The Student Room Group

If parliament had allowed 16-18 to vote

Scroll to see replies

I totally agree with you.

16/17 year olds are allowed to work, have sex and get married legally, but are not allowed to vote on subjects that will impact their future severely? It's a huge misconception that the majority of young people are imperceptive towards politics. In every single age group, there are people who use their votes due to influence of others. But, to be honest, the most of us are influenced by people regardless of age; politicians influence us, our parents, our loved ones etc. It's human nature. We grow or disintegrate by influence.

The majority of older people (60+) voted Out because of racially or religiously provoked reasons. Their own families and history have influenced them as well. Influence of patriotism and prejudiced beliefs are also prominent among older people. Thus, believing that older people are able to make more informed decisions is not correct.

Plus, if we did start allowing 16/17 year olds to vote, then maybe making politics compulsory in education would be bloody helpful too, right? Then they would be able to have information alongside things like parental influence.
Finally someone who thinks practically.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pandora___
I totally agree with you.

16/17 year olds are allowed to work, have sex and get married legally, but are not allowed to vote on subjects that will impact their future severely? It's a huge misconception that the majority of young people are imperceptive towards politics. In every single age group, there are people who use their votes due to influence of others. But, to be honest, the most of us are influenced by people regardless of age; politicians influence us, our parents, our loved ones etc. It's human nature. We grow or disintegrate by influence.

The majority of older people (60+) voted Out because of racially or religiously provoked reasons. Their own families and history have influenced them as well. Influence of patriotism and prejudiced beliefs are also prominent among older people. Thus, believing that older people are able to make more informed decisions is not correct.

Plus, if we did start allowing 16/17 year olds to vote, then maybe making politics compulsory in education would be bloody helpful too, right? Then they would be able to have information alongside things like parental influence.

They are also not of the age of majority

And political education is the worst idea ever, who sets the agenda and who ensures that it is followed correctly? There is ko fair way if doing it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
They are also not of the age of majority

And political education is the worst idea ever, who sets the agenda and who ensures that it is followed correctly? There is ko fair way if doing it

Posted from TSR Mobile

If we were taught anything about politics in school at that age we would know that. Right wing politicians run schools they would never allow fair politics classes but at the very least they should teach us something. In tutorial/form sessions maybe. They could tell us what the wings are. What they want. How unfair and corrupt politics is at the very least.
Original post by ThatRandomGirl
If we were taught anything about politics in school at that age we would know that. Right wing politicians run schools they would never allow fair politics classes but at the very least they should teach us something. In tutorial/form sessions maybe. They could tell us what the wings are. What they want. How unfair and corrupt politics is at the very least.

If you don't know that the age of majority is 18 there is something more deeply wrong

And again, you will never get a proper education of what left and right sing are, and it takes about 30s to find out for yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't know that the age of majority is 18 there is something more deeply wrong

And again, you will never get a proper education of what left and right sing are, and it takes about 30s to find out for yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile

30s huh? You learned that in your 30s? I learned it when I was 12. Left wing family with strong opinions but it's not hard when you have the Internet to get other people's opinions.
30s huh? You learned that in your 30s? I learned it when I was 12. Left wing family with strong opinions but it's not hard when you have the Internet to get other people's opinions.

In about 30s and in your 30s are very different, something tells me nobody learnt it before they were 30 seconds old

Posted from TSR Mobile
Problem with people on this site saying that 16 year olds should be allowed to vote and are assuming they would have a very high turnout rate are the types that attend private and grammar schools and who sit down with mummy and daddy to engage In "intellectual" discussion and political debate. They don't factor in that the majority of teenagers aren't like this and are lazier, more concerned with getting with girls and/or smoking cigarettes on the way home from school or at lunch. There's nothing wrong with this, youth should be enjoyed, there's no shame in saying that you were wrong and conceding your position to elders who are more versed in the issues and currently know better than you. Your time will come and unfortunately for you it hasn't to vote in this referendum
I am howling at people insulting the supposed ''political intelligence'' of 16-17 year olds (so supposedly someone who is 17 years 364 days old and someone who is exactly 18 years old must be very very different intelligence wise...) when we have seen countless reports of people in their 20s/30s/40s voting for leave based on the fact they simply don't like immigrants in their area.

I am 20 years old and I've had discussions at college with 16/17 year olds about their views on the referendum and the majority of them do know what they're talking about and can back up their political opinions.

It's disgusting seeing people treating 16-17 year olds as if they're children. We allow 17 year olds (and 16 on mopeds) to drive a vehicle which has the potential to kill another person's life, yet allowing them to vote on something that shapes their future is apparently too far.

I think it was worked out that 16-17 year olds don't account for another to have swayed the vote, but the disgusting patronising attitude some people have towards this age group is sickening.

Some of you need to wake up to the real world; the youth are not stupid as they are not the ones who have caused political and economic suicide in the UK within the past 72 hours.
Original post by Inexorably
I am howling at people insulting the supposed ''political intelligence'' of 16-17 year olds (so supposedly someone who is 17 years 364 days old and someone who is exactly 18 years old must be very very different intelligence wise...)

Again, this regresses down to truly universal suffrage, as do all arguments along these lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kryptonian
Which idiots do that? I care about politics. I thought many others did too.

Not really, it should be compulsory in schools that Politics is talk to get people interested in it in the first place. A subject that allows people to have different views on certain topics, this would help get young people, such as 16-18 year olds get involved more into politics.

Original post by saraxh
In my school most people talk about politics if something big occurs. Maybe teachers should try to teach us more about politics. Most 16 year old's don't even know what youth Parliament is because we were never told anything about it.

In every school, I am pretty sure that if something big occurs in politics it will be at the centre of discussion during the day. However, it should be the norm that politics is taught and that it is talked about everyday as these important things don't happen everyday.

I also agree, 16 year olds don't even know what youth Parliament is. Most also don't even know how politics works, this is fundamentally wrong and an issue that needs to be addressed in this country if we want a higher turnout of young people voting in elections and referendums. If this sort of attitude continues, there will be lower turnouts in the future.
Original post by MrMackyTv
Not really, it should be compulsory in schools that Politics is talk to get people interested in it in the first place. A subject that allows people to have different views on certain topics, this would help get young people, such as 16-18 year olds get involved more into politics.

In every school, I am pretty sure that if something big occurs in politics it will be at the centre of discussion during the day. However, it should be the norm that politics is taught and that it is talked about everyday as these important things don't happen everyday.

I also agree, 16 year olds don't even know what youth Parliament is. Most also don't even know how politics works, this is fundamentally wrong and an issue that needs to be addressed in this country if we want a higher turnout of young people voting in elections and referendums. If this sort of attitude continues, there will be lower turnouts in the future.

I don't think people in my school are interested in politics either as we never discussed this stuff anyway but I am actually really interested in politics. I don't know if talking about it more will help the same people will just get so bored. :smile:
Original post by teenhorrorstory
If 16-18 years old were allowed to vote in the referendum, then it's very likely that remain would have actually won. There's a very clear trend that shows how the elderly are very anti EU while the younger people tend to be pro EU. It's very frustrating for me as a 17 year old to see decisions being made by people who will honestly die within the next 10 years while I am unable to have a say. The future belongs to us, the youth.

Near the end of July, I'm travelling abroad to Spain with my school (from the UK).
We have already booked the tickets and hotels, everything has been paid for. I was wondering if Britain voting to leave will affect our trip. Like will we need Visas since there is no more free movement?
I don't think people in my school are interested in politics either as we never discussed this stuff anyway but I am actually really interested in politics. I don't know if talking about it more will help the same people will just get so bored. :smile:

I think teachers talking about it more in lessons and how it will effect us as a generation will make people of our age to think that politics is important to our lives. Maybe it might be seen as boring to some, probably most, but if we highlight the importance of it then people will be talking about it more.
Original post by Dunya
Near the end of July, I'm travelling abroad to Spain with my school (from the UK).
We have already booked the tickets and hotels, everything has been paid for. I was wondering if Britain voting to leave will affect our trip. Like will we need Visas since there is no more free movement?

No nothing will change, nothing has been implemented yet. Also the euro hasn't even changed against the pound lol
I think teachers talking about it more in lessons and how it will effect us as a generation will make people of our age to think that politics is important to our lives. Maybe it might be seen as boring to some, probably most, but if we highlight the importance of it then people will be talking about it more.

I actually don't think so. I probably think this because my school is full of idiots who seriously just don't care. They act like immature 5 year olds. I doubt very much the people I'm talking about could ever be interested in politics but that is from my own experience. Of course you'll have different views as you've been around a different set of people.
I actually don't think so. I probably think this because my school is full of idiots who seriously just don't care. They act like immature 5 year olds. I doubt very much the people I'm talking about could ever be interested in politics but that is from my own experience. Of course you'll have different views as you've been around a different set of people.

My school is the same but every school is different. Some schools try to get students involved by doing mock polls, I know some schools in the country did that on the day of the referendum. Schools should do things like that to get people more interested in it and have debate groups and extra-curriculum activities. Unfortunately, the government isn't very passionate about getting under 18s involved in Politics.
In about 30s and in your 30s are very different, something tells me nobody learnt it before they were 30 seconds old

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not possible haha. Though in all honesty give it a day and you could get enough insight to make that kind of choice.
My school is the same but every school is different. Some schools try to get students involved by doing mock polls, I know some schools in the country did that on the day of the referendum. Schools should do things like that to get people more interested in it and have debate groups and extra-curriculum activities. Unfortunately, the government isn't very passionate about getting under 18s involved in Politics.

Yes I see your point but the younger they are and become interested the better. I just can't imagine any student in my school showing interest but it is an important issue that must be addressed.
Probably not possible haha. Though in all honesty give it a day and you could get enough insight to make that kind of choice.

I'm sceptical that somebody with no comprehension of the English language, nor even theory of self and the likes, would be able to understand even basic political concepts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending