The Student Room Group

Statistics GCSE 2016

Has anybody got any predictions on what might come in the 2016 statistics GCSE paper?
GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY FOR TOMMOROW HOPING FOR THE BEST!

Scroll to see replies

Hi!!

I've not got any predictions but I know that advantages/disadvantages of a sample/census and comparing distributions will definitely be on the test.

Good luck to everyone taking the test!!
Reply 2
Which exam board?
Edexcel
Original post by wenqi.s
Hi!!

I've not got any predictions but I know that advantages/disadvantages of a sample/census and comparing distributions will definitely be on the test.

Good luck to everyone taking the test!!

QUICK QUESTION !!
You know for the trend line and the seasonal moving averages. You know the question ( usually the last part ) it says estimate the .... for 2008 quarter 2. Use your answer to part (d). How do you know whether to add it or take it away ?!
Also another question - when drawing the line of best fit do you draw it through the mean ?
Reply 5
damn, Im doing AQA..
Original post by nisha.sri
QUICK QUESTION !!
You know for the trend line and the seasonal moving averages. You know the question ( usually the last part ) it says estimate the .... for 2008 quarter 2. Use your answer to part (d). How do you know whether to add it or take it away ?!
Also another question - when drawing the line of best fit do you draw it through the mean ?

You don't have to take it away at all. I always add my seasonal variation.

You use the value (from part (d)) as

seasonal variation = actual value - trend value
estimated mean seasonal variation = mean of all seasonal variation

If this value is negative, you add it to the value from the trend line so your answer should be smaller than the value from the trend line. If this value is positive, you also add it to the value from the trend line.

predicted value = trend line value (as read from trend line on graph) + estimated mean seasonal variation

You can check the answer using the graph. If the actual values for quarter 2, 2007 and quarter 2, 2006 are below the trend line, your estimated value for quarter 2, 2008 should also be below the trend line.

Hope that helps!!
Original post by stoyfan
damn, Im doing AQA..

I think it should be about the same...
Original post by wenqi.s
You don't have to take it away at all. I always add my seasonal variation.

You use the value (from part (d)) as

seasonal variation = actual value - trend value
estimated mean seasonal variation = mean of all seasonal variation

If this value is negative, you add it to the value from the trend line so your answer should be smaller than the value from the trend line. If this value is positive, you also add it to the value from the trend line.

predicted value = trend line value (as read from trend line on graph) + estimated mean seasonal variation

You can check the answer using the graph. If the actual values for quarter 2, 2007 and quarter 2, 2006 are below the trend line, your estimated value for quarter 2, 2008 should also be below the trend line.

Hope that helps!!

Oh ok thank you so much for this help !! :biggrin: Much appreciated.
How are you feeling about tomorrow's exam ?
Oh ok thank you so much for this help !! :biggrin: Much appreciated.
How are you feeling about tomorrow's exam ?

Very nervous... I'm worried about the interpretations because sometimes, the questions don't make sense to me... :frown:

The maths behind it is fine though...
Original post by wenqi.s
Very nervous... I'm worried about the interpretations because sometimes, the questions don't make sense to me... :frown:

The maths behind it is fine though...

Yeh same because last year there was a lot of interpretations :frown:
Yeh same because last year there was a lot of interpretations :frown:

Are you taking the Stats exam this year??
Reply 12
I think it's likely they are going to ask about;
Normal Distribution
Time series (including moving averages)
Spearman's Rank
Histograms
Interpreting data
Maybe Binomial Distribution!
Original post by wenqi.s
Are you taking the Stats exam this year??

Yep tomorrow !! You ?
Reply 14
Make sure you know the advantages and disadvantages of different data collection methods and sampling - they ask questions on that every year!
Yep tomorrow !! You ?

Yeah, same. How are you revising?? I've done all the past papers so I'm panicking a little... I don't want to do the older ones like June 2010 because they're a little irrelevant.
Reply 16
Yep tomorrow !! You ?

Mine's tomorrow too!
Original post by EverythingGreen
Make sure you know the advantages and disadvantages of different data collection methods and sampling - they ask questions on that every year!

Thanks!! Do you think time series will come up??
Original post by wenqi.s
Yeah, same. How are you revising?? I've done all the past papers so I'm panicking a little... I don't want to do the older ones like June 2010 because they're a little irrelevant.

Same here, I've reviewed all the past papers, reviewed all the topics and now i'm like what do i do. Yeh i agree :smile: How are you revising ?

Original post by EverythingGreen
Mine's tomorrow too!

How are you revising ?
Reply 19
Original post by wenqi.s
Thanks!! Do you think time series will come up??

I think its likely! These are just my own predictions lol

Quick Reply