The Student Room Group

How would you react if parliament blocked EU exit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJBay123
Seems a bit over-dramatic.

Muh democracy
There would be an outcry in the public. There is already a chance of an early general election, that wouldn't really be the best move from Parliament...
Original post by drowzee
That's true :mmm:

I don't read the Guardian that much, tyvm. I'm not going to pretend I know everything about the EU, but I know a lot more than many voters. The political climate is very xenophobic with this anti-immigration rhetoric, and people blame the pressure on public services on immigrants; immigration and sovereignty are not good enough reasons to leave the EU.

The HoC puts through bills the public does not want all the time. The FPTP system is incredibly democratic too :rolleyes:

Having concerns for immigrations isn't synonymous with xenophobia, the more you guys push that envelope the more you devalue the term xenophobia, from both left and right there are concerns with the implications it has on the workforce, to imply they are invalid or simply a symptom of closet racism just shows how informed you must be.

Pressure on public services is a result of many factors including but not limited to immigration. The EU is also a champion of austerity and imposes it on many countries which clearly squeezes their public services also but that's not fitting to this idealist utopia that remainers imply the UK is.

We have chosen our national parliament from the people, the the UK is only represented by some 9% in the EU and adopts unelected commissioners which push forward legislations to a council of ministers in which we are 1 of 28. To conflate them as some sort of necessary evil is silly.
Original post by george_c00per
Here come the Leave campaigners shouting "FFS IT'S DEMOCRACY WE VOTED 2 LEAVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!1!!1! " ....

I literally don't understand your point, sometimes people like you make my brain short circuit, it is a democracy, and the country as a whole voted to leave, what is your actual point? Are you trying to undermine the majority of the country's vote? Why is it that people have no faith in the people of this country, take one look at our past and its clear to see we are a great people, we need to work hard and this country will prosper once more.
Original post by Jacarch12
I literally don't understand your point, sometimes people like you make my brain short circuit, it is a democracy, and the country as a whole voted to leave, what is your actual point? Are you trying to undermine the majority of the country's vote? Why is it that people have no faith in the people of this country, take one look at our past and its clear to see we are a great people, we need to work hard and this country will prosper once more.

omg i was making a topical joke lmao

also "look into our past and its clear to see we are a great people" invading half of the world, starting the slave trade and murdering indigenous people for the sake of our empire? yh we were such gr8 people back in the day u kno
omg i was making a topical joke lmao

also "look into our past and its clear to see we are a great people" invading half of the world, starting the slave trade and murdering indigenous people for the sake of our empire? yh we were such gr8 people back in the day u kno

You don't have to be such a regressive leftist over it, so what that happened we aren't the generation that is to pay for it, additionally every nation, empire back in those times was doing similar if not worse things. I would say Germans are a great peoples but you wouldn't f****** dare try and tell me that they murdered 6 million Jews because that would most likely not work in your leftist regressive agenda.
Original post by physicsphysics91
i'd riot and get my fellow leavers to leave nothing left of london.

King in the North! King in the North!
Reply 47
Some people could call upon ISIS and attack parliament.
A second referendum will be counter productive. The consequences would make the markets trumble even more as more uncertainty will be spawned. If such a significant change has been established, it is important to proceed and there is no going back, hence we will not see a second referendum,
Would mean ISIS can just sit back, laugh and enjoy while this country tears itself apart without having to do anything.
Original post by DJBay123
The Lib Dems and some other MP's have already stated that they will try to block it.
If they are, somehow, successful, how would you react?

I would feel like democracy has been served
Original post by Jacarch12
You don't have to be such a regressive leftist over it, so what that happened we aren't the generation that is to pay for it, additionally every nation, empire back in those times was doing similar if not worse things. I would say Germans are a great peoples but you wouldn't f****** dare try and tell me that they murdered 6 million Jews because that would most likely not work in your leftist regressive agenda.

"I would say Germans are a great peoples but you wouldn't f****** dare try and tell me that they murdered 6 million Jews because that would most likely not work in your leftist regressive agenda." - no, that example is nothing like what you said originally. If you said that Germans were great people in the past then I'd tell you that they murdered 6 million Jews, I wouldn't bring the Holocaust up if you were talking about Germans who live in Germany today. Your original comment said that we were great people if you look into our past, which we certainly weren't all the time.
Reply 52
Well, most of the leave people would then vote UKIP in protest, and this would mean we would leave again.
Lets be honest. We might not have a Scotland in the UK when article 50 is going to be ratified.
"I would say Germans are a great peoples but you wouldn't f****** dare try and tell me that they murdered 6 million Jews because that would most likely not work in your leftist regressive agenda." - no, that example is nothing like what you said originally. If you said that Germans were great people in the past then I'd tell you that they murdered 6 million Jews, I wouldn't bring the Holocaust up if you were talking about Germans who live in Germany today. Your original comment said that we were great people if you look into our past, which we certainly weren't all the time.

My original point was basing that we have been triumphant people in the past, and we can be now, I wasn't comparing what we did in the past to what we are likely to do now, just the can-do attitude...
I think any party which blocks the result of the referendum will be signing its own death warrant. They would lose all credibility with the electorate and fringe parties would gain a much bigger slice of the vote.
i would make strong memes
Original post by glebp
A second referendum will be counter productive. The consequences would make the markets trumble even more as more uncertainty will be spawned. If such a significant change has been established, it is important to proceed and there is no going back, hence we will not see a second referendum,

It would be hilarious. Remainers think that they can just have a second vote and then that would not be advisory but binding. Hypocrisy at its finest. Expect extreme reactions if they block the Brexit happening. There would be massive blowback.
Reply 58
Original post by drowzee
The Lib Dems alone cannot block it. However, if enough MPs from across all the parties form a majority, then yes they could block it. I would rejoice tbh; I know it's undemocratic but I know the public made the wrong choice.

There will probably be a three line whip in both Labour and Tory groups ordering their MPs to respect the wish of the people.
Reply 59
Original post by James.Carnell
I think any party which blocks the result of the referendum will be signing its own death warrant. They would lose all credibility with the electorate and fringe parties would gain a much bigger slice of the vote.

Yes, especially Labour. They would lose the north to UKIP in 2020.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending