The Student Room Group

When should i take the UKCAT?

Hi i just finished my GCSEs and i was wondering whether i should begin preparing for the UKCAT as i want to go into dentistry. I am 16 so i was wondering if i can give the UKCAT in September and if it is a wise decision.
Original post by smhn
Hi i just finished my GCSEs and i was wondering whether i should begin preparing for the UKCAT as i want to go into dentistry. I am 16 so i was wondering if i can give the UKCAT in September and if it is a wise decision.

You actually take the UKCAT in your year 12 summer holidays because you apply to universities in September. So you would have to do it next year. I really don't think you should start preparing from now because if you do, you will run out of resources and it doesn't require a whole year's preparation. Many of my friends prepared only for a month and they got >730 scores so I think you should just relax now!! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by FutureMedic97
You actually take the UKCAT in your year 12 summer holidays because you apply to universities in September. So you would have to do it next year. I really don't think you should start preparing from now because if you do, you will run out of resources and it doesn't require a whole year's preparation. Many of my friends prepared only for a month and they got >730 scores so I think you should just relax now!! :biggrin:

But don't you think it's wise to do one now and if i get a score I don't like then I can do it again next year?
Reply 3
Original post by smhn
But don't you think it's wise to do one now and if i get a score I don't like then I can do it again next year?

Your score is only valid for entry in the year in which you take the test. You really needn't be worrying about this right now! Make the most of the nice long summer holidays you have ahead of you.

If you really are thinking about you application already then maybe think about getting some quality work experience, doing some voluntary work, getting a job etc. I wasn't even 100% sure medicine was the course I would definitely apply for until late year 12.
Original post by smhn

Original post by JC25
Your score is only valid for entry in the year in which you take the test. You really needn't be worrying about this right now! Make the most of the nice long summer holidays you have ahead of you.

If you really are thinking about you application already then maybe think about getting some quality work experience, doing some voluntary work, getting a job etc. I wasn't even 100% sure medicine was the course I would definitely apply for until late year 12.

I totally agree with the above ^
Just get really good work experience, since your summer is really long, you can get a lot of work experience done. This is really important because when September comes, you will be really busy with AS etc
Original post by smhn

Hi smhn

It is great that you are so keen and that you already have in mind that you need to be well prepared for your UKCAT but as some others have said, you won't sit it until next year, so you don't need to start preparing just yet.

There are plenty of things that you can focus on over the summer holidays to help you in your application for dentistry. One thing that I would advise putting some time and effort into is work experience. Have you got anything arranged? Try and give some thought to the sort of experience you will get from different work experience environments. The things that universities are interested in when it comes to work experience is how you reflect on it and your ability to be able to discuss in a mature way what you have gained from the experience.

This would be a really great use of your time for this summer, then next summer you can hit your UKCAT prep hard and you will be in fantastic position.

You might be interested in this blog post about work experience and the things to consider. Although it talks about medicine as whole, you can absolutely apply the same thoughts to dentistry.

I hope that gives you something you can work on so that you feel as though you are moving forward with your application.

Give me a shout if there is anything else I can help with.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest