need a superpower to help each other out...

From that video i linked it seems that:
staying is a bad idea
Leaving and asking to join again is the worst thing that could happen
leaving and prospering, will be very very good for us

a second referendum........ wow... i fear for riots..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending