The Student Room Group

I need help please!

Ok, so I am currently in year 12, and I'm going to be applying for uni in September.
I have a strong passion for Aeroplanes, and I wanted to study Aeronautical engineering at Uni. However I dont't actually want to work as an Engineer, I want to work as an Investment Banker. Therefore I am in a dilemma shall I pick a Finance degree or Engineering.

I heard that large banks still will choose someone who has a Engineering degree but they'll have to train them (Teach the finance then teach how to work at that particular bank). Therefore someone who has a finance degree will already have that knowledge and hence will only need to transfer the knowledge to a work environment.
[QUOTE=mahmzo;66120207]Ok, so I am currently in year 12, and I'm going to be applying for uni in September.
I have a strong passion for Aeroplanes, and I wanted to study Aeronautical engineering at Uni. However I dont't actually want to work as an Engineer, I want to work as an Investment Banker. Therefore I am in a dilemma shall I pick a Finance degree or Engineering.

I heard that large banks still will choose someone who has a Engineering degree but they'll have to train them (Teach the finance then teach how to work at that particular bank). Therefore someone who has a finance degree will already have that knowledge and hence will only need to transfer the knowledge to a work environment.

Do whatever degree you want. Many of the graduate programs don't need a specific degree and they'll be happy to train you. They spend so much hiring people, so training isn't a problem.

I have never heard that people with a finance degree have less training. The theoretical knowledge is different from the practical application.

Many of my family members work for banks like HSBC, JP Morgan and Lloyds. None of them have a finance degree. One even has a degree in computer science.
Reply 2
Original post by Peppercrunch
Do whatever degree you want. Many of the graduate programs don't need a specific degree and they'll be happy to train you. They spend so much hiring people, so training isn't a problem.

I have never heard that people with a finance degree have less training. The theoretical knowledge is different from the practical application.

Many of my family members work for banks like HSBC, JP Morgan and Lloyds. None of them have a finance degree. One even has a degree in computer science.

I mean me as person. Will i need to learn finance afterwards. If i do a finance degree i wouldnt need to study after my degree right? But if i had an engineering degree i would need to learn the finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can still do an Engineering degree and get into finance. However, make sure you do an Engineering degree at a top uni. I believe companies will train you up afterwards.

If you want to get into finance, do a finance degree.
Reply 4
Original post by Analyst89
You can still do an Engineering degree and get into finance. However, make sure you do an Engineering degree at a top uni. I believe companies will train you up afterwards.

If you want to get into finance, do a finance degree.

I just dont wanna be in the situation where i have to learn finance afterwards. Where as if i already have the knowledge i will be somewhere at the top as soon as i enter. Thanks alot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mahmzo
I just dont wanna be in the situation where i have to learn finance afterwards. Where as if i already have the knowledge i will be somewhere at the top as soon as i enter. Thanks alot

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you won't be. Everyone will 'learn finance' when they start the job, regardless of their degree, because 'learn finance' actually means 'learn to do the job'. The process of learning the job will be the same regardless of the degree, it will be the same for people with degrees in Finance, Engineering, History or Biology.
Original post by mahmzo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with the above poster, regardless of the degree, you will get training. Try Aston uni for finance if you are going that route, they do a guaranteed work placement year in year 3 and their uni is well respected.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending