The Student Room Group

We should hold a general election ASAP

As a remain voter I am bitter about leaving the eu but the leavers won fair and square. That's democracy. If we hold a 2nd referendum we may as well hold a few more and make it best out of 5. I think voter apathy and ignorance is no excuse , if you choose not to vote and not to care then you deserve the worst outcome possible whatever that may be
At the end of the day a referendum is a two way vote and it doesn't really give us any idea of what kind of country we want to live in.

We have decided to leave the EU but now we should get to decide who leads us out of it and who dictates how it is done. Do we really want Gove, Johnson, IDS, Patel and Farage to decide our destiny?
I personally would have trusted Cameron more than these guys but that' not an option now. The Scots and Northern Irish will finally be able to decide if they want to be a part of the UK or not. Let's decide what kind of country we want post-eu Britain to be

Scroll to see replies

The country is not really a United Kingdom any more.

I think the Scots will leave.

Very strange to have Boris as PM and no real opposition.
From what I heard on 5live yesterday, a lot of Scottish people they spoke to didn't want another referendum in independence. That said, if they want to then let them. However with energy prices & the, Aberdeen oil/gas industry really struggling at the moment I really don't think independence would work for them at the moment.

If Jeremy Corbyn remains as Labour leader then the next Conservative leader will almost certainly call a General Election. Currently the Conservatives have a working majority of only 12 seats. Corbyn is popular with the grass roots but he's a total liability to floating & Blairite voters. If Labour do manage to get a more generally appealing leader the next leader of the Tories may decide it's safer to wait until 2020 (I'm being slightly cynical here).

I was personally believe we should have an election after the Cameron's replacement is chosen & it wouldn't surprise me if it happens.
Same, even though I didn't vote conservative, the U.K. certainly didn't vote for prime minister Boris Johnston, they voted for prime minister David Cameron. Another general election seems necessary since the PM resigned, still I do think the conservatives would win again.
Reply 4
Yes there should be a general election and already some Tory's have suggested it saying that they will need a new mandate to secure their position.

What is interesting is if Corbyn stays on and Boris become prime minister. What will happen to ukip? since they got lots of votes in the last election (does this carry onto this one as I am confused as to why they only got 1 MP?) will they 20-30 MP's this time?

I can see it being a coalition government if we do have one. Also will we have election reform for our general election or will we use the First Past the Post system. If Scotland leaves then surely we will need another GE?
Reply 5
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
Do we really want Gove, Johnson, IDS, Patel and Farage to decide our destiny?

Why do people think Farage is getting a say in this? He's not part of the government, he's not an elected official in this country, he was just a vocal exit person.

The Scots and Northern Irish will finally be able to decide if they want to be a part of the UK or not.

You do know that that's not decided in a general election, right?
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Why do people think Farage is getting a say in this? He's not part of the government, he's not an elected official in this country, he was just a vocal exit person.

You do know that that's not decided in a general election, right?

Well actually.........you are wrong. He has been a very vocal person and has the most experience in dealing with the EU. Furthermore, ukip are elected as MEP's in the EU, so they do have a say in how things will run.

To dismiss him (thats if they can) would be stupid.
Reply 7
Original post by mrITguy
Well actually.........you are wrong. He has been a very vocal person and has the most experience in dealing with the EU. Furthermore, ukip are elected as MEP's in the EU, so they do have a say in how things will run.

To dismiss him (thats if they can) would be stupid.

Being vocal is a qualification now? So why isn't Brian Blessed PM?

And given that UKIP MEPs regularly boycott a huge proportion of meetings our 'regular' MPs have far more credence in this argument. Now that we're leaving, our MEPs become even less relevant.

So no, I still don't get why we're giving him so much credence.
Reply 8
It won't happen but I'd quite like to see Andrea Leadsom as PM.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Being vocal is a qualification now? So why isn't Brian Blessed PM?

And given that UKIP MEPs regularly boycott a huge proportion of meetings our 'regular' MPs have far more credence in this argument. Now that we're leaving, our MEPs become even less relevant.

So no, I still don't get why we're giving him so much credence.

No, I meant in the sense that he has been the most vocal in wanting to leave the EU a lot longer than the others.

Your second point really doesn't escape the fact that they have been elected as MEP's but the public and thus have weight behind them as much as normal MP's (in fact more since they were elected purely to discuss EU issues that affect the uk).

Because without Ukip/Nigel Farage we wouldn't have had this referendum and it wouldn't be a big issue since not many people knew what it was :P
Original post by mrITguy
No, I meant in the sense that he has been the most vocal in wanting to leave the EU a lot longer than the others.

Your second point really doesn't escape the fact that they have been elected as MEP's but the public and thus have weight behind them as much as normal MP's (in fact more since they were elected purely to discuss EU issues that affect the uk).

Because without Ukip/Nigel Farage we wouldn't have had this referendum and it wouldn't be a big issue since not many people knew what it was :P

I still don't buy into the argument that that should give him any say in how things are run. He hasn't held elected office in this country, let alone in the government of the day.

The token 1 UKIP MP has more right to involvement than he does.
Original post by Drewski
I still don't buy into the argument that that should give him any say in how things are run. He hasn't held elected office in this country, let alone in the government of the day.

The token 1 UKIP MP has more right to involvement than he does.

But understand while ukip only have 1 UKIP MP, they have 24 MEP's.
Original post by mrITguy
But understand while ukip only have 1 UKIP MP, they have 24 MEP's.

But still, so what?
Original post by Drewski
But still, so what?

As I already said, there role is to discuss "have the power to approve, amend or reject nearly all EU legislation."

So whatever the leader of whoever is dealing with the EU. They will need the backing of the MEP's. Otherwise the MEP's can overrule it.
Original post by mrITguy
As I already said, there role is to discuss "have the power to approve, amend or reject nearly all EU legislation."

So whatever the leader of whoever is dealing with the EU. They will need the backing of the MEP's. Otherwise the MEP's can overrule it.

In terms of negotiating an exit I'm sure all UK MEPs are an irrelevance, they (the EU) wouldn't be able to have people who are voting two ways.
Original post by Drewski
In terms of negotiating an exit I'm sure all UK MEPs are an irrelevance, they (the EU) wouldn't be able to have people who are voting two ways.

I disagree. I would imagine if some compromise like accepting the free movement of people in exchange for access to the single market, then ukip MEP's will have a say in that.
Original post by mrITguy
I disagree. I would imagine if some compromise like accepting the free movement of people in exchange for access to the single market, then ukip MEP's will have a say in that.

1- from everything that's been said I think the chance of being offered any compromise is remote at best.
2- anything that is offered will be offered by the EU leaders, not those we have put within the EU.

The EU have been very clear that they don't want to make this seem like a good thing, that they don't want to give any other country a reason to do the same. Allowing our own MEPs to have a say would be massively counterproductive.
Original post by Drewski
1- from everything that's been said I think the chance of being offered any compromise is remote at best.
2- anything that is offered will be offered by the EU leaders, not those we have put within the EU.

The EU have been very clear that they don't want to make this seem like a good thing, that they don't want to give any other country a reason to do the same. Allowing our own MEPs to have a say would be massively counterproductive.

Well it was just an example since there is talk of having a Norway system, but I hope that doesn't happen.

On point number 2 I agree that it will be offered by the EU leaders. But the ukip MEP's will have to be "on the table" when these things are being discussed. To do it without them would be undemocratic as ANY agreements the uk wants to keep will need to be run through them since that is what they were elected to do.
I don't really agree with the OP in terms of needing a new election as i'm perfectly fine with representative democracy (it's more important that we hold a general election to ratify the exit agreement or vote for a party wishing to stay).

With the above being said though, i have never seen Labour voters ever stick the middle finger up to their party on that scale before and for the first time i can see a real path to securing monster Tory majorities and regaining the working class vote. If the Tories can elect a center-right Euro-skeptic who genuinely and resolutely focuses on putting the working poor and the bulk of England first rather than London then i think we have the potential to absolutely crush Labour.

In short, i don't think we need to but i do think it may be in the Tory self interest to kick labour while they are down because the electorate really don't seem to be in the mood to do as the Islington set tell them.
Original post by Rakas21
I don't really agree with the OP in terms of needing a new election as i'm perfectly fine with representative democracy (it's more important that we hold a general election to ratify the exit agreement or vote for a party wishing to stay).

With the above being said though, i have never seen Labour voters ever stick the middle finger up to their party on that scale before and for the first time i can see a real path to securing monster Tory majorities and regaining the working class vote. If the Tories can elect a center-right Euro-skeptic who genuinely and resolutely focuses on putting the working poor and the bulk of England first rather than London then i think we have the potential to absolutely crush Labour.

In short, i don't think we need to but i do think it may be in the Tory self interest to kick labour while they are down because the electorate really don't seem to be in the mood to do as the Islington set tell them.

I agree with you about labour, but in terms of the working class going to be eaten up by the Tories. I just don't see it happening (even if they take a centre right approach) as do not forget the Tory's have a horrible reputation among the working class (including what this current goverment has done) and most are still resentful of them due to what Maggie Thatcher did.

The one I feel that will most likely to replace labour is Ukip. The only trouble they have got is the First Past The Post system....Although with their votes from the last election (does this carry onto the next election?) . Unless we change the voting system to make it representative (like we have just have) but I doubt we will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending