The Student Room Group

OCR MEI FP2 Thread - AM 27th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Connorbwfc
1/2 ln (2x/5 + root(4x^2/25 + 1) is my answer.

The answer in the guidance section is ln (2x/5 + root(4x^2/25 + 1)

Isn't this my answer without the 1/2 infront of it?

Oh yeah sorry I didn't notice that, I'm not sure, maybe make a thread asking the question if no one else responds as someone will surely know the answer :frown:
Original post by Alex621
Oh yeah sorry I didn't notice that, I'm not sure, maybe make a thread asking the question if no one else responds as someone will surely know the answer :frown:

Please could you attempt the question and see what answer you get...

I've asked my friend and they also get the same answer as me.
I'm probably just being really stupid but how do you integrate the 1/(pi + theta)^2 part? Thanks
Please could you attempt the question and see what answer you get...

I've asked my friend and they also get the same answer as me.

Usually I integrate into the form arsinh(x/a), then convert to ln, and that gave me the same answer as you, with the 1/2 at the front, but I just tried integrating straight into ln form, using the formula in the booklet in the integration table, rather than the formula on the next page and I got the answer in the mark scheme, I'm really confused too now...
Original post by Alex621
I'm probably just being really stupid but how do you integrate the 1/(pi + theta)^2 part? Thanks

It's just basic integration rules. So it's like integrating (Pi + theta)^-2, so you increase the power to -1 and then divide by the new power (-1).
It's just basic integration rules. So it's like integrating (Pi + theta)^-2, so you increase the power to -1 and then divide by the new power (-1).

Oh right ok thanks :lol: I haven't done any basic C4 integration for ages
Could anyone help me with june 13 4IV, I tried intergrating by parts but I just end up going in a loops:s-smilie: really confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HFancy1997
Could anyone help me with june 13 4IV, I tried intergrating by parts but I just end up going in a loops:s-smilie: really confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you write out the whole integration by parts formula, on the LHS you have the original integral, and on RHS you have the negative of it, add it onto the LHS, then you have 2x(the original integral) so divide both sides by two, and then continue
Original post by Alex621
If you write out the whole integration by parts formula, on the LHS you have the original integral, and on RHS you have the negative of it, add it onto the LHS, then you have 2x(the original integral) so divide both sides by two, and then continue

I dont quite understand what you mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HFancy1997
I dont quite understand what you mean

Posted from TSR Mobile

-Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 16.07.15.jpg
In the eigenvector question in jan 13, i got all the 3 eigenvalues correct and one eigenvector correct but the other two i got the ones in the mark scheme but with the signs switched? Does the signs matter in the eigenvector even if theyre compatible with sim equations you derived?
Original post by groovy_q
In the eigenvector question in jan 13, i got all the 3 eigenvalues correct and one eigenvector correct but the other two i got the ones in the mark scheme but with the signs switched? Does the signs matter in the eigenvector even if theyre compatible with sim equations you derived?

Doesn't matter if they work.
Original post by Alex621
-Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 16.07.15.jpg

Oh wow didnt know this was a thing! Thanks man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53

Generally signs don't matter but you should give the. In the simplest form. Thsi means in a 3x3 matrix you should always have at least 2 positives in the eigenvalues vector but in a 2x2 matrix it doesn't matter.
Original post by Alex621

I used substitution for this, dont understand what the mark scheme did but substitution worked:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
Generally signs don't matter but you should give the. In the simplest form. Thsi means in a 3x3 matrix you should always have at least 2 positives in the eigenvalues vector but in a 2x2 matrix it doesn't matter.

In my answer i had two positive values in the eigenvector and the answer in the mark scheme only had 1? Theres also nothing from that mark scheme that suggests ignore the sign so im pretty worried haha
Reply 56
In my answer i had two positive values in the eigenvector and the answer in the mark scheme only had 1? Theres also nothing from that mark scheme that suggests ignore the sign so im pretty worried haha

I wouldn't worry then. Both are generally correct but my guess would be that examiner didn't think about simplification. You'd get the marks :h:
So worried about this exam, need an A for this...any predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
1/2 ln (2x/5 + root(4x^2/25 + 1) is my answer.

The answer in the guidance section is ln (2x/5 + root(4x^2/25 + 1)

Isn't this my answer without the 1/2 infront of it?

I'm guessing you did something like factor out 125\frac{1}{\sqrt{25}} from the original integral, and then had a2=1a^2 = 1 and x=2x5x = \frac{2x}{5} ?

So 1511+4x225dx\frac{1}{5} \displaystyle\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{4x^2}{25}}} dx
Reply 59
Quick question: When plotting points on an Argand diagram do you have to draw lines to the point from the origin? This is usually when plotting the roots of a complex number.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending