The Student Room Group

Statistics GCSE 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wenqi.s
I came across Cartesian grids in the spec. Does anyone know how they work?? It says 'understand and use Venn diagrams and Cartesian grids'. I know how to use Venn diagrams but Cartesian grids I don't so plz can someone explain this to me??

Cartesian grids are another word for sample space diagrams
Can someone plz tell me the advantages of a questionnaire and how to interpret srrc plz tx
Original post by wenqi.s
I think my teacher didn't teach me half the content :frown:

Same here we had one week to learn everything although it's very do able
Reply 63
I'm new to a school and i am taking the stats paper but I have no coursework. What would I need to get even a C grade.
Original post by nisha.sri
True !!

No doubt it'll come up tomorrow
Original post by hkirkpatrick
No doubt it'll come up tomorrow

Hey there could you help me out with this question :smile:

On two farms there are pigs that are 20 weeks old. On each farm the weights of the pigs are assumed to be normally distributed.

Farm A - Mean weight is 85 and Standard deviation is 2.5.

Draw the graph.
Can u just tell me the adv of questionnaires
Reply 67
If you are struggling with any topics there is a really good teacher who goes through them in hour long videos. Just speed the video up to the maximum if you are short on time [video="youtube;zONJnxvd3GA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONJnxvd3GA[/video]
Original post by Amnotsure
Can u just tell me the adv of questionnaires

Cheaper
Quicker to analyse
Easy to categorise
Anyone could you help me with this question

On two farms there are pigs that are 20 weeks old. On each farm the weights of the pigs are assumed to be normally distributed.

Draw the graph.
They are cheap and easy. Plus you can have large numbers of participants.
Anyone could you help me with this question

Draw the graph.

I cant draw the graph here and it is quite hard to help you.

It is like a bell shape. The peak is the mean. Under the bell the population.Standard deviation shows how spread out it is. By standard deviation 3, the part of the bell should be nearly touching the x axis. Consult your wrokbook or google for further help.

remember these numbers:

SD1 and -1 should cover 68% of the population
SD2 and -2 should cover 95% of the population
SD3 and -3 should cover 99% of the population
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stoyfan
I cant draw the graph here and it is quite hard to help you.

It is like a bell shape. The peak is the mean. Under the bell the population.Standard deviation shows how spread out it is. By standard deviation 3, the part of the bell should be nearly touching the x axis. Consult your wrokbook or google for further help.

Oh ok i understand everything except from the Standard deviation of 3 - where did you get that from ?
Cheaper
Quicker to analyse
Easy to categorise

Are you sure cuz that wasn't what the mark scheme said and I'm just confused as that is what my textbook said but in the 2013 ms it was a faster way to collect lots of data
Ahhh. The 3rd standard deviation means 3 standard deviations away from the mean (on both sides of the mean).

So it is: 85+2.5*3=92.5
and:85-2.5*3=77.5
Are you sure cuz that wasn't what the mark scheme said and I'm just confused as that is what my textbook said but in the 2013 ms it was a faster way to collect lots of data

It should be multiple choice.
Original post by stoyfan
Ahhh. The 3rd standard deviation means 3 standard deviations away from the mean (on both sides of the mean).

So it is: 85+2.5*3=92.5
and:85-2.5*3=77.5

I get what your saying but where does the 3 come from ?! It's not in the question

Which exam board do you do ?
Original post by stoyfan
It should be multiple choice.

Yh but quicker to analyse or easy to analyse want there so......
It isn't but it should be a reference point to where the pattern of the bell shape should end and start (flatten out). My teacher said that they would be precisely seeing if your graph is correct, but they will see if the graph flattens our at the correct point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending