The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emi.hopkins
96% are UK citizens, 4% aren't

All they need to do is use a fake address then they are classed as UK. I say you should have to use your national insurance number to sign the official petition then there is no way repeats or fakes can sign.
I'm pretty sure this petition was created by a leave campiagner as they thought they'd lose by a small margin, but after they won, remainers set upon it. 1 million is small in context, but still not small enough for there to be a need to repeat it.
Original post by abrack
Leave voters are hypocrites. This petition was set up by a LEAVE voter in case remain won. It has simply been hijacked by remain voters. Leave voters are ****ing hypocrites.

http://news.sky.com/story/1717815/second-referendum-petition-was-set-up-by-outer

Who are the anti-democrats now?

Let me get this right. One Leave voter. That is 1 ........................................ yet 3 million + Remain voters signed it?
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Let me get this right. One Leave voter. That is 1 ........................................ yet 3 million + Remain voters signed it?

What if it was the other way around? Farage said before the result that if remain won it, he'd want another referendum.
It's not because leave won, It's about the results being fair. The results were so close and the petition states that no matter what the outcome is, if there is less than a 75% turn out, and less than a 60% majority then they want a second refurendum.

It's not just an attempt for remain to get their own way, the same petition would have been relevant if the results were swapped.
Also, the referendum result could still be blocked. The shambolic leave campaign has offered no solution to trade deals. This can trigger a parliamentary vote, and MP's can vote to cancel Brexit. Sure it would be anti-democratic, but as a future worker of this country, it is acceptable. More than 75% of 16-24 year olds evidently agree.

The number of pro-remain MP's outweighs the number of pro-leave MPs, about 4:1 so there's no reason why, if it did go to parliamentary vote, it would pass.
Original post by abrack
What if it was the other way around? Farage said before the result that if remain won it, he'd want another referendum.

It would be pointless because it would put all uk investment into limbo mode and we would go into a bear market.

Plus what if we had general election after general election 10 times just until we got the result we wanted.

This is stupid, immature and it has no ends.
(edited 7 years ago)
It would be pointless because it would put all uk investment into limbo mode and we would go into a bear market.

Yes, but my point is that leave voters are hypocrites. They are all complaining about a second petition sparking up, yet a leave voter set it up...
If you look on the map of the petition you will see that the petition signatures are a mirror match when in comparison with the referendum vote. There are hardly any new regions lit up in the rest of the UK.

http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=131215

Plus this petition can be signed by people outside of the UK so it means very little. For all we know it could be signed by thousands of Europeans.

One marked difference with the referendum is that substantial numbers of people across the counties to the south of London and other parts of the Home Counties are showing up - probably middle class Tory-leaning people having second thoughts and realising that the result was more about pampering Boris's ego and his schoolboy feud with Cameron than our actual economic future.
Original post by abrack
Yes, but my point is that leave voters are hypocrites. They are all complaining about a second petition sparking up, yet a leave voter set it up...

Got an idea for you. Split up the UK. Southerners can bugger off and join the EU and the North+Cornwall will go our separate ways okay?

We want a King of the North anyway.
Plus, once Dave has completely resigned, which member of the EU will want to negotiate with that nut job Johnson?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I am interested, this being a student website, if there is any correlation between asking for/not asking for a second referendum and asking/not asking for a remark of your A levels. Points of principle are being quoted and I was wondering if they held true across the board, i.e. being satisfied/not being satisfied with the first result you got.

Good point Carnationlilyrose.

And I find it so sad that on this and other threads there can't be a debate about the issues without abuse and ignorant comments. The important thing for everyone now that we are now likely to be isolated from Europe is to foster a culture of diversity and inclusion within the UK. An outpouring of hate and insults helps no one. If we are divided we put our energy into conflict and not growth which is what we now sorely need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an idea for you. Split up the UK. Southerners can bugger off and join the EU and the North+Cornwall will go our separate ways okay?

Well, I live in the North. But I would happily move to Scotland and be governed by Nicola Sturgeon.
Reply 594
All they need to do is use a fake address then they are classed as UK. I say you should have to use your national insurance number to sign the official petition then there is no way repeats or fakes can sign.

The petition has no legal standing. At best it can require Parliament to consider (and not necessarily even have) a debate, that's all.

I'm sure there are quite a few mickey mouse signatures. But out of 3 million the vast majority will be genuine.
Original post by abrack
Well, I live in the North. But I would happily move to Scotland and be governed by Nicola Sturgeon.

Me personally when I've gradutated I am moving to Russia and I ain't coming back.
Me personally when I've gradutated I am moving to Russia and I ain't coming back.

Sadly, I've not even started year 13 yet, and I'm worried about my future already. I can't quite tell if you wanted to leave or remain? Or if you think this 2nd ref is undemocratic?
Original post by abrack
Sadly, I've not even started year 13 yet, and I'm worried about my future already. I can't quite tell if you wanted to leave or remain? Or if you think this 2nd ref is undemocratic?

I voted leave and I live in the most anti-EU part of the UK. The East Midlands.
Reply 598

Cornwall:

I voted leave and I live in the most anti-EU part of the UK. The East Midlands.

I think everywhere in England except for London is anti-EU, sadly. What made you want to leave?

Quick Reply