The Student Room Group

What do you buy old people, in terms of gifts?

Right, birthday coming up and I'll be gettin' a "substantial" around of money from my grandparents. Mum has told me to buy them something nice to thank them.

Well the problem is I have no Idea what to get them... I've never seen my grandma wear jewellery, so that's out of the question. I don't think chocolates are going to cut it, which is a shame really since they're the only two gifts I can think of.

What do old people like as gifts? What would you buy for your grandparents as a gift?

I'd prefer to spend around £500 between both of them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:
They're giving you enough for you to warrant you giving them £500 back?!?:colone:

A nice watch, or look into getting a really nice pen. Alternately, if they're still mobile, booking a holiday for them might be appreciated:biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Vicky628
They're giving you enough for you to warrant you giving them £500 back?!?:colone:

A nice watch, or look into getting a really nice pen. Alternately, if they're still mobile, booking a holiday for them might be appreciated:biggrin:

Yeah, I was thinking about fountain pens. I don't know if they would care that much about them though, e,g using ink from bottles etc.. I might get grandad a watch though, he has lots of pretty nice ones, but I guess it's the thought that counts :/

Deathnotes are too expensive :frown:
Original post by 34908seikj
Yeah, I was thinking about fountain pens. I don't know if they would care that much about them though, e,g using ink from bottles etc.. I might get grandad a watch though, he has lots of pretty nice ones, but I guess it's the thought that counts :/

Deathnotes are too expensive :frown:

I love fountain pens, but I don't think you can go wrong with a watch...

Umm that sounds awfully like you're planning on offing your grandparents, which for the sake of legality I would not condone :h:
A coffin.
Money for their funeral
can you get them an experience? I don't know if they are mobile enough but a couple of days somewhere pretty (peaks, lakes etc) in a nice hotel would be lovely? I'm assuming that if they can give you that much money they're probably quite well off which can be annoying for gift giving as you feel like the person could just buy whatever they wanted anyway... in which case I think an experience can work well
Reply 8
What do old people like as gifts? What would you buy for your grandparents as a gift?

Garden Centre vouchers and a decent bottle/case of wine?
Theatre/show tickets?

Think about what they are interested in, what do they do with their spare time, hobbies etc
Reply 10
Original post by Withengar
A coffin.

Original post by The_JoKeR
Money for their funeral

Apparently that would be insensitive, I did already enquire about that.
Reply 11
Cookies or flowers?
Reply 12
Original post by doodle_333
can you get them an experience? I don't know if they are mobile enough but a couple of days somewhere pretty (peaks, lakes etc) in a nice hotel would be lovely? I'm assuming that if they can give you that much money they're probably quite well off which can be annoying for gift giving as you feel like the person could just buy whatever they wanted anyway... in which case I think an experience can work well

Sadly, no they're not very mobile, both of them aren't in the best of shape. I've decided on getting them fob watches as well as a bonsai tree
Right, birthday coming up and I'll be gettin' a "substantial" around of money from my grandparents. Mum has told me to buy them something nice to thank them.

Well the problem is I have no Idea what to get them... I've never seen my grandma wear jewellery, so that's out of the question. I don't think chocolates are going to cut it, which is a shame really since they're the only two gifts I can think of.

Referendum to leave EU :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A coffin of their choice
Reply 15
Original post by PrincessZara
A coffin of their choice

I wish :/
:facepalm:
Reply 17
Sadly, no they're not very mobile, both of them aren't in the best of shape. I've decided on getting them fob watches as well as a bonsai tree

Fob watches? Do they live in a victorian timewarp?

You really don't need to spend loads of money buying them THINGS. Older folk generally already have so much stuff they don't know what to do with it.

Get something that represents your relationship with them. Take them out for a nice meal perhaps, or to an event that you all can enjoy (Goodwood Revival for example), or simply something that reminds them of you - get a nice photo of you and them in a nice frame.

Even just making a fuss over them - you going round having a chat (just you on your own), bring some cake (that you made, not your mum) - will be much more appreciated than anything expensive.
Reply 18
Original post by jneill
Fob watches? Do they live in a victorian timewarp?

You really don't need to spend loads of money buying them THINGS. Older folk generally already have so much stuff they don't know what to do with it.

Get something that represents your relationship with them. Take them out for a nice meal perhaps, or to an event that you all can enjoy (Goodwood Revival for example), or simply something that reminds them of you - get a nice photo of you and them in a nice frame.

Even just making a fuss over them - you going round having a chat (just you on your own), bring some cake (that you made, not your mum) - will be much more appreciated than anything expensive.

I mean, it's a really nice fob watch. I think I just want an excuse to buy it tbh.

But I like the sound of baking a cake for them, I might actually do that, thanks!
I can't really take them out since both of them aren't in the best of condition per-se.
Reply 19

On mothers day, we get our nanas gifts and my grandpa as well so he doesn't feel left out. Last time, we picked out a wider brand new tv for their room and electronic kitchen supplies, she's crazy over them. Maybe that helps you somehow. :dontknow: Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest