The Student Room Group

Londoners only

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Black Cat
You're going completely off-topic here let's get real though London wouldn't last very long independently. I find it funny how you make assumptions about me I didn't even get to vote during the referendum because I wasn't eligible to do so as an EU national. I agree with you on some points though London does contribute a lot, but they're in no position to be running things by themselves. In terms of leadership and finances.

You actually think that London could run itself like Hong kong does in China?

Fairs apologies for assuming you voted to leave.
London would be fine independently; it has population larger than most European states (including Ireland), economy double that of Ireland and almost equivalent to Netherlands if we assume people who work in London will largely continue to do so or relocate, which is fair assumption. 1/5th of the European multinationals are headquartered and will pay taxes in London, we have a growing tech industry and it is the most influential city globally. Despite this economy, we have about 53 times smaller area to manage ensuring infrastructure will be much better developed, and more efficiently connected attracting more businesses while allowing tax cuts. Plus as UK struggles from uncertainty, London will continue to have access to EU allowing existing businesses to stay, while attracting those wanting to leave from rest of UK. So financially it'll thrive.
In terms of leadership, we already have institutions of the state - the London assembly already serves as a parliament, while mayor serves as head of government/ state (if we don't keep the queen) and local councils act as local government bodies if it is deemed necessary (although given compact area, I doubt it). We have dedicated police force (fire authority and the likes too), which can be retained either as organisational transfer, or as new organisation which simply hires people from existing structure. Hell we even have TFL as state authority with actual control over transportation, which UK lacks.
Food products and the likes can be imported, quite likely from same producers as today unless UK decides to go full on with embargo (and if they do that, it can be imported from the market of 500 million people next door tax free).

London could easily govern itself like Hong Kong, but it could also govern itself better as an independent state, looking outwards towards Europe rather than inwards.
Original post by queen-bee
We should have a flag with the Big Ben on and maybe other important monuments

"Europe's nations should be guided towards the super-state without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
- Jean Monnet (Godfather of the EU).
Reply 102
Original post by NickLCFC
London is a British city that belongs to the British people. If there was ever a London independence vote, the entire British population would be entitled to vote. Sorry but this is never going to happen.

Tell em ma man:colone:
Original post by swanderfeild
Yes please, London can become a independent city state - we can retain the financial sector without whinging from everyone about how everything is so London centric, and be members of EU as independent state. And we already have a flag; might want to do something about the cross though - maybe replace it with stars.
We'd have economy larger than Belgium's, population larger than Scotland and Wales together and given the internal market of ~500 million people - we'll be fine without UK.

FIY: https://www.change.org/p/sadiq-khan-declare-london-independent-from-the-uk-and-apply-to-join-the-eu

Good luck when us 50 million + Northerners advance on your tiny country and enclose you in picking you off one by one, restricting your supplies. Firing bows of fire onto you before our Scottish wildlings pick of the weak and infirm before deep frying them for food

It shall be over in 3 weeks
london would be cool by being independent
Lol we Londoners are certainly something.

Whatever that is depend on perception I guess :tongue:.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Good luck when us 50 million + Northerners advance on your tiny country and enclose you in picking you off one by one, restricting your supplies. Firing bows of fire onto you before our Scottish wildlings pick of the weak and infirm before deep frying them for food

It shall be over in 3 weeks

If there were going to be a war, you mistake how it'd go. As Scottish army marches south marches from the north, taking cities like Manchester, London will stand strong, financing the war while sellswords march to Bristol cutting England in two.Tired by war, and seeing their English brethren fall Welsh will make a deal switching sides as they move in to quickly grab what remains of England.
Wales shall lay claim to Cardiff, London shall take everything south of Nottingham and Scottish shall reign over everything north. We'll be home by Christmas with gold and glory.
The question is how would it effect me if London becomes independent?

As for the flag, the government can ask the roadmen. They have loads of ideas. :u:
Original post by undercxver

As for the flag, the government can ask the roadmen. They have loads of ideas. :u:

Roadmen?
Are they construction workers?
Original post by undercxver

You could live in/ move to the greatest city state in the world as given its open mindedness it'd have much more open border policy, be able to move and work across Europe, get funding if you went to uni and took year to work/study in Europe, and be part of a greater European future.
Oh and you'd not be shackled to inward looking England and Wales with declining economies so that's also a plus. :tongue:
Reply 110
Indeed, let's become like Hong Kong or Singapore
London is a mass ghetto, where poverty breeds like rabbits. Only a few are well off the rest are barely getting by.
yeah, I'd like to be independent of these outsiders, let them continue to water their farms and ride their carriages outside the EU. Not too sure what our flag should be but I'd like our national anthem to be "Talking the hardest" or even "Pain is the essence"

Flag of one of the London cities. The other London city could adopt it too.
Original post by Bill_Gates
London is a mass ghetto, where poverty breeds like rabbits. Only a few are well off the rest are barely getting by.

And Birmingham isn't all those things? :mmm:
Original post by queen-bee
And Birmingham isn't all those things? :mmm:

not where i live haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending