The Student Room Group

This isn't democracy.

"This isn’t democracy; it is Russian roulette for republics. A decision of enormous consequence far greater even than amending a country’s constitution (of course, the United Kingdom lacks a written one) has been made without any appropriate checks and balances."

"Modern democracies have evolved systems of checks and balances to protect the interests of minorities and to avoid making uninformed decisions with catastrophic consequences."

"That’s why enacting, say, a constitutional amendment generally requires clearing far higher hurdles than passing a spending bill. Yet the current international standard for breaking up a country is arguably less demanding than a vote for lowering the drinking age."

Spoiler

I couldn't agree more, this isn't democracy in my eyes. For a modern democracy, I'm pretty shocked that such a detrimental decision could be left up to the general public alone with no system of checks and balances.

I don't applaud the US for their rigid way of going about things, infact I find it ridiculous that the "most powerful man in the world" has to fall to his knees in front of his own government in attempt to get certain things through and frequently to no avail but honestly, we really could have done with implementing some elements of this system of checks and balances in the recent referendum.

Scroll to see replies

Yes I am still bitter, Sorry.
It is a very messy situation indeed. :sad:
FFS here we go
Original post by Fantastic Fan
FFS here we go

What?
Sorry but it is time to let go of the free cake you've been having all this time, and prove to the rest of the world that you have the graft worthy of foreign investment
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
What?

This is how democracy works.

You cast your vote, wait for the results, and accept it.

You can't protest a democratic vote, doing that makes you a fascist, so get over it.
Original post by shawn_o1
Sorry but it is time to let go of the free cake you've been having all this time, and prove to the rest of the world that you have the graft worthy of foreign investment

What do you define as "free cake"?
Reply 8
Sorry love but what we had was pure beautiful democracy

No polluting bits like checks and balances, which ultimately become corrupt...
Reply 9
I've spent the best part of my young life being berated and scorned by the majority of my age group for my belief in this country and even in defeat you guys still won't pull your heads out of your arses.

Sincerely: 51.9% of the country.
These people telling us to "accept the democratic decision" are only supporting democracy because it benefits them. It's not democratic to lie and manipulate the public with millions of pounds of advertising made up facts, and they'd be sure to tell us that if they'd lost.
The government we elected democratically decided to give us a democratic referendum so the country could vote on an important issue. I'm failing to see why this isn't democracy...
Original post by Tool Box
Sorry love but what we had was pure beautiful democracy

No polluting bits like checks and balances, which ultimately become corrupt...

Right, so spending millions of pounds on campaign advertising to spread categorical lies isn't corruption.

How do you feel about the Tata Steel bidders pulling out due to the Brexit? Since you're so much in support of a Brexit for the working class.
Original post by SeanFM
It is a very messy situation indeed. :sad:

Not really, the majority of the people who voted wanted to leave, we will be leaving, there's nothing messy about that, in democracy terms anyway.
Original post by JordanL_
Right, so spending millions of pounds on campaign advertising to spread categorical lies isn't corruption.

I know, especially the 9.3 million of taxpayers money to produce that government drivel.
Reply 15

How do you feel about the Tata Steel bidders pulling out due to the Brexit? Since you're so much in support of a Brexit for the working class.

What about the blatent lies and scaremongering done by the remain side? What about the BBC using Joe Cox's death as propaganda to vote remain?

We working class will endure, and suffer if it means getting our country back, whatever the cost, we will fight .... Churchill spirit
These people telling us to "accept the democratic decision" are only supporting democracy because it benefits them. It's not democratic to lie and manipulate the public with millions of pounds of advertising made up facts, and they'd be sure to tell us that if they'd lost.

Exactly.

Also, It's not very democratic in itself to tell us to "shut up", we have rights to freedom of speech/expression.
Sigh. It is democracy. It's just that you don't like what's been said.

And that's perfectly fine. But it's not a legitimate cause for complaint.
Original post by James82
I know, especially the 9.3 million of taxpayers money to produce that government drivel.

Love how you haven't commented on the blatant lies, which would have probably led to criminal prosecution if this had been a general election.

Original post by Tool Box
What about the blatent lies and scaremongering done by the remain side?

Which lies?

We working class will endure, and suffer if it means getting our country back, whatever the cost, we will fight .... Churchill spirit

So you voted to leave because there weren't any jobs, and now there are even less jobs you're just going to "endure and suffer"? Absolutely crazy. What do you think you've gained?
Reply 19
Don't know why I came onto this clear click-bait thread, but the content was totally as expected.

6/10. Good effort, drew me in but needs to be more unique next time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending