The Student Room Group

People who claim Brexiters are less intelligent than Bremainers...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
What plan? Just keep things the way the were.

They couldn't do that -- they would renegotiate anything people were unhappy with -- part and parcel of living in a democracy.
Reply 101
Original post by TercioOfParma
Didn't Winston Churchill also say "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."?

Spot on, democracy has its flaws, especially when the average voter is a moron like in the UK/USA, but it's the best we've got. So a terrible decision every now and again like leaving the EU is still better than any form dictatorship, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Swings and roundabouts.
Original post by sorry13
Everything you've said is another regurgitated lie -- Canada doesn't have an unstable government but you might want to check on South Korea and it's relations with NK and China... look at how it affects their government.

No we have zero say now. Zero say. The EU will continue to exist and affect us.

I'm going to ask why on earth you don't think Farage is racist? Were you born yesterday?

Lol you are starting to sound like you've got your head in the sand. South Korea has a very stable government and well developed infrastructure..

For somebody who must have got 3 A*s and be at Oxbridge you seem to develop very flimsy arguments and be rather ignorant of the facts?
Original post by AverageExcellence
Sounds like you're definitely jelly of my smarty

I think you're inferring wrong, darling.
Reply 104
Original post by sorry13
There's a **** ton of manifestos, articles and speeches both in newspapers, on TV and on the internet, I'm answering 4 other people here, and even so EU if we'd stayed, we would have negotiated on finance so that people had a clearer idea of what we spent on what and where within the EU, people would have a bill of rights potentially which would underline their rights with the EU better (similar to the US Constitution) we'd negotiate borders and our intake of immigrants and free movement, also fishing boundaries and borders too. It was all going to be smooth negotiation to diminish the high levels of apathy of people who wanted to leave the EU. There's loads on it.

This is where you're completely wrong. There would be no more negotiation. This is what Juncker said a few days before the vote:
“The British policy makers and the British voters have to know that there will not be any kind of renegotiation. We have concluded a deal with the prime minister, he got the maximum he could receive, we gave the maximum we could give.So there will be no renegotiation, not on the agreement we found in February, nor as far as any kind of treaty negotiations are concerned."
Reply 105
Original post by DorianGrayism
What plan? Just keep things the way they were.

No thanks.
Original post by Samiz
This is where you're completely wrong. There would be no more negotiation. This is what Juncker said a few days before the vote:

Do you think Juncker has a say over absolutely everything? Also that doesn't mean we wouldn't be exchanging something back either.
Reply 107
Original post by sorry13
Do you think Juncker has a say over absolutely everything? Also that doesn't mean we wouldn't be exchanging something back either.

Um, considering he's the president of the EU Commission, yes....

And it has nothing to do with exchanging back. He made clear, if we stayed we accepted things exactly how they were.
Original post by Samiz
No thanks.

So then don't expect a plan.
Original post by Samiz

And it has nothing to do with exchanging back. He made clear, if we stayed we accepted things exactly how they were.

This.
Original post by Samiz

He doesn't -- everybody has to agree overall.
Original post by sorry13
I think you're inferring wrong, darling.

Hey, if you're so sure, why don't you tell us?
Original post by TercioOfParma
Hey, if you're so sure, why don't you tell us?

What are you talking about? Tell you what? That he's inferring I'm jealous of his grades? Yes he is. I'm not jealous lol.
Original post by Samiz

Lol. When Juncker says something, you take it literally even though the power he has is limited.

When Obama says something....don't listen to it.
Reply 114
Original post by sorry13
He doesn't -- everybody has to agree overall.

So if we wanted further negotiations, everybody would have to agree overall. Yeah. But Mr Juncker would not agree. Therefore everybody would not agree overall. Therefore no renegotiation.
I get the point, we all do. Idiots can manage to get into university, and some even graduate. Bright people sometimes don't.

But let's not pretend that all these Brexiteers without degrees are self-made millionaires or working for social enterprise businesses.

At some point you have to just accept that, on average, Leave voters are less intelligent. Just in the same way that on average Leave voters are older.
I have a 2.1 law degree from a good RG uni and I voted leave. It's not about the degree - I don't care for rubbing it in people's faces, and I certainly don't think having this makes me a genius - but I have been accused of being 'uneducated', 'unintelligent', or flat out 'stupid' but so many people that I just find the whole thing rather hilarious.

I also have to say the people I know personally who have voted leave (and I live in London where most voted remain) are some of the most intelligent people I know. Heads of departments at big London teaching hospitals, barristers, doctors, researchers. I think it's exceptionally arrogant for someone to claim 52% of the country is stupid.
Original post by Samiz
So if we wanted further negotiations, everybody would have to agree overall. Yeah. But Mr Juncker would not agree. Therefore everybody would not agree overall. Therefore no renegotiation.

If there's a higher proportion of people who say "Yes let's negotiate", they'll go with the highest vote. The EU's a democratic organisation, you seem to forget this.
Original post by Samiz
Sussex

I think the more interesting question is, why go to Sussex with A*A*A predictions?
Original post by richpanda
You usually start with 'people with a university degree are more likely to vote remain'. This is 2016. Anyone who can get 2 D grades at A level can get in to some university, albeit not often a quality university.

Let's take Kerry and James. Kerry is 22, and has just received her 2.2 in American Studies from the University of Wolverhampton. She voted remain because she wants to 'experience life' in Europe, and being in the EU will mean that she won't have to apply for a visa or pay roaming charges when she's on holiday before returning to work in a call centre.

James is also 22 and is the co-owner of a building contracting company that he started when he was 19. He voted leave because cheap migrant workers undercut British workers, and he is also worried about how the EU is becoming more authoritarian, and Turkey potentially joining it. He owns a home, has no debt and is called a racist by people online.

Still think a degree makes you more intelligent.

Lastly, the idea that Leave voters aren't just uneducated in general, but are also uneducated on the referendum. Because surely if they were educated, they'd vote remain, right? Right?.

Us working and even lower middle class people are fed up of being told what to do, how we're stupid and uneducated. Whilst you're sitting drinking coffee and eating artisan bread and reading the Guardian, we see nothing of benefit from the EU.

mirin

repped

Quick Reply

Latest