The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360

The difference is that in 3c you are finding a FIXED probability so you can model 3d binomially. You need to define a new variable.. I'll walk you through:

Ok, you have your answer to 3c don't you. You need to model this binomially with a different variable e.g. Y which would be the number of months with atleast 1 accident. So you now have Y~B(6.0.777) because you are looking at 6 months. You then look for the probability you want which in this case is EXACTLY 4 months. P(X=4) use the formula in the booklet and find the probability. Does this help ?
Original post by economicss
Please could you post the answer for part c, I keep getting a decimal for the mean and not a fraction, thanks :smile:

I don't have the answers I'm afriad :lol: they may well not be fractions, it's the method that's most important anyway :tongue: I'll have a look at the answers in a bit and quote you again.
Original post by SeanFM
I dunno, I don't think it was particularly obvious. But you've seen it once now and that would be enough, and if you get asked something slightly different you can just kind of step back and think about how to solve it.

True, I appreciate your help!
Original post by SeanFM
I'm not quite sure either :tongue: you've asked about f(1) but then calculated f(2).

But surely the mode is the highest point of the pdf graph which is at f(2)?
For the June 2015 Paper:
https://57a324a1a586c5508d2813730734691051ac35fd.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ3M4QzJ0N19IeHc/June%202015%20QP%20-%20S2%20Edexcel.pdf

Question 3 (d): When they usually ask for the quartiles and the median(For other questions) , which function do you equate to 0.75 if there are more than one? Do you add up the F(x) of both then equate, or equate any one of them?
Original post by Music With Rocks
But surely the mode is the highest point of the pdf graph which is at f(2)?

Correct - that corresponds to a value of x =2. It's the input that matters, not the output.
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A-Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam-materials/6684_01_que_20150622.pdf
Q5d, someone help me please and that'll be the last you'll see of me until I begin screaming for help with C3, C4, FP2, FP3, M2, M3 and maybe D1.
Original post by JammyW15
For the June 2015 Paper:
https://57a324a1a586c5508d2813730734691051ac35fd.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ3M4QzJ0N19IeHc/June%202015%20QP%20-%20S2%20Edexcel.pdf

Question 3 (d): When they usually ask for the quartiles and the median(For other questions) , which function do you equate to 0.75 if there are more than one? Do you add up the F(x) of both then equate, or equate any one of them?

You have to work it out :tongue: (if there's just two, take F(the upper limit of this function)) and see if it's more or less than 0.75. If it's more than 0.75, it's somewhere in the first function. If it's less, then it's definitely in the second function.
Original post by SeanFM
Correct - that corresponds to a value of x =2. It's the input that matters, not the output.

ohhhh... I get it now, thank you very much :tongue:
For the June 2015 Paper:

Use the part of the CDF of which the upper quartile will lie in, which in this case is the second equation. Picture the graph in your head/sketch if struggling :smile:
Original post by wr123
The difference is that in 3c you are finding a FIXED probability so you can model 3d binomially. You need to define a new variable.. I'll walk you through:

Ok, you have your answer to 3c don't you. You need to model this binomially with a different variable e.g. Y which would be the number of months with atleast 1 accident. So you now have Y~B(6.0.777) because you are looking at 6 months. You then look for the probability you want which in this case is EXACTLY 4 months. P(X=4) use the formula in the booklet and find the probability. Does this help ?

If you do poisson for any question, the probability you find from that, is that always a fixed probability.
Original post by AlphaArgonian
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A-Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam-materials/6684_01_que_20150622.pdf
Q5d, someone help me please and that'll be the last you'll see of me until I begin screaming for help with C3, C4, FP2, FP3, M2, M3 and maybe D1.

binomial (4,p) where you should be able to get p quite easy
Original post by SeanFM
You have to work it out :tongue: (if there's just two, take F(the upper limit of this function)) and see if it's more or less than 0.75. If it's more than 0.75, it's somewhere in the first function. If it's less, then it's definitely in the second function.

Ah Alright thank you!
Use the part of the CDF of which the upper quartile will lie in, which in this case is the second equation. Picture the graph in your head/sketch if struggling :smile:

Oh okay thanks!
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
binomial (4,p) where you should be able to get p quite easy

I understand where 4 comes from but fail to see how to find p please help
Ah Alright thank you!

Just in case there's 3 functions.. in general, as you'd expect, there's only 1 x value, or one of the functions, such that F(X) = 0.75, so equating to any one of them won't work - you first have to work out which one it actually is, usually by trial and error (and testing the ranges of each function, to use C3 lingo).
Do we need to know the proofs for mean and variance: (a+b)/2 and 1/12(b-a)^12?? If so, how do u derive them?
Original post by SeanFM
Sorry - I didn't get that notification (I'd show you proof of that if you want, but feeling too lazy :tongue:) - notifications are bugged at the moment if you've noticed.

You haven't integrated 3x/20 correctly, I think.

Oh dear rookie error... thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand where 4 comes from but fail to see how to find p please help

use poisson
Original post by Karatekid Shiva
Do we need to know the proofs for mean and variance: (a+b)/2 and 1/12(b-a)^12?? If so, how do u derive them?

Yes. Through integration - look on examsolutions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending