The Student Room Group

We should hold a general election ASAP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrITguy
I agree with you about labour, but in terms of the working class going to be eaten up by the Tories. I just don't see it happening (even if they take a centre right approach) as do not forget the Tory's have a horrible reputation among the working class (including what this current goverment has done) and most are still resentful of them due to what Maggie Thatcher did.

The one I feel that will most likely to replace labour is Ukip. The only trouble they have got is the First Past The Post system....Although with their votes from the last election (does this carry onto the next election?) . Unless we change the voting system to make it representative (like we have just have) but I doubt we will.

In terms of an election this year or even 2020 your probably right however a lot of people overestimate the degree of hate for the Tories that still exists and the extent to which Labour has bled. Look at seats like Middlesborough South, Wakefield, Halifax, Wrexham, Clywd South, Alyn and Delyn. These are the kind of seats which the Tories are on the cusp of taking at the next election,

If the Tories play things right then while it'll take a while for the Welsh Valleys and Tyne and Wear to come round, they could make serious progress against a Labour party who will probably try duck the issues. In the meantime, there are notable seats like the above which with a good effort are very possibly blue for the first times in a century in some.
Original post by Rakas21
In terms of an election this year or even 2020 your probably right however a lot of people overestimate the degree of hate for the Tories that still exists and the extent to which Labour has bled. Look at seats like Middlesborough South, Wakefield, Halifax, Wrexham, Clywd South, Alyn and Delyn. These are the kind of seats which the Tories are on the cusp of taking at the next election,

If the Tories play things right then while it'll take a while for the Welsh Valleys and Tyne and Wear to come round, they could make serious progress against a Labour party who will probably try duck the issues. In the meantime, there are notable seats like the above which with a good effort are very possibly blue for the first times in a century in some.

Hmm, maybe for the younger population but certainly not those who are old enough to remember the mining days. Those that worked at the pit and voted labour, most vowed never to vote Tory.

They might get a few seats like you suggest, but the Tory's will not make a big enough impact on labour to wipe them out. Ukip on the other can fill this role and we may see some teaming up to get rid of labour.

If a general election is held this year , how many seats do you think ukip will get?
Original post by mrITguy
Hmm, maybe for the younger population but certainly not those who are old enough to remember the mining days. Those that worked at the pit and voted labour, most vowed never to vote Tory.

They might get a few seats like you suggest, but the Tory's will not make a big enough impact on labour to wipe them out. Ukip on the other can fill this role and we may see some teaming up to get rid of labour.

If a general election is held this year , how many seats do you think ukip will get?

Depends on the new Tory leader but i'd expect a larger Tory majority with maybe 5 Ukip seats.
Original post by Rakas21
Depends on the new Tory leader but i'd expect a larger Tory majority with maybe 5 Ukip seats.

Come on....give me more meat than that :colone:

What if its Boris or May that leads the party? also would it make a difference if Corbyn stays as leader or goes and is replaced with a blairrite?
Original post by mrITguy
Come on....give me more meat than that :colone:

What if its Boris or May that leads the party? also would it make a difference if Corbyn stays as leader or goes and is replaced with a blairrite?

FPTP screws you and in theory, the Tories should not bleed to you.

I think they both win comfortably against Corbyn but May would be the better bet. Changing leader would help but they have a bigger issue in terms of the divide between their voters and the Islington set.
Reply 25
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Same, even though I didn't vote conservative, the U.K. certainly didn't vote for prime minister Boris Johnston, they voted for prime minister David Cameron. Another general election seems necessary since the PM resigned, still I do think the conservatives would win again.

No one actually placed a vote for Cameron to be prime minister.
Original post by Rakas21
FPTP screws you and in theory, the Tories should not bleed to you.

I think they both win comfortably against Corbyn but May would be the better bet. Changing leader would help but they have a bigger issue in terms of the divide between their voters and the Islington set.

I do not understand Screws me?? Tories should not bleed to you? Are you meaning, as a working class person? or something else. Please explain more.

Oh ok thats interesting. I agree and ye the divide is another reason why I cannot see the Tory's gaining the working class votes as the rich in London hate the rest of England now :P so they will have to make a choice as to who they will appeal too.

Edit: I have just heard that the lib dems will call for a 2nd referendum on the EU if elected..........
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
No one actually placed a vote for Cameron to be prime minister.

Technically no but people did vote for him even if his name wasn't on the ballot, they thought he would be prime minister. And circumstances have changed now anyway, they'll need a completely different cabinet and the direction of the party is changing too so maybe a new manifesto...
Original post by mrITguy
I do not understand Screws me?? Tories should not bleed to you? Are you meaning, as a working class person? or something else. Please explain more.

Oh ok thats interesting. I agree and ye the divide is another reason why I cannot see the Tory's gaining the working class votes as the rich in London hate the rest of England now :P so they will have to make a choice as to who they will appeal too.

Edit: I have just heard that the lib dems will call for a 2nd referendum on the EU if elected..........

First Past The Post screws Ukip. The Tories should not lose votes to Ukip. It's Labour who have the much bigger problem that who their leader is.
Original post by Rakas21
First Past The Post screws Ukip. The Tories should not lose votes to Ukip. It's Labour who have the much bigger problem that who their leader is.

Oh ok, I am not ukip just so you know....

Ye the First Past The Post system does give a huge advantage to the bigger party's. However, the more interesting question is will there be electoral reform before our general election? Since it is back at the top of the list due to us using a proportionate system for the EU referendum.
Original post by mrITguy
Oh ok, I am not ukip just so you know....

Ye the First Past The Post system does give a huge advantage to the bigger party's. However, the more interesting question is will there be electoral reform before our general election? Since it is back at the top of the list due to us using a proportionate system for the EU referendum.

Ah.

There's no chance that a Tory government will ever bring in proportional representation.
Original post by Rakas21
Ah.

There's no chance that a Tory government will ever bring in proportional representation.

Ye, but did the cross party petition do anything after the 2010 general election?
Original post by mrITguy
Ye, but did the cross party petition do anything after the 2010 general election?

What petition?
Ah. Won't have any effect.
Original post by Drewski
Why do people think Farage is getting a say in this? He's not part of the government, he's not an elected official in this country, he was just a vocal exit person.

You do know that that's not decided in a general election, right?

Scotland have made it clear that they don't want a Tory government, so if Corbyn's labour don't win they can finally decide if they want to remain in the UK
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
Scotland have made it clear that they don't want a Tory government, so if Corbyn's labour don't win they can finally decide if they want to remain in the UK

They did finally decide 2 years ago. They said no.
Original post by Drewski
They did finally decide 2 years ago. They said no.

They didn't know they were leaving the EU 2 years ago. It has been made clear that Scots were heavily in favor of the remaining. Sturgeon said that the SNP would do whatever they could to secure Scotland membership of europe with an eu flag on one side and a scots flag on the other not a Union flag in sight.
Scotland is as good as gone, and imo we don't deserve them.
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
They didn't know they were leaving the EU 2 years ago. It has been made clear that Scots were heavily in favor of the remaining. Sturgeon said that the SNP would do whatever they could to secure Scotland membership of europe with an eu flag on one side and a scots flag on the other not a Union flag in sight.
Scotland is as good as gone, and imo we don't deserve them.

There is no mechanism - zero - for Scotland to retain EU status while the UK leaves. They are not an independent country and would not be one before we left. They would then have to go through the process of joining the EU, which would leave them with a few years in the international wilderness that they simply cannot afford.

It will completely bankrupt the country, they'd end up in a worse state than Greece.

Sturgeon can say what she likes, she hasn't got a legal leg to stand on.
Reply 39
Have a general election with Corbyn in opposition??? Haahahaha you'll give bojo and friends a LANDSLIDE victory.

Quick Reply

Latest