The Student Room Group

Could 16 year olds have swung the referendum?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by niv1234
Yes me too. I think its Germany's most popular political satire show or something. They have really funny ones Donald Trump:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO8cFksjgfg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWP5FN3D0s

Oh ok, how do you feel? You must be really clever to do further maths I struggle with normal maths. It must be weird to be the only girl in a class but I wouldn't know what that was like ( I go to an all girls school. Yes I know what you mean most people at my school also finished last Friday but I had history on Tuesday. Oh ok thats good, I'm not as happy as I thought I would be. So nervous for results day :s-smilie:

It's cuz I did my Maths GCSE in Yr 10 and I got an A, so I was selected to do FM. It bridges between GCSE and A-Level, so it's really good for us cuz it gives us a backing and will make it easier for us when we go on to do A-Levels.

I'm so over the moon cuz I really have worked hard for this and I've neglected all my TV shows and stayed strict with revision. I'm optimistic for Results Day and I guess now it's just the waiting game :wink:

Probably chat to you later, need to set up for dinner as I'll be breaking my fast soon!
Original post by auntpolly
It's cuz I did my Maths GCSE in Yr 10 and I got an A, so I was selected to do FM. It bridges between GCSE and A-Level, so it's really good for us cuz it gives us a backing and will make it easier for us when we go on to do A-Levels.

I'm so over the moon cuz I really have worked hard for this and I've neglected all my TV shows and stayed strict with revision. I'm optimistic for Results Day and I guess now it's just the waiting game :wink:

Probably chat to you later, need to set up for dinner as I'll be breaking my fast soon!

Oh ok. That makes sense. I didn't take any GCSEs early.

Oh ok, good luck with everything:biggrin:. Me too I am going to be binge watching aso many shows. Any recommendations.

Oh ok. Have a nice dinner. When does fasting end this year?

Spoiler

Original post by niv1234
Oh ok. That makes sense. I didn't take any GCSEs early.

Oh ok, good luck with everything:biggrin:. Me too I am going to be binge watching aso many shows. Any recommendations.

Oh ok. Have a nice dinner. When does fasting end this year?

Spoiler

I mainly watch shows on Netflix, like Pretty Little Liars (its just restarted) and Teen Wolf. I'd recommend The Flash and Arrow if you like superhero movies. Also DC Legends, Gotham. Maybe House of Cards as its political.

The last fast will probably be on the 6th July. Since it started 7th June, next year it'll start 10 days before that date, so the 27th May :smile:

One last thing, I personally don't think it's about what individuals have gained from being in the EU, but appreciating all that hasn't happened to us, that may have sounded a little confusing. But, I mean it's about realizing that we haven't been involved in wars, etc and it's been more or less peaceful for us.
Original post by auntpolly
I mainly watch shows on Netflix, like Pretty Little Liars (its just restarted) and Teen Wolf. I'd recommend The Flash and Arrow if you like superhero movies. Also DC Legends, Gotham. Maybe House of Cards as its political.

The last fast will probably be on the 6th July. Since it started 7th June, next year it'll start 10 days before that date, so the 27th May :smile:

One last thing, I personally don't think it's about what individuals have gained from being in the EU, but appreciating all that hasn't happened to us, that may have sounded a little confusing. But, I mean it's about realizing that we haven't been involved in wars, etc and it's been more or less peaceful for us.

Oh ok thanks I will try some of those.

Thanks

That makes sense.

Also what GCSEs did you do?
My lazy pig of a brother did not vote :colonhash:.
Original post by Questioness
My lazy pig of a brother did not vote :colonhash:.

He won't have been the only one :lol:

Got a few friends on Facebook who genuinely said who gives a ****. In/Out either way ****ed
18+ Leave voter here (23 years old to be precise).

I do think if the voting age was lowered it would have very likely swung it the other way. So all I can do now is count my blessings and breathe a sigh of relief!
So this's why the government doesn't allow 16-year-olds to vote
Unfortunately I doubt enough people would have voted.

Also not everyone would have voted remain so it probably would have cut it slightly closer, but no where near enough to be a significant change.
If they turn out they would. Youth turnout is absolutely abysmal in comparison to other age groups.
Original post by tomisonion
If they turn out they would. Youth turnout is absolutely abysmal in comparison to other age groups.

So you honestly believe they would have a remain rate of over 90%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by Trapz99
People under 18 should never be allowed to vote in anything. I am 17 and I can tell you that msot people my age don't even know what the EU is and we've never worked a day in our lives so haven't really contributed to the UK. It is completely unnecessary for 16-18 year olds to vote. It is just too young in my opinion. I'd prefer it if the voting age was increased to 21.

The primary difference between adults and children is that adults are, on average, slightly taller.
Reply 52
Original post by ChargingStag
18+ Leave voter here (23 years old to be precise).

I do think if the voting age was lowered it would have very likely swung it the other way. So all I can do now is count my blessings and breathe a sigh of relief!

How does it feel to know that 3/4 of people your age voted remain? Probably more in the group you usually hang out with, since students have higher remain rates as well (I'm assuming you're still at uni since you're on TSR, but I could be wrong. Quite a few people aren't students).

I think the vote might hae swung remain if 16 year olds had been allowed to vote, since they'd likely have had a high turnout for their first vote and 18-20 year old turnout might have improved a fair bit as well, which could be deciding. There's no way to have changed things enough if nobody 18+ changed their vote though.
You forgot the category for that idiot from Manchester on the BBC News: 'I'm 18+ and voted leave, but wanted to remain'.
The remain campaign are already crying that too many uninformed people voted and now they want to give 16 year old hormonal teenagers with very little life experience the vote to manipulate it. This is an absolutely absurd suggestion.
I voted leave as I believed (and still do) that in the long run it would be the better choice. I knew that the pound would drop but it will recover. I knew that not all of the '£350M' would go to the NHS but I imagine some of it will once we have left fully. Also, the thought of an 'EU army' is against all of my and my family's beliefs as I have got family members in the forces; even if the UK would veto it - I couldn't take the risk. I am not racist or xenophobic for voting out - I just believe that the EU is not the best place for the UK to be.

In my opinion, the voting age of 18 is right and should not have been changed for the referendum. It is set at that age as that is when you legally become an adult and 16, also in my opinion, is too young to make these decisions. At 16, I frankly didn't care about politics but as I am now 18 my brain has developed more and now I can make more informed decisions.

Anyway, we the country, has decided to leave the EU and we have to look to the future now. Complaining and whining is not going to change the outcome. Yes the leave campaign lied about some things but so did the remain camp.If we only look at the negatives and become depressed we will not go anywhere; if we look at the positives we can take this opportunity to become the GREAT Britain we are! If I failed a mock exam I would look at the positives of it by finding out what I know and what I need to work on to get better for the next time - if I get depressed at getting a U and don't do anything I won't improve.
I'm curious to know what peoples' opinions are on the petition to have another referendum - particularly people who have or would have voted remain. Personally I'd compare the petition to a child saying best two out of three when playing rock paper scissors. The UK has voted, yes some people didn't get what they wanted but that's how democracy works in this country and those who didn't get their way should just stop complaining. What's done is done.
Original post by James82
You forgot the category for that idiot from Manchester on the BBC News: 'I'm 18+ and voted leave, but wanted to remain'.

He has nothing on the 7% of UKIP voters that voted to remain

7% of 4 million .. 280,000 is it? Wowser wtf
Guys look, everyone says how the younger generations voted remain. But at the end of the day even if 16-17 year olds did vote, there would have been leave voters. I'm 18 and voted remain, but i know that many people in my college voted leave. Just because your mates wanted to vote remain does not mean all 16'-17s would.The out come would probably have been the same. Besides, 18-24 had a very low turn out of around 38%, if you want to blame anyone- blame the people who couldn't be bothered to vote.
Reply 59
Original post by Impressive
It's not like everyone would go for remain, at least minority of them would be influenced by their relatives, and that's enough to stay on the brexit side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like the implication of this. IE that not one single 16 year old would have voted for Brexit unless they had been influenced by relatives.

Unless 16 year olds have undergone a quite incredible change since I was last well acquainted with them I would have thought that not a few of them would be inclined to vote out from just one look at Juncker.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending