The Student Room Group

Have I done enough for a Law app?

I've been trying to do extra-curriculars for a Law app. It seems like a lot to me, but I know what TSR is like :s-smilie:. Here's what I've done and have yet to do, and what I think I can use it for. What do you think?

Stuff I've already done:

Attended masterclasses - Interest and knowledge of course content and structure

Competed in Trinity College's Law Essay Competition - Interest in applying the law to complex moral dilemmas

Visited a Crown Court and watched trials - Awareness of and interest in the direct impact that law has on ordinary people

Read The Right to Privacy by Samuel Warren and Louis Brandeis - Interest in how the law is a living and breathing, organism, and how the law can be examined to reveal things that were seemingly hidden from everyone, and use it to consequently develop the law further

Studied BTEC Applied Law alongside 3 A-levels - Explanation of where my interest in the law stemmed from.

Stuff I will do:

1 week of work experience in the Citizen's Advice Bureau - Interest in how the law affects ordinary people, reflects a desire to help these ordinary people through studying law

Read The Rule of Law by Lord Justice Thomas Bingham - General interest in the law

(Possibly might do) Visit local Magistrate's Court to watch trials - Awareness of and interest in the direct impact that law has on ordinary people

Any ideas of anything else I should do?

You've done plenty! Honestly, there were people on my law degree who had never done anything related to law at all and got into top unis. The good thing about applying for law is that you're applying for the academic stage - your application doesn't need to be you proving why you'd make a good solicitor/barrister, that comes after the academic stage of the degree. As long as you can show why you would like to study law and what will make you a good student you will be fine. I had done lots of law work experience before applying as my mum is a lawyer but I didn't even have space to really mention it on my application once I'd talked about things I'd read and my A level subjects, and I got offers from all 5 unis I applied to including UCL.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I've been trying to do extra-curriculars for a Law app. It seems like a lot to me, but I know what TSR is like :s-smilie:. Here's what I've done and have yet to do, and what I think I can use it for. What do you think?

Stuff I've already done:

Competed in Trinity College's Law Essay Competition - Interest in applying the law to complex moral dilemmas

Visited a Crown Court and watched trials - Awareness of and interest in the direct impact that law has on ordinary people

Read The Right to Privacy by Samuel Warren and Louis Brandeis - Interest in how the law is a living and breathing, organism, and how the law can be examined to reveal things that were seemingly hidden from everyone, and use it to consequently develop the law further

Studied BTEC Applied Law alongside 3 A-levels - Explanation of where my interest in the law stemmed from.

Stuff I will do:

1 week of work experience in the Citizen's Advice Bureau - Interest in how the law affects ordinary people, reflects a desire to help these ordinary people through studying law

Read The Rule of Law by Lord Justice Thomas Bingham - General interest in the law

(Possibly might do) Visit local Magistrate's Court to watch trials - Awareness of and interest in the direct impact that law has on ordinary people

You've done plenty! Providing you word it all in a persuasive personal statement, combined with good grades, you'll be fine. I probably did less than that, and got offers from Warwick, Newcastle, York, Birmingham and Leicester, so you'll have a really good chance wherever you apply, providing that, if you've done AS levels, the entry requirements are broadly similar to your results.
Original post by Abstract_Prism

Stuff I've already done:

Stuff I will do:

Hi,
What A-levels did you take please?
Did you take them so you study Law in Uni

Thanks
Original post by tangareen
Hi,
What A-levels did you take please?
Did you take them so you study Law in Uni

Thanks

I'm took History, English Lit, Government & Politics, and BTEC Law for AS. I'll probably keep them all when I go onto A2. I didn't pick them with studying Law at university in mind though.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending