The Student Room Group

Will you guys just shut the **** up about losing the referendum?

Before you dismiss me "as an arrogant/ignorant Leave Voter", I am not completely chuffed with the results as well as many other people. I haven't really been following the referendum much since I have been busy with exams, and I was 50/50 on both sides of remain and leave. If I looked into it more, I feel as if I may lean towards remaining in the EU rather than leaving but I am not entirely sure, so we can agree partially at least. I am not going to discuss my own viewpoint of whether it is best that we leave or not, but I am into a "controversial" point.

Remain voters. You lost. Sorry. This is how a democracy works because we live in a democracy (surprisingly). You give the people the right to vote, and they decide how the country is run. You can be upset with the result sure, I am slightly as well, but you do not call for another referendum or throw a tantrum on how "unfair" it is; you just look like a spoiled child in a Tesco.
"But mummy, I wanted to remain!"
"Well tough **** Jimmy!".

What has been done, has been done. I'm obviously going to get the comment that "It's not a democracy because the posters were corrupt and misleading". Yes, campaigning methods were misleading, but aren't campaigning methods during other elections also "corrupt" and highly biased as well? This has been happening for years and years. Do I support this? No, I don't, it's pretty *****y to mislead the public to change their politicial view, but I doubt all leave voters voted because of toxic posters and random statistics thrown by the parties themselves. If you do that, you're a bit of an idiot. You look into the situation yourself from unbiased sources, and you decide what is called an opinion, a concept I think some of you cannot comprehend. And this still is a democracy, you still have the right to vote. I am going to get the comment that leave won by 2% (approximately) which "isn't a lot", and therefore want another referendum. Well, 2% is about 1 million + people, so you could say it is quite a bit, at least in my opinion.

So yeah. tl;dr stop ****ing whining, welcome to democracy. If you want to try and change a democratic vote and stop brexit from happening, then you're kinda a fascist...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why? Why the hell should we shut up?
Keeping on protesting (actual protests not TSR threads), only positive can come out of it. We could end up with a decent EU deal, we could ensure that all the EU policies are implemented nationally, we can do so much. If we shut up, then we just surrender to the anti-intellectual campaign of farce lead by the magnificently deceiving UKIP party and Farage.
Only good can come out of protest, no good comes out of silence, not these days!
Your attempt to silence the opposition defies the fundamental principles of liberal democracy: to have discussions.
Let me just hold a referendum to see if us remain voters would like to continue criticizing the result.

Seconded you say? A landslide victory in favour you say?

Well I guess we should continue.
Original post by Legendary Quest
Your attempt to silence the opposition defies the fundamental principles of liberal democracy: to have discussions.

So does calling for a second referendum because the first one didn't go your way or saying old people shouldn't be allowed to vote etc.
Reply 5
Original post by oShahpo
Keeping on protesting (actual protests not TSR threads), only positive can come out of it. We could end up with a decent EU deal, we could ensure that all the EU policies are implemented nationally, we can do so much. If we shut up, then we just surrender to the anti-intellectual campaign of farce lead by the magnificently deceiving UKIP party and Farage.
Only good can come out of protest, no good comes out of silence, not these days!

Hopefully, we will be able to get a good deal through the negotiations or whatever. I am not talking about the people who protest in favour of accepting the result, and trying their best as possible to keep the trade between countries, laws, etc through protests and campaigning. If you are against the deceiving UKIP (which I agree with by the way UKIP is decieving) and want to strive for the best possible outcome for this result whilst taking it, that's fine by me (as if you need my approval though, I'm just some ******* on the internet).

Who I am talking about however, are the people who are signing petitions and protesting for ANOTHER EU REFERENDUM and calling the UK undemocratic just because they did not get the result that they did not want.
Reply 6
Original post by CharlesJH
Hopefully, we will be able to get a good deal through the negotiations or whatever. I am not talking about the people who protest in favour of accepting the result, and trying their best as possible to keep the trade between countries, laws, etc through protests and campaigning. If you are against the deceiving UKIP (which I agree with by the way UKIP is decieving) and want to strive for the best possible outcome for this result whilst taking it, that's fine by me (as if you need my approval though, I'm just some ******* on the internet).

Who I am talking about however, are the people who are signing petitions and protesting for ANOTHER EU REFERENDUM and calling the UK undemocratic just because they did not get the result that they did not want.

I signed this petition despite knowing and believing a 100% that such thing will never happen. The reason I did is to show parliament that it's the public isn't just going to sleep on it, we're not going to take it with a pinch of salt. If it does happen, which I think it will, it will be on our terms, not theirs. They have had their say in screwing it up, now we get to have our chance to fix it.
Reply 7

That's funny, I could say the same about people wanting the result to be changed to remain or for there to be another referendum...
Reply 8
Original post by oShahpo

Do you really think that a single leave voter voted for out because they wanted "all the EU policies implemented nationally"? If that is what you are protesting for then it is just as fascist as not respecting the will of the people in the referendum.
Reply 9
Original post by oShahpo
I signed this petition despite knowing and believing a 100% that such thing will never happen. The reason I did is to show parliament that it's the public isn't just going to sleep on it, we're not going to take it with a pinch of salt. If it does happen, which I think it will, it will be on our terms, not theirs. They have had their say in screwing it up, now we get to have our chance to fix it.

As perhaps a remain supporter (still unsure), I personally did not sign the petition to have another referendum vote, because I feel that if we had another one the outcome would still be the same and there really is no point of going through this same process again. If there was a petition that was to strive to tell the UK government to strive for certain agreements and laws I would probably sign it. This one however, I do not feel like signing since going through the process of voting again sounds pointless and silly to me.
Remainer: LEAVE CAMPAIGN STATISTICS AND PROMISES WERE UNFULFILLED AND MISLEADING!

CAMERON: A VOTE FOR LEAVE WILL MEAN WW3!
JUNKER: A VOTE FOR LEAVE WILL BE THE END OF WESTERN CIVILISATION
KENNY: A VOTE FOR LEAVE WILL RECOMMENCE THE IRISH CONFLICT
SPAIN: WE WILL TAKE BACK GILBRALTER!
FRANCE: YOU WILL BE AS SIGNIFICANT AS GUERNSEY

cool story bro, if you really think the leave camp one by trying to mislead the public you should probably look closer to home, in fact it was the remain camp that probably did most of the work for them.
i am loving it!

property needs to fall to normal levels now, many of those dodgy banks in London need to get moving!

Absolutely, but it 'defies the fundamental principles of liberal democracy' to keep re-running a vote until the electorate get the 'right answer'. I know it's the way the EU usually operates, but not on this occasion. Have discussions by all means, but for goodness sake stop the bloody petition.
Original post by Mr Smurf
So does calling for a second referendum because the first one didn't go your way or saying old people shouldn't be allowed to vote etc.

That's funny, I could say the same about people wanting the result to be changed to remain or for there to be another referendum...

I don't dispute that. What I am against is the notion of silencing your opposition purely because they are saying things you do not agree with. Remainers wanting a second referendum does not validate you wanting people to 'shut up'. Both are equally wrong.
Original post by toronto353
Absolutely, but it 'defies the fundamental principles of liberal democracy' to keep re-running a vote until the electorate get the 'right answer'. I know it's the way the EU usually operates, but not on this occasion. Have discussions by all means, but for goodness sake stop the bloody petition.

Again, I'm not arguing in favour of the petition. I'm simply arguing that having discussions is part of democracy and telling people to shut up defies that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by AverageExcellence
Remainer: LEAVE CAMPAIGN STATISTICS AND PROMISES WERE UNFULFILLED AND MISLEADING!

cool story bro, if you really think the leave camp one by trying to mislead the public you should probably look closer to home, in fact it was the remain camp that probably did most of the work for them.

With this I want to bring up another point I didn't make clear in my original post.
You guys do realise that not all leave voters voted leave because of some huge ****ing bus or poster right? Like I said, people have formed an opinion on the situation with other resources and arguments and voted how they wanted.
I'm not entirely sure that you realise that this vote has screwed a lot of people over in a pretty massive way. They are absolutely entitled to complain about it.

Well Spain is already trying to get Gilbralter back so who knows :tongue:
Before you dismiss me "as an arrogant/ignorant Leave Voter", I am not completely chuffed with the results as well as many other people. I haven't really been following the referendum much since I have been busy with exams, and I was 50/50 on both sides of remain and leave. If I looked into it more, I feel as if I may lean towards remaining in the EU rather than leaving but I am not entirely sure, so we can agree partially at least. I am not going to discuss my own viewpoint of whether it is best that we leave or not, but I am into a "controversial" point.

Remain voters. You lost. Sorry. This is how a democracy works because we live in a democracy (surprisingly). You give the people the right to vote, and they decide how the country is run. You can be upset with the result sure, I am slightly as well, but you do not call for another referendum or throw a tantrum on how "unfair" it is; you just look like a spoiled child in a Tesco.
"But mummy, I wanted to remain!"
"Well tough **** Jimmy!".

What has been done, has been done. I'm obviously going to get the comment that "It's not a democracy because the posters were corrupt and misleading". Yes, campaigning methods were misleading, but aren't campaigning methods during other elections also "corrupt" and highly biased as well? This has been happening for years and years. Do I support this? No, I don't, it's pretty *****y to mislead the public to change their politicial view, but I doubt all leave voters voted because of toxic posters and random statistics thrown by the parties themselves. If you do that, you're a bit of an idiot. You look into the situation yourself from unbiased sources, and you decide what is called an opinion, a concept I think some of you cannot comprehend. And this still is a democracy, you still have the right to vote. I am going to get the comment that leave won by 2% (approximately) which "isn't a lot", and therefore want another referendum. Well, 2% is about 1 million + people, so you could say it is quite a bit, at least in my opinion.

So yeah. tl;dr stop ****ing whining, welcome to democracy. If you want to try and change a democratic vote and stop brexit from happening, then you're kinda a fascist...

Perhaps by starting threads like this you are the one keeping it alive?

Telling people to shut the **** up as you describe it, would tend to have te opposite effect.

Yea, but not a single remain voter based their opinion on WW3, the fall of the Western civilisation (both of which may very well happen in the near future if the EU falls), the Irish conflict, nor for Gibraltar (which again may very will happen).

We voted remain to avoid the fall of the economy (which is happening), to avoid the breaking of the union (which is happening), to avoid the fall of London as the commerce centre of Europe (which is happening), to avoid the rise of populist right (which is happening), what else do you need?
Reply 19

Wow you've done a really fantastic job of misconstruing statements there. :congrats:

OP: Given the tremendous repercussions of this referendum, I think we're fully entitled to complain for as long as we want. Maybe action will make the circumstances not so dire. We're certainly not going to 'shut up' because some people on the internet are annoyed that they have to see this.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending