The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sugar_1998
Christian crosses have been in my opinion been used in a disrespectful way, in my opinion , it has diluted the meaning and symbolism of it -what's your opinion -any Christian youth???

Why? It might make people question what the Cross really means and that might lead to people finding Jesus. Would you rather it be a pentagram or the islamic moon and star?
Reply 2
that would make me very happy if that were the case (not saying that doesn't happen. most see the cross as something related to Christianity and constantly dilute its true power and meaning by using it for worldly pleasure, in my opinion, its wrong
others may agree , others may not
I sound like a bore -yeh soz
Yep, what's wrong with the other 2?
that would make me very happy if that were the case (not saying that doesn't happen. most see the cross as something related to Christianity and constantly dilute its true power and meaning by using it for worldly pleasure, in my opinion, its wrong
others may agree , others may not
I sound like a bore -yeh soz

At least the cross is getting noticed, remember God can use anything to bring people to Him. I think it's Gods way of trying to get people to think about him personally
Original post by BorisJohnson4PM
Yep, what's wrong with the other 2?

Nothing, I was just using them as an example. It could have literally been anything else
Reply 6
yh i guess so, why Jesus came he came for the unlearned so i guess its slightly the same her. in the end of the day God sees our hearts , it is not the cross that protects us but our faith in what it means to us and ultimately God merciful ways.

are u Christian by the way???
I don't see why people can't use the cross as a fashion statement. Personally I'd never wear one but it's not as if wearing a cross is copyrighted to Christians.
I'm not too keen on it. I don't understand when irreligious people wear them.
I am not a Christian and I wear crosses all the time, I think it just looks nice. I don't see a problem with it.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I'm not too keen on it. I don't understand when irreligious people wear them.

Because a cross is shape that existed before Christianity. If someone sees a cross on a necklace that looks appealing, why shouldn't they wear it purely on the basis that it looks nice, just because a religion has claimed a symbol as theirs and theirs alone? If Jesus had happened to be crucified on a circle should we all be concerned about wearing circle earrings and necklaces?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KatieBlogger
Because a cross is shape that existed before Christianity. If someone sees a cross on a necklace that looks appealing, why shouldn't they wear it purely on the basis that it looks nice, just because a religion has claimed a symbol as theirs and theirs alone? If Jesus had happened to be crucified on a circle should we all be concerned about wearing circle earrings and necklaces?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone is entitled to wear what they want. I'm not disputing that but when a symbol has such a strong religious connotation that seems odd to me. I stand by my point. :smile:
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Everyone is entitled to wear what they want. I'm not disputing that but when a symbol has such a strong religious connotation that seems odd to me. I stand by my point. :smile:

I agree like everyone knows, the cross symbol is a famous cause of Christ but in the end of the day people are gonna do what they want to do - whether or not it offends others for a fashion statement - I'm not disgusted but only a bit weary
yh i guess so, why Jesus came he came for the unlearned so i guess its slightly the same her. in the end of the day God sees our hearts , it is not the cross that protects us but our faith in what it means to us and ultimately God merciful ways.

are u Christian by the way???

Yes I'm a Baptist, adult baptised and everything :smile:
I wear a cross around my neck most days and I'm not religious. I believe in God in some sense, but I'm not religious.

I wear it because it was given to me when my nan died. It brings comfort to me, and I think it looks nice :dontknow:

On a less personal level. I don't see the problem. Would Jesus care about people wearing crosses who weren't religious?
Christian crosses have been in my opinion been used in a disrespectful way, in my opinion , it has diluted the meaning and symbolism of it -what's your opinion -any Christian youth???

Agreed and I am Christian, It breaks the second commandment. The Cross is a pagan symbol and not even truly Christian anyway
(edited 7 years ago)
How do you distinguish between a Christian cross and any other kind of cross?

Is the cross of St George not allowed? How about the Swiss cross?
it is wonderful that Our Lord's great sacrifice is still remembered two thousand years later...
Original post by DaveThe2nd
The Cross is a pagan symbol and not even truly Christian anyway

If it's not even Christian in the first place how can it be offensive?
Original post by Drewski
If it's not even Christian in the first place how can it be offensive?

It isn't, but how many people know the Cross is pagan, most people believe it is Christian.

Latest