The Student Room Group

What University should I apply to for psychology with AAB prediction?

I may get an AAB prediction so I was wondering if applying to St. Andrew's is a good idea or not. For some reason their entry standards are so low (its AAB), and I know really intelligent people apply. Would St. Andrew's actually consider me if my predictions are AAB and not A*A*A* like a lot who apply?

I was also considering Birmingham but because its AAA, should I still go for it? I truly believe I will achieve a minimum of AAA next year, even A*AA, but I'm worried if I get a low prediction, no top universities will consider me.

I'm really worried, so thanks in advance.
For psychology you pick the university that appeals to you, that you think you'll be comfortable at and able to fulfil your potential at (proximity to home, friends, campus, night life, etc.). Check out the course, but on the whole, they are similar.

If the course offers a placement or other practical experience, that is literal gold dust these days. Same with research opportunities. If you're doing psychology just to gain a degree, then that will matter less.

If you're pursuing a psychology career, university ranking means very little. For academia, it may matter more, but I doubt it. I'm not saying don't go for the 'top' universities, but don't agonise over it too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by _Sinnie_
For psychology you pick the university that appeals to you, that you think you'll be comfortable at and able to fulfil your potential at (proximity to home, friends, campus, night life, etc.). Check out the course, but on the whole, they are similar.

If the course offers a placement or other practical experience, that is literal gold dust these days. Same with research opportunities. If you're doing psychology just to gain a degree, then that will matter less.

If you're pursuing a psychology career, university ranking means very little. For academia, it may matter more, but I doubt it. I'm not saying don't go for the 'top' universities, but don't agonise over it too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I'll consider the placement opportunities. I wanted to pursue psychology as a career
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Esekanayo_
Thank you, I'll consider the placement opportunities. I wanted to pursue psychology as a career

Just make sure the course is BPS accredited - not all of them are.
I applied to Birmingham, meeting their requirements, and got rejected. Their loss, but I don't know of anyone who got in without EC's that didn't exceed the requirements. Birmingham also said at the open day they don't look at the application, only the grades and then as a decider between two applicants they will compare applications. Although that was when they wanted AAB. I got accepted by Glasgow, Exeter, Newcastle and Aston.

I've decided not to go to university this year, but I,lol be going to Newcastle in 2017.

In regards to St Andrews, it is unlikely. I went to the open day there and was told, despite my EC's, I would need A's to be in with a chance. If you love it, apply, but just be realistic and don't get your hopes up :smile:

You can apply to the majority of top universities with those grades, depending on your subjects as a lot require sciences.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by A-LJLB
I applied to Birmingham, meeting their requirements, and got rejected. Their loss, but I don't know of anyone who got in without EC's that didn't exceed the requirements. Birmingham also said at the open day they don't look at the application, only the grades and then as a decider between two applicants they will compare applications. Although that was when they wanted AAB. I got accepted by Glasgow, Exeter, Newcastle and Aston.

I've decided not to go to university this year, but I,lol be going to Newcastle in 2017.

In regards to St Andrews, it is unlikely. I went to the open day there and was told, despite my EC's, I would need A's to be in with a chance. If you love it, apply, but just be realistic and don't get your hopes up :smile:

You can apply to the majority of top universities with those grades, depending on your subjects as a lot require sciences.

Good luck!

Thanks, what's an EC??? i feel like an idiot
Original post by Esekanayo_
Thanks, what's an EC??? i feel like an idiot

Extenuating circumstances :smile:
Royal Holloway is really good for psych at AAB.

Quick Reply

Latest