The Student Room Group

Scotland leaving to Join the EU

Scroll to see replies

Original post by offhegoes
EU membership or not, Scotland is going. The carrot of retaining EU membership is no longer there to encourage people to vote No.

Economic arguments as to why Scotland will stay are based on flawed principles, and I would be stunned to find myself still living in the UK in 5 years time.

The grass ain't always greener...
Original post by interact
You have a cool name, are you a gora?

The Goriest Gora there ever was, like vanilla ice dreams.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
The Goriest Gora there ever was, like vanilla ice dreams.

Lols
Reply 23
Why would any EU country not be keen on Scotland joining?

Apart from anything else I'd have thought any nation that hates the English would be a welcome addition to the EU fold?
Original post by ATW1
Scotland and Scots will still be European after we leave the EU. So will England and English people. We are geographically located in Europe, but have opted out of a failing political union. It's entirely up to the people of Scotland if they now want to push for independence, but you should be aware that leaving the UK by no means guarantees that you can join the EU. It is likely that Spain, Belgium and possibly more EU members would veto a Scottish application to join the EU. Scotland voting to leave the UK would harm Scotland significantly more than the UK.

If its a vote between stay in a union that constantly disregards and drags the people of Scotland into decisions they oppose vs independence, then I see why the people of Scotland are leaving. Because of Leave voters, Scottish people are getting a uncertain economic future either way - they might as well break away from the anchor making the terrible choices now before it does more damage to them.

Original post by offhegoes
EU membership or not, Scotland is going. The carrot of retaining EU membership is no longer there to encourage people to vote No.

Economic arguments as to why Scotland will stay are based on flawed principles, and I would be stunned to find myself still living in the UK in 5 years time.

Basically what this guy said.
Original post by elitepower
Scotland wants to be european. The pound has crashed, companies will flee, jobs will be lost. What benefit is there to Scotland staying? Its a choice between something they like and want vs a union they see as a burden where their decisions are overridden and is chaos.

Good luck with the Euro and dont come running back when it collapses.

Your argument is so weak you have to use a two year old article when you know the circumstances have changed after the EU referendum! :toofunny:There is no evidence to show after the EU referendum that Spain would veto Scotland's entry to the European Union, Infact nothing is certain at all.
Their biggest export is at an all time trading low, unless I've heard incorrectly. Would they fare better off outside the UK?
EU said **** OFF STURGEON :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by welshiee
Good luck with the Euro and dont come running back when it collapses.

I'd be more willing to take my chances with the Euro than be part of a country I'm ashamed of.
Reply 30
Original post by moggis
Why would any EU country not be keen on Scotland joining?

Apart from anything else I'd have thought any nation that hates the English would be a welcome addition to the EU fold?
Spain would likely veto a Scottish application because Catalonia, a area within Spain, is also actively seeking independence. Spain allowing a breakaway state to join would effectively send a message to and encourage the movement in Catalonia for independence. Same for Belgium.
I'd be more willing to take my chances with the Euro than be part of a country I'm ashamed of.

**** off then. Scotland leaving the UK would result in a double blow to Scotland and push it straight into a recession. If thats what you want then good luck with it. You're essentially punching a glass window that has already been somewhat shattered.
**** off then. Scotland leaving the UK would result in a double blow to Scotland and push it straight into a recession. If thats what you want then good luck with it. You're essentially punching a glass window that has already been somewhat shattered.

Planning too. In the long run a lot better off than you'll be.
Reply 33
Original post by ATW1
Spain would likely veto a Scottish application because Catalonia, a area within Spain, is also actively seeking independence. Spain allowing a breakaway state to join would effectively send a message to and encourage the movement in Catalonia for independence. Same for Belgium.

Oh I see.Thanks. But I have another question for anyone in that case.

Why on earth is the Scottish fiirst minister-her name has gone out of my head just now-all over my tv banging on about bloody Scotland and her determination to do what's right for the Scots ad nauseum when it would appear there's virtually no chance of her having another referendum in the next couple of years at least or of joining the EU which is what she's been mostly talking about recently.

That can be rhetorical but my God I've come to utterly despise this woman.Sturgeon that's her.

I used to have a lot of time for the Scots. But not anymore.
(edited 7 years ago)
Planning too. In the long run a lot better off than you'll be.

Delusions of grandeur. :rofl:
Original post by ATW1

Same for most of Europe.
Delusions of grandeur. :rofl:

From a Leave voter without a shadow of irony
Original post by moggis
Oh I see.Thanks. But I have another question for anyone in that case.

Why on earth is the Scottish fiirst minister-her name has gone out of my head just now-all over my tv banging on about bloody Scotland and her determination to do what's right for the Scots ad nauseum when it would appear there's virtually no chance of her having another referendum in the next couple of years at least or of joining the EU which is what she's been mostly talking about recently.

That can be rhetorical but my God I've come to utterly despise this woman.Sturgeon that's her.

I used to have a lot of time for the Scots. But not anymore.

The Welsh must feel hard done by in this union. Whenever something happens against their wishes, they maturely raise their concerns and we work out a compromise, whenever Scotland is upset they threaten to run away like spoiled teenagers. Maybe they should go and not come back,then we can push a Welsh symbol on the flag.
From a Leave voter without a shadow of irony

I'm a left wing leave voter.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
The Welsh must feel hard done by in this union. Whenever something happens against their wishes, they maturely raise their concerns and we work out a compromise, whenever Scotland is upset they threaten to run away like spoiled teenagers. Maybe they should go and not come back.

Yes we are but good riddance to them. Scotland leaving will lead them to collapse in the Eurozone and lead to us eventually being richer with a potential customer base of over 2 billion people. The world is opened up to us now more than ever before. Both Wales and England will benefit from Scotland leaving as they obtain more GDP per capita than either of us.

Scotland would be better off leaving the UK and going it alone in a globalised market with a Scottish currency than it would adopting the Euro and joining the failing Eurozone. Joining the Euro and Eurozone is like jumping on the titanic after its already hit the iceberg and claiming 'oh well its better to be on the big ship than on one of the little dingy's'

You have to be a special sort of idiot to think joining the Eurozone now is a good thing, unless of course you're Turkey or Albania.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending