The Student Room Group

Edexcel C4 June 2016 - Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have the solution to the final part of Q8 ? Thanks
Original post by fefssdf
Hey was part 8E to find the area of the triangle ?

Yup, 8E was the area of the triangle question
Original post by irahman786
Yup, 8E was the area of the triangle question

I ended up with the area as 24/5 and not 12/5 so do you think I'd still get 1 mark seeing as I must have just multiplied through by a 2 for some reason ?
Original post by fefssdf
I ended up with the area as 24/5 and not 12/5 so do you think I'd still get 1 mark seeing as I must have just multiplied through by a 2 for some reason ?

Depends, what method did you use? I did 1/2 * Root 8 * Root 8 * 3/5 . If you did something similar you should get 1 mark
Depends, what method did you use? I did 1/2 * Root 8 * Root 8 * 3/5 . If you did something similar you should get 1 mark

Yep I did 1/2 AB sin C for this.. I'm guessing I copied one of the sides down incorrectly -_-.. Hopefully I wrote down the sides right and just made an error with my calculator
Original post by fefssdf
Yep I did 1/2 AB sin C for this.. I'm guessing I copied one of the sides down incorrectly -_-.. Hopefully I wrote down the sides right and just made an error with my calculator

Yeah then i dont see why you shouldnt pick up one mark.
Yeah then i dont see why you shouldnt pick up one mark.

ah hopefully the examiner is nice - also for the trapezium rule question I used the incorrect height and so my answer was wrong...
I need these 2 marks cause I want like 94 ums in this argh
out of the whole paper - the bits i mess up are the area of a triangle and trapezium rule -_-
Original post by fefssdf
ah hopefully the examiner is nice - also for the trapezium rule question I used the incorrect height and so my answer was wrong...
I need these 2 marks cause I want like 94 ums in this argh
out of the whole paper - the bits i mess up are the area of a triangle and trapezium rule -_-

You'll probably get 2 marks out of 3 for the trapezium rule losing just the A1 mark. If youre unlucky you'll get 1
Reply 548
On question 6b I got lambda = 16 because I took sqrt4 out as a factor from the top and bottom of the fractions instead of cancelling to one so this doubled my value of lambda. my answer to part c was just double the real answer so how many marks would i lose? I reckon 1-2 for 6b and 1 for part c due to follow through marks. Then in 8e i got lambda = plus minus 2/5 but substituted this into the equation that varies with lambda and ignored the starting vector, would i lose 1 mark or 2 marks here?
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
Grade boundaries are not released until the day before results day. Most people on here have estimated the 90 UMS/A* boundary to be between 67 and 71 out of 75.

i think i just about got an A*...

got 71/75 in c3 and 68/75 c4 :biggrin::biggrin:

wasn't that much of a difficulty paper.. anyone doing OCR physics ??
Reply 550
Original post by apple9296
i think i just about got an A*...

got 71/75 in c3 and 68/75 c4 :biggrin::biggrin:

wasn't that much of a difficulty paper.. anyone doing OCR physics ??

OCR B?
You'll probably get 2 marks out of 3 for the trapezium rule losing just the A1 mark. If youre unlucky you'll get 1

Hmm I hope so but I can see it being A1 for finding the height and then M1 for using the rule and then the last A1 for the answer ...

Can you tell me how the height was actually calculated cause I can't remember how I ended up with 5/2
if you get the wrong integral, do you lose all the marks, like for example, In 6c) instead of integrating sin squared x I differentiated by accident, do I still get marks for like substituting the limits etc?
For the implicit differentiation question part a I got an answer that was incidental but both the numerator and bottom were multiplied by -1. When you substitute values in you get the same answers but do you think I'd have lost any marks for presentation?
Could have potentially got 100 UMS but I'm worried as I made a mistake on 3 and had to go back to fix it. I got the right answer but the working was very scruffy so they may not be able to read it.
Question, for volumes of revol I Only worked out total volume (formed by everything under the curve), forgot to take away from the cyclinder (was a 4 mark question) how many marks would I drop there?

Also on the last question Finding Co ords of E, In the last minute I found in my calc that lambda = +-2/5, I wrote that its those values and wrote the corresponding co ords, however I didn't show me getting -+ 2/5, how many marks (out of 5) would I drop?

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EdwinLangley
For the implicit differentiation question part a I got an answer that was incidental but both the numerator and bottom were multiplied by -1. When you substitute values in you get the same answers but do you think I'd have lost any marks for presentation?

I think it would be really quite harsh, so I doubt it - I've seen it be accepted both ways on markschemes in similar situations but that's not a guarantee. I think you most likely will
Original post by k.russell
idk, I know a lot of people who got full/almost marks on C4 but no one who got full marks on C3. I wouldn't be that surprised to see it similar to last years boundaries, maybe +1 or 2. Having done both, ours didn't feel particularly easier but I'm sure it was a little harder because of the whole exam conditions thang

Yep, everything is magnified under exam conditions. I remember coming out of C3 and thinking it was extremely difficult, but once I'd seen the model answers I realised it really wasn't that bad.
Do you think 70/75 will be 90 UMS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending