The Student Room Group

OCR (non mei) FP2 Monday 27th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drandy76
Doesn't 3 ii reduce to a quadratic? At least that's what it looks like from a glance

Posted from TSR Mobile

It reduces to cubic. you have quadratic in denominator of tanh(2x) and you have to multiply it to (1+6 tanh x)
Original post by tangotangopapa2
It reduces to cubic. you have quadratic in denominator of tanh(2x) and you have to multiply it to (1+6 tanh x)

Ah that's true

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doesn't 3 ii reduce to a quadratic? At least that's what it looks like from a glance

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel dumb if it does, how so? Like the powers aren't all even so you can't let a=x^2 I don't think and solve it for a if that's what u mean

I've got to go walk the dog haha
Any good links to questions/notes for Newson-Raphson, polar co-ords, and reduction formulae?

Thanks in advance
Original post by duncanjgraham
I feel dumb if it does, how so? Like the powers aren't all even so you can't let a=x^2 I don't think and solve it for a if that's what u mean

I've got to go walk the dog haha

Nah I just didn't think it through all the way, yous right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by duncanjgraham
june 2012 q 3ii and 8iii)

I remember those now. The best thing to do is to buy a Casio fx-991ES calculator if you don't use one already. It can find the numerical solutions to cubics allowing you to get the roots easily.
Original post by marioman
I remember those now. The best thing to do is to buy a Casio fx-991ES calculator if you don't use one already. It can find the numerical solutions to cubics allowing you to get the roots easily.

bit late for that now :smile:
Reply 87
Doe anybody know whether or not one can sketch Polar coordinates with the fx 9750? If so, how?
Original post by Pinley
Doe anybody know whether or not one can sketch Polar coordinates with the fx 9750? If so, how?

On graph, press F3(type), then F2(r=), then just put in the equation.
Make sure you change back to y= when you do any integration or differentiation (even for a polar equation) otherwise it'll give you something else.

I don't know how anybody could survive without a graphing calculator in any A2 maths exam tbh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone have the 2015 paper and ms? Not had a crack at it yet
Reply 91
Original post by PotAuFeu
On graph, press F3(type), then F2(r=), then just put in the equation.
Make sure you change back to y= when you do any integration or differentiation (even for a polar equation) otherwise it'll give you something else.

I don't know how anybody could survive without a graphing calculator in any A2 maths exam tbh.

Cheers! I have an fx991 so will use that for integration/differentiation if needs be. Thus far I've only used my graphic calculator in C3 but I think it might come into use tomorrow!
Original post by rich1334
Does anyone have the 2015 paper and ms? Not had a crack at it yet

2015 is quite brutal, someone in my class was determined to finish it in a mock, took him 3 hours...

high boundaries too :frown:
Original post by 16characterlimit
2015 is quite brutal, someone in my class was determined to finish it in a mock, took him 3 hours...

high boundaries too :frown:

Most of the questions were alright I thought, just a few parts early on such as 4(iii) and 5(ii) which are easy to lose time on by doing them via an inefficient method. January 2012 is probably one of the hardest past papers. That one was 49/72 for an A!
Original post by marioman
Most of the questions were alright I thought, just a few parts early on such as 4(iii) and 5(ii) which are easy to lose time on by doing them via an inefficient method. January 2012 is probably one of the hardest past papers. That one was 49/72 for an A!

Might just be me being weird but I actually got a fair few more marks on the Jan 12 paper than June 15

Posted from TSR Mobile
I still can't believe OCR organised the FP2 and physics G485 papers to be set one day after each other.
Reply 96
can anyone explain how to do 2015 5(iii) ? please ?
Original post by uiui9090
can anyone explain how to do 2015 5(iii) ? please ?

Differentiate the expression in part 5 ii not the actual functions they represent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Differentiate the expression in part 5 ii not the actual functions they represent

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do I have to Differentiate again ?
Original post by PotAuFeu
I still can't believe OCR organised the FP2 and physics G485 papers to be set one day after each other.

If it's any consolation, AQA have put physics PHYA5 on Tuesday too

Quick Reply

Latest