The Student Room Group

Why was this decision even given to the British public?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
I'm aware that immigration was a big issue, but unless we allow free movement anyway, we won't gain access to the single market like Norway has. How is a Brexit even going to come close to addressing the migration problems? France has already stopped border checks in Calais. They want us to take back control of our borders, and we're sitting here like complete squares still trying to process how badly we've ****ed up.

we will see what happens, the UK is the second most important economy in the EU and money has a way of making things happen.

perhaps we can now take this opportunity to forge closer trading links with markets that are not stagnating like the EU looks set to do for the next 10-20 years. if this results in tariffs being placed on UK goods for export to the EU and we impose tariffs in return, so be it. they sell more to us and the EU will have tens of thousands of manufacturing workers who lose their jobs. will the EU be able to resist the substantial lobbying clout of the likes of BMW and VW who will be desperate to retain free access to the most open market in the EU? we'll see. i hope the EU doesnt cut their nose off to spite their face - as said previously, whilst they play hardball, they have the jobs of tens of thousands to answer for.

in the meantime, we will have several large trading nations who will be only too keen to deal with the UK on more favourable terms. the UK is a powerful nation no matter what vote remain or the EU believe. i believe this will be borne out in the negotiations.

RE immigration - illegal migration is one thing, i'm talking about legal EU migration. we will always get illegal migrants no matter what, in part thanks to the spinelessness of the French.
Reply 61
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
That's frightening. I'm sure Hitler and Stalin will rest well in their graves knowing so many still carry a torch for totalitarianism.

He was joking. Made me smile he did.:smile:
I don't think your deep insecurity about British education stems from a bunch of elevated areas of terrain

Apply to Durham and I'll understand, you'll fit right into the Trev's left society.
Original post by physicsphysics91
Apply to Durham and I'll understand, you'll fit right into the Trev's left society.

I would not touch Durham with a ten-foot pole, and I'm not a leftist.
That's frightening. I'm sure Hitler and Stalin will rest well in their graves knowing so many still carry a torch for totalitarianism.

OP is German so I hope you are not trying to insinuate anything?
Reply 65
Well,anyway I think it's fair to say that it will be a long time before any politician grants the great British-sorry English and Welsh-electorate another referendum on anything remotely important.:smile:
Original post by Manchester_123
OP is German so I hope you are not trying to insinuate anything?

Here we go with the cheap smears. Was I talking to the OP? No, clearly not, I replied to you directly. I was referring to your chilling, deeply unBritish disregard for democracy.
Here we go with the cheap smears. Was I talking to the OP? No, clearly not, I replied to you directly. I was referring to your chilling, deeply unBritish disregard for democracy.

The fact is you filth will lose :colone:. Remain have the democratic majority in parliament and if you leave scum complain you are basically spitting on democracy
Original post by Fizzel
You realise your argument is basically that within this democracy, the people should not have been trusted to vote as they were not informed (see disagree or uncaring) about the consequences, and that it should have been decided for them by people who know better. Democracy is not about having the best outcome its about having the people's chosen outcome.

Its a classic totalitarian leftist position, almost identical in logic that which gave rise to the reality of the USSR.

Well, at least you agree that the Brexit wasn't the best outcome. I don't even know how to begin to defend the fact that I don't agree with the USSR, but okay.
Maybe they did not have the chance? You have very little ground to comment on the academic backgrounds of the working class (which by the way, built this country).

I come from a working class area and all my friends are working class. They're constantly involved with illegal things e.g. drugs (selling and buying). Everyone gets free education up until college. There's no excuse. They didn't take theirs seriously. It's fine - not everyone has to take their education seriously. But don't come crying saying immigrants are stealing jobs when you become less qualified.

3 things I will never accept in society.
Poor people who had opportunities, religion and lazy people.
I have complaints about that too. But my initial complaint is the most genuine, because this is the doing of Tory backbenchers who don't care about me and you at all, and I'm mad.

I think most Europhiles are.
Original post by BioStudentx
I come from a working class area and all my friends are working class. They're constantly involved with illegal things e.g. drugs (selling and buying). Everyone gets free education up until college. There's no excuse. They didn't take theirs seriously. It's fine - not everyone has to take their education seriously. But don't come crying saying immigrants are stealing jobs when you become less qualified.

Thats pretty narrow minded, even I dont stoop that low :rofl:
The fact is you filth will lose :colone:. Remain have the democratic majority in parliament and if you leave scum complain you are basically spitting on democracy

Wow, another remainer shows his true colours. That is not 'democratic', and you know it. stop lying to yourself and anyone else. You have absolutely no grace.
Why are you bandying about scum? How dare you, you don't have a moral monopoly on anything.

Are we going to run elections that don't count the public votes then?

Maybe MP's should all just vote in elections and their vote should be counted above the public...

You should be ashamed of your conduct, a lot of you young remainers. I have faith one day a younger generation comes through that is made of better stuff than you.
Thats pretty narrow minded, even I dont stoop that low :rofl:

Again, we all have different opinions - like I said mine are unorthodox. . Just because I believe society needs these changes it doesn't mean I start attacking individuals. :laugh: We'll see what the future holds anyway. Maybe brexit is a positive change but we'll see. 2 years down the line I'm going to quote you on it.
Reply 74
If Germany has such a good level of education are only 4 German universities in the the world top 100 (with the highest being 60) wheres the UK has 18?

Germany has no world class universities, but its real strength is an amazing system of professional schools that gives good employment prospects to people who don't have the capacity to go to uni. The UK has the exact opposite system; outside of the world class top 30, unis are not so great, and the education system does little to help those who can't go to uni.

Ideally, the best education system would combine both British elite unis and German fachhochschulen.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 75

I'm two of those things:redface:
Again, we all have different opinions - like I said mine are unorthodox. . Just because I believe society needs these changes it doesn't mean I start attacking individuals. :laugh: We'll see what the future holds anyway. Maybe brexit is a positive change but we'll see. 2 years down the line I'm going to quote you on it.

If it fails I'm jumping ship out of the EU.
Original post by moggis
I'm two of those things:redface:

We can all change to become part of the 'biostudentx' master-race.

Spoiler

Wow, another remainer shows his true colours. That is not 'democratic', and you know it. stop lying to yourself and anyone else. You have absolutely no grace.
Why are you bandying about scum? How dare you, you don't have a moral monopoly on anything.

Are we going to run elections that don't count the public votes then?

Maybe MP's should all just vote in elections and their vote should be counted above the public...

You should be ashamed of your conduct, a lot of you young remainers. I have faith one day a younger generation comes through that is made of better stuff than you.

You just proved how petty leave voters are. If you are not willing to respect the decision of elected individuals you are effectively a fascist.
You just proved how petty leave voters are. If you are not willing to respect the decision of elected individuals you are effectively a fascist.

Haha oh my god listen to yourself, you are trying to spin it like we are the undemocratic ones, you cannot even accept the irrefutable premise of the referendum. You are in major denial and delusion.

Any objective observer from any other country who witnessed this would see how insane, deluded and babyish so many remainers are being.

As I say, I hope a better educated and more sane generation than you comes up beneath you eventually, because if they don't the UK is a lost cause.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending