The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MM2B Mechanics 2 – 27th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by misslili118
NEED HELP WITh QUESTION 4 JAN 11 M2 PART C AND D

With part c just set up a diagram using the centre of mass you have worked out and then use trig. Part d is just a moments question where you have to take moments about P in order to work out the mass.
Original post by JC25
With part c just set up a diagram using the centre of mass you have worked out and then use trig. Part d is just a moments question where you have to take moments about P in order to work out the mass.

I used a diagram but i keep getting arc tan 19.4/21.1 , i guess i have the wrong diagram?
Reply 42
image.jpg
I used a diagram but i keep getting arc tan 19.4/21.1 , i guess i have the wrong diagram?

Maybe try the diagram again?
Original post by JC25
image.jpg

Maybe try the diagram again?

Thank you so much!
Thank you so much!

i am stuck at this question too, markscheme says 24.6 for the angle i keep getting 8.45 because i used tan theta = 19.4/8.45
d
did u manage it?
Original post by Husssein
i am stuck at this question too, markscheme says 24.6 for the angle i keep getting 8.45 because i used tan theta = 19.4/8.45
d
did u manage it?

its arctan 8.8/19.4 , youve got your sides the other way round
its arctan 8.8/19.4 , youve got your sides the other way round

OMD!, it was a school boy error silly mistake, my method was tan theta = 19.4/8.8 and take that theta away from 90 which gives correct answer but i mustve put it wrong in calc or summink thanks anyways
Original post by Husssein
OMD!, it was a school boy error silly mistake, my method was tan theta = 19.4/8.8 and take that theta away from 90 which gives correct answer but i mustve put it wrong in calc or summink thanks anyways

no problem , i still cant get d around my head
HELPPPPPPPPP : jun 11 Q8 b .. why is it 0.5mu^2= 0.5mv^2 + mga(1+sintheta) and not just 0.5mv^2 + mgasintheta?? why is there an extra mga on the markscheme??
Reply 49
Because the height of b is a+asintheta hence a(1+sintheta)
Reply 50
June 13 question 9)a)i) I used T=lambda*x/original length where x is 0.5, but apparently it's 2.5 and I can't understand why
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466948657.032008.jpg
Can someone please explain how to do 8b , I've had a nightmare with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RockyG
Because the height of b is a+asintheta hence a(1+sintheta)

Why is it not asintheta since the radius is A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by TheKian
June 13 question 9)a)i) I used T=lambda*x/original length where x is 0.5, but apparently it's 2.5 and I can't understand why

The new length of the string is 5.5 m because from A to O it's 3.5 m and from O to B its 2 m, so the extension is 5.5 - 3 = 2.5
Reply 54
Original post by mamounaltayeb
Why is it not asintheta since the radius is A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because the distance from b to the bottom of the circle is more than a , asintheta more so its total distance from the bottom is a + a sintheta :smile:
For part b in this question in the mark scheme when resolving radially it uses R + mgcos60 = mv^2/r which means that the reaction force acts towards the centre of the circle. My reason of thinking was that the reaction force would act in the opposite direction so that it would act outwards (mgcos60 - R = mv^2/r), directly away from the centre of the circle. Can someone explain why R acts towards the centre of the circle?
Reply 56
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
For part b in this question in the mark scheme when resolving radially it uses R + mgcos60 = mv^2/r which means that the reaction force acts towards the centre of the circle. My reason of thinking was that the reaction force would act in the opposite direction so that it would act outwards (mgcos60 - R = mv^2/r), directly away from the centre of the circle. Can someone explain why R acts towards the centre of the circle?

Centripetal force causes the reaction to act inwards.
Original post by Mm68
Can someone confident with moments tell me their technique, my teacher has taught me a variety of methods and I'm getting them confused, mainly for your generic ladder question. I mainly don't understand which way to resolve the forces, been taught in the direction of the line, perpendicular to line, vertical, horizontal, and now I'm getting muddled.

I always resolve vertically, then horizontally and then take moments about a point
Original post by mamounaltayeb
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466948657.032008.jpg
Can someone please explain how to do 8b , I've had a nightmare with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 16.13.23.png
For the next part you just set the answer to 0 to get sin(theta) = 5/6

EDIT: Ignore the one that is under 'attached thumbnail', the one above is the correct one
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
Does anyone have a set formula that works for EPE questions.

Like Final KE - Initial KE = Initial EPE - Final EPE - Work done by friction

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending