The Student Room Group

This isn't democracy.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James82
In what way? By not having a referendum?

Can you read?
"democracy is only democracy when I get the answer I want"- some sour liberal leftie remainer cuck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
"democracy is only democracy when I get the answer I want"- some sour liberal leftie remainer cuck

Posted from TSR Mobile

That isn't what I am saying and for what is supposedly a non-binding and advisory referendum, things don't seem quite right. :rolleyes:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
That isn't what I am saying and for what is supposedly a non-binding and advisory referendum, things don't seem quite right. :rolleyes:

It is de facto binding, no government would dare go against it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you read?

Yes you said the vote could have been handled better. I was asking whether you meant by not having a referendum. Perhaps you meant the ballot boxes could have been stuffed with a couple of million more remain votes. Or, perhaps it would help if you could just enlighten us on what you meant by it could have been handled better.
its what the uk wanted and it is what we will get
Reply 46
Original post by Reue
Don't know why I came onto this clear click-bait thread, but the content was totally as expected.

6/10. Good effort, drew me in but needs to be more unique next time.

Pft well you sound just like Jeremy Corbyn

What doesn't seem quite right? Are you suggesting it was rigged?
Original post by welshiee
Yes, horribly, but its a personal thing that I am not going to air on a public forum.

It's okay - didn't expect facts anyway.
Original post by JordanL_
These people telling us to "accept the democratic decision" are only supporting democracy because it benefits them. It's not democratic to lie and manipulate the public with millions of pounds of advertising made up facts, and they'd be sure to tell us that if they'd lost.

But you're the same! You only support democracy when it suits you!

What, let's just have more referendums until we get the 'right' answer?

If anything, it was the remain side that had the most money for campaigning, because all the banks supported them.

1466874779114.jpg

I don't applaud the US for their rigid way of going about things, infact I find it ridiculous that the "most powerful man in the world" has to fall to his knees in front of his own government in attempt to get certain things through and frequently to no avail but honestly, we really could have done with implementing some elements of this system of checks and balances in the recent referendum.

There are checks and balances. The people voted in a referendum that was not legally binding, and the UK is still a member of the European Union. No moves have been made to change that situation, there has just been a lot of talk about "what ifs" following the result of the referendum.

The people have no power to take Britain out of the EU.

The only way Britain can leave the EU is if the elected government of the day chooses to do so.

So there is a very strong check and balance to the referendum like you want: the elected representatives of the people will make the final decision.
Reply 51
Original post by Abstract_Prism
But you're the same! You only support democracy when it suits you!

What, let's just have more referendums until we get the 'right' answer?

If anything, it was the remain side that had the most money for campaigning, because all the banks supported them.

1466874779114.jpg

(Read in bold) exactly
Original post by tanyapotter
It's okay - didn't expect facts anyway.

No, I just don't want to discuss a personal tragedy on a public forum. Nice of you to try and exploit that to your own end. Shows your true character.
Reply 53
Original post by MagicNMedicine
There are checks and balances. The people voted in a referendum that was not legally binding, and the UK is still a member of the European Union. No moves have been made to change that situation, there has just been a lot of talk about "what ifs" following the result of the referendum.

The only way Britain can leave the EU is if the elected government of the day chooses to do so.

So there is a very strong check and balance to the referendum like you want: the elected representatives of the people will make the final decision.

Yes but they have to begin the negotiations. Can you imagine if they didn't?
No, I just don't want to discuss a personal tragedy on a public forum. Nice of you to try and exploit that to your own end. Shows your true character.

Unless Juncker literally came into your house and killed your whole family, I don't believe you've suffered a "personal tragedy" solely at the hands of the European Union. Don't mind me though.
Reply 55

What true character? I get if you don't want to go into some personal story really deeply but you can't blame someone for not trusting you on that. A 'personal tragedy' isn't very compelling or evidential.
Reply 56
Unless Juncker literally came into your house and killed your whole family, I don't believe you've suffered a "personal tragedy" solely at the hands of the European Union. Don't mind me though.

I agree

Original post by Wimsett
What true character? I get if you don't want to go into some personal story really deeply but you can't blame someone for not trusting you on that. A 'personal tragedy' isn't very compelling or evidential.

It just shows that you have no true understanding of what is going on in the world then, or the impact the EU is having on the lives of many people. Delusions of grandeur.
Original post by MagicNMedicine

The elected representatives of the people will uphold the will of the people.
It just shows that you have no true understanding of what is going on in the world then, or the impact the EU is having on the lives of many people. Delusions of grandeur.

Enlighten me then, because right now it seems like you are using a "personal tragedy" to hide the fact that there is no tangible evidence that you have been severely personally disadvantaged by the EU since our membership of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending