The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Insight314
Oh my god, thank you so much. Do share Julia's notes if you can get your hands across them. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are online i remember them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shamika
Agree with this (except if you are going to insist on starting early, do N&S. An easy introduction is given by Liebeck's book intro to pure maths). But you can get a high first without self studying in advance. Dabble if you really want, but definitely don't do it out of a mistaken belief you'll get left behind.

I can see how n+s is a great intro to uni maths, but the content isnt too hard. Starting it early wont be as useful as groups imo

I see. I am definitely using the lecture notes as well as textbooks though. I currently haven't looked at the lecture notes but I feel like my methodology would be something along the lines 1)read lecture notes 2)reference to textbook, read it and see if you make 100% sense of it 3)do example sheets on it. What do you think of this? Are you 100% sure textbooks are not needed?

I was doing three times that during exam term, and that is because I had more exams than usual Maths offer-holders, so it seems like I will have way too much time in my hands during summer. I guess it is all relative. This doesn't even take into account how eager I am to start part IA.

This is why Zacken is setting up ASoM (A Summer of Maths) thread where we will be collaborating and self-studying the Tripos together. It would be great if you and other current Mathmos (as long as you have the time of course) help us from time to time, kind of like in an online supervision, I suppose.

Now, this is something that I can't debate with you about. Are the example sheets online the same that are given every year? Can I not just re-do them when the time comes? I think this 'summer self-study' is more about getting the practice + being familiar with the course in advance, and not about reducing workload during part IA. I never intended it to be this way. I am very eager to start IA, and I want to improve in maths in advance before I come into Cambridge. I am not planning to reduce any potential workload in Cambridge or whatever, I want the contrary of that.

Yes, I am a Churchill applicant! Are you also a Churchillian? :biggrin:

Thanks a lot. :smile:

Talking to other students on TSR will only go so far, itll never be as good as a 2 on 1 supervision. When we were doing example sheets in college we would discuss answers amongst ourselves but it wasn't until the supervisions where I really came to understand the content. Im no where near the level required to supervise, they're usually PhD students or professors who came in the top 10 of their years.

The example sheets do change slightly from year to year as lecturers change. I guess you could do the old ones, but as you say the best thing to do would just get familiar with some of the content, and not doing the work intended to be done during term.

Yep also at Churchill
Original post by physicsmaths
They are online i remember them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't link them then, it's ok I've got telepathy

Posted from TSR Mobile
don't link them then, it's ok I've got telepathy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was looking for them for you actually you ****ing dickhead. I have found them, If you actually use google you will find you can find them very easily.
Here are some other ones http://www.mediafire.com/?76fjl2ik509oe5d
Hint: typing IA groups Lecture notes might get something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by raff97
I can see how n+s is a great intro to uni maths, but the content isnt too hard. Starting it early wont be as useful as groups imo

Talking to other students on TSR will only go so far, itll never be as good as a 2 on 1 supervision. When we were doing example sheets in college we would discuss answers amongst ourselves but it wasn't until the supervisions where I really came to understand the content. Im no where near the level required to supervise, they're usually PhD students or professors who came in the top 10 of their years.

The example sheets do change slightly from year to year as lecturers change. I guess you could do the old ones, but as you say the best thing to do would just get familiar with some of the content, and not doing the work intended to be done during term.

Yep also at Churchill

Would it be that much of a problem if I do the example sheets during summer and re-do them when I have to in October? I don't only want to familiarise myself with the content, I want to understand it in depth. Also, the example sheets look really fun. :biggrin:

You are going into second year now right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I was looking for them for you actually you ****ing dickhead. I have found them, If you actually use google you will find you can find them very easily.
Here are some other ones http://www.mediafire.com/?76fjl2ik509oe5d
Hint: typing IA groups Lecture notes might get something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks m8. I never doubted you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would it be that much of a problem if I do the example sheets during summer and re-do them when I have to in October? I don't only want to familiarise myself with the content, I want to understand it in depth. Also, the example sheets look really fun. :biggrin:

You are going into second year now right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know what, just go for it. It seems you're too eager to be dissuaded! I guess doing it early can only help. But just make sure you dont do so much as you get bored next year.
If you like number and set theory there are some insanely challenging questions on the N+S example sheets. They are quite fun to try but almost no one gets around to them because they take so long. You could waste a lot of your summer doing them all. (If you cant, dont worry, tripos questions are much easier than the last few qs on a n+s sheet)

Yep I am.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by raff97
You know what, just go for it. It seems you're too eager to be dissuaded! I guess doing it early can only help. But just make sure you dont do so much as you get bored next year.
If you like number theory there are some insanely challenging questions on the N+S example sheets. They are quite fun to try but almost no one gets around to them because they take so long. You could waste a lot of your summer doing them all. (If you cant, dont worry, tripos questions are much easier than the last few qs on a n+s sheet)

Yep I am.

Good! :biggrin:

I am actually very bad in number theory, so I am not sure how much I will be able to get through them haha. I might try them but N&S isn't gonna help me as much with theoretical physics, so I feel like I should delve more into D&R. Do you know anyone who has lecture notes for the 4th paper courses on the maths with physics choice, the one from first year Physics NatSci Tripos? Where can I find example sheets on them? Oh, and how are practicals like, and how much does my overall 'grade' (not sure if this is what it is called, I am too sleepy) depend on them? They don't give alphas as such? Btw, thanks a lot for all the help.

So your DoS was Dr Chris Tout? He was my interviewer, he didn't speak that much since the other PhD student interviewer was asking the questions, but he had a ready smile and I really liked him haha. I think he is normally the DoS for IA right? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
??? I manage 5 hours of work on an extremely good day in mid-exam season, I think your definition of "relax" is very different from that of a normal person.

Same, but after screwing up my STEP exams I'm gonna be putting that much work in + more from now, clearly need to improve at maths.

So your DoS was Dr Chris Tout? He was my interviewer, he didn't speak that much since the other PhD student interviewer was asking the questions, but he had a ready smile and I really liked him haha. I think he is normally the DoS for IA right? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who was the PhD student interviewer for you? Wondering if the same as me.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Question 12 was even more of a joke

I can't believe so few people actually bother to look at the Stats and Mechanics sections

I'm pleased that (at least) two people looked at Q12. I'm guessing very few attempted it given that it introduces a university level concept, but if you get over the fact it's unfamiliar it is easy. I bet it was done by a handful correctly; most will have ignored it, or panicked and moved on.
No, it looks like it might be interesting to watch over the summer

How good (or otherwise) is it?

It is very sided with Brexit, but it gives facts and statistics for almost every point. It is made very professionally, good quality and I really liked it. Definitely watch it.

Question 12 was even more of a joke

I can't believe so few people actually bother to look at the Stats and Mechanics sections

I don't even glance at stats lol.

That feel when you haven't done any stats so you couldn't get all the bants from the paper. :frown:

Original post by IrrationalRoot
Who was the PhD student interviewer for you? Wondering if the same as me.

Alexis Kaminski. Did you have her?
Its not really an unfamiliar style of question, I've seen quite a few of these 'you can use this result without proof in this question' questions. They are often inequalities, too

I think the problem is that people don't tend to even glance at the statistics section. Which is pretty understandable, I guess they assume that they don't stand a chance since they've not done lots of stats

No stats is just boring
It does sound worth watching

lol I guessed people didn't - Siklos is eventually going to have to fill STEP with GCSE level statistics just to get people to give the stats section a go

I only learnt stats for STEP :biggrin:

We need a referendum of removing Stats from STEP. Pure and mech can do it on their own.

Spoiler

:unimpressed:

I hate how statistics (and maths in general actually) is taught at school (and, I hear, at University also), its like they just want to scare everyone away from it.

Still, can't really complain, if very few people take stats it'll make me more employable

I agree with you. I like looking at the bright side of not taking stats modules - I will at least experience probability in its fullest form in part IA. :h:
You sleep for 14 hours? :confused:

if only
Probability is probably more interesting than stats

What is the probability of probability being more interesting than stats?
What is the probability of probability being more interesting than stats?

Warwick first year probability is taught terribly and it was still more interesting than stats
So approximately 1
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Warwick first year probability is taught terribly and it was still more interesting than stats
So approximately 1

Which one is stats, the one with those awful tables full of data?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2519
Original post by shamika
I'm pleased that (at least) two people looked at Q12. I'm guessing very few attempted it given that it introduces a university level concept, but if you get over the fact it's unfamiliar it is easy. I bet it was done by a handful correctly; most will have ignored it, or panicked and moved on.

I began it in the last ten minutes, I somehow managed to ignore it all exam and I only managed to bang out the first part and write down some poisson bs before I ran out of time :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending