The Student Room Group

What hopes and concerns do you have for how the UK will change?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
By applying to a British university, I bet on my university maintaining and expanding its prestige. I am VERY nervous about the future prestige of my degree.
Original post by andrewUK
Why would there be less demand? 90,000 young people don't have a home.2 million families are on the waiting list.
How is removing 300,000 immigrants and bringing back 500,000 pensioners (the other 1.3 million pensioners have homes abroad) into the UK going to solve this going to solve this?

And if you read the article "Several experts have predicted that the economic shock of leaving the EU would cause unemployment to rise in the UK. That would reduce the pressure for wage growth. The Treasury estimated that wages will be between 2.8% and 4% lower at the point of maximum impact, with a typical worker at least £780 a year worse off."

Well those 500k pensioners aren't going to be expelled from their current place of residence :facepalm:

So when you look at the real figures, not the absurd fear-mongering figures you're using, there will be a net reduction in the demand for housing.

As for the jobs, those figures do not take into account openings created by EU migration stopping. Considering the unemployment figure the report uses is between 500-800k, that is covered within a few years by a drop in immigration, but more importantly, the figure is absolute horse **** because it's based on GDP, something which has been useless at measuring employment for years.
(edited 7 years ago)
We are going to want to join the single market. Therefore we would have to pay EU membership and there will be freedom of movement.

As for EU laws. It will take us many years to choose (of every single one) whether we keep it or not.
’ve made a petition will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/146588/sponsors/JcHmmRJjPGXFd6IGBc

My petition:

'individual' EU membership for UK citizens Visa free, work and study.

There is a need for people, especially the young, to be able to move freely for travel and broaden their horizons, education, employment.

The recent referendum was a protest about the country not providing the infrastructure and services for it's people before opening the doors to others. The referendum was advisory and not legally binding, and no one, not even the leave party expected the outcome. Individual membership will provide an imcome to the EU, allow free movement without additional paperwork and checks. It is not for large groups to abuse a country's system, but to build friendships and bridges. References available
Very interesting article by Matthew Holehouse in the Telegraph this evening.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...n-like-greece/

He says "doing a Norway" is off the table already as Juncker is determined not to allow it.

Predicts the UK faces an increase of 800,000 in unemployment and a crash of 6% in GDP.

British graduate unemployment will surge as the EU jobs market gets shut to them and points system on immigration causes chaos in UK employers.
Hoping for the complete abolishment of hate speech laws, although that probably won't happen.
Reply 46
Original post by geoking
Well those 500k pensioners aren't going to be expelled from their current place of residence :facepalm:

So when you look at the real figures, not the absurd fear-mongering figures you're using, there will be a net reduction in the demand for housing.

As for the jobs, those figures do not take into account openings created by EU migration stopping. Considering the unemployment figure the report uses is between 500-800k, that is covered within a few years by a drop in immigration, but more importantly, the figure is absolute horse **** because it's based on GDP, something which has been useless at measuring employment for years.

Many pensioners living in the EU will have to leave. Unless Britain chooses to maintain some freedom of movement. However in order to maintain freedom of movement Britain will have to reduce their control over immigration as Switzerland has. But given that immigration was the main reason many voted out it is unlikely Britain will choose choose to give up some of their control.

This means that British expats who don't own property will become illegal immigrants. This is because the 1969 Vienna Convention gives property owners 'acquired rights'. Dominic Grieve (look him up if you don't know him) has argued this many times.

The unemployment figures do take into account opening by EU migration stopping however this is outweighed by the fact that many businesses such as JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America who employ tens of thousands are moving their operations away from the UK. HSBC has already moved 1,000 jobs.
https://next.ft.com/content/a3a92744-3a52-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7
Reply 47
Original post by gro
We are going to be so much better! people are complaining that we left but those are the same people that complain the government isn't doing anything for us. It's VERY likely its because the EU ignores almost everything we propose! MOST countries in the world don't have a legislation like this - or the NHS. People are acting like its a right. Just goes to show how privileged we are. Its mainly teenagers copying what every other teenager thinks too. I'm very happy we left. I couldn't vote but we voted out. We decided to after thinking about it very hard.

This response is an excellent example of so many people do not understand the EU. Our parliament is sovereign. The EU does not restrict housing developments. We follow regulations, yes, but in the event of a conflict between an EU regulation and an existing law, our Parliament has the right to choose which to follow. Many people underestimate our control in the EU. We were, alongside France and Germany, considered to be part of "The Big 3" of the most powerful and influential nations. We were on the winning side of the vast majority 90%+ of policies and laws enacted. There simply never was enough EU coverage in our mainstream media, not the EUs fault.

https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2016/06/16/watch-dishonesty-industrial-scale-eu-law-expert-analyses-referendum-debate/

If you wish to understand all the angry Remain voters you can watch this video. Perhaps then you may counter arguments informatively rather than on an impression given by journalistic slander. I don't expect many to do so, it's about 25 minutes long, but it's unbiased and informative. The professor has just as much of a career with Brexit than otherwise.
Reply 48
Original post by Callum27
USA has the biggest economy in the world at about $17 trillion GDP. China would want to trade with us because it can get them in to europe (not EU i know) and the UK is working very close with China as there prisident came to the UK to talk with Cameron last year. They wont pick us over the USA they will pick us as they see were in help and they will benefit from trading with the UK to tighten the relasionship with with us and there economy is slowing down so they may see us as a place to go. Also why the US should trade with us. Its in the US best intrest to keep us as a strong economic friend which will benifit them and us. They are working on a US - EU trade deal and have now said they want to trade with us after we officaly leave (when ever that may be) but all that back of the que rubbish has now gone out the window now brexit is coming true. I dont see why China or the US will turn down a trade deal. And remember Obama and Cameron will not be in power much longer. The UK shall have a new prime minister and the US shall have a new leader as well. I think this is a new era of the UK which will be more better than we have seen under EU control

I'm not denying we worked very closely, but was that not just because last year we were also in the EU...now we're not so will they still want such a deal with the UK. China's economy may be sowing, but it still has an annual growth of 6% compares to the UK's at about 2%...admitted the USA also has similar growth to us, but with a much larger economy with almost the same trading products, which again I wonder why they would go for the UK of we're not in the EU when there are better standing countries to trade with. They can't get a lot from us, they may not turn down a deal but it won't be great enough to support our country, but surely one with a country in the EU would have been more successful for them and therefore created a better deal.

The USA trade deal was around the EU, not UK on it's own. I do believe they will still want to trade with the UK, but will it be enough and at a better deal than being within the EU could've created, not really, we now are no different- it'll be 2 countries trading goods and services which are basically the same as each other.

The UK and USA will both be under new leadership agreed, will this drastically change the situation around the doubt of our ability to trade effectively for what our country needs...i don't think so. I think it is a new era, but personally I'm not too optimistic about it being better that under EU 'control' (I'd choose a different word to 'control' personally, we still had some power and were not 'controlled' by the EU, just influenced in some things i.e. 13% of our laws and that's about it).

btw- again i'm not trying to offend, just some of my views which no-one really seemed to think of so I'm pleased someone with an opposing view is listening and thinking about too :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by Foo.mp3
Someone needs to have a word in the ear of Guardian columnists and point out difference between pre-plebiscite hype/post-electoral hysteria

What they're doing is harmful to the unity/prosperity of the nation. They should grow up, accept outcome, and consider acting in national interest

Original post by Foo.mp3
By engaging in hysteria it irrefutably is contributing to tensions

The Guardian, really?!

But no, it's totally the Guardian that's doing the damage isn't it :facepalm:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
dom of Speech is a right I would defend to the death, but with rights come responsibilities

That's rich, coming from you.

The Brexit campaign was full of mis-information. And you had a whole thread loaded with utter tripe.

We are already seeing how the UK is changing. There have been a rise in racially motivated attacks. The economy took a hit and there have already been job losses. It also looks like the UK will break apart.

Things could get better - it depends on the deal the EU offers us. However, for us to be doing as well as we were, then we'd have to make concessions. It'll mean that while we are outside of the EU, the things that mattered most to Brexit supporters will not change. Things like free movement, accepting EU laws, paying into the club.

Basically, we have divided the nation for absolutely no gain.
Original post by andrewUK
Many pensioners living in the EU will have to leave. Unless Britain chooses to maintain some freedom of movement. However in order to maintain freedom of movement Britain will have to reduce their control over immigration as Switzerland has. But given that immigration was the main reason many voted out it is unlikely Britain will choose choose to give up some of their control.

This means that British expats who don't own property will become illegal immigrants. This is because the 1969 Vienna Convention gives property owners 'acquired rights'. Dominic Grieve (look him up if you don't know him) has argued this many times.

The unemployment figures do take into account opening by EU migration stopping however this is outweighed by the fact that many businesses such as JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America who employ tens of thousands are moving their operations away from the UK. HSBC has already moved 1,000 jobs.
https://next.ft.com/content/a3a92744-3a52-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7

As you're so certain on the future, care to give me the next few weeks worth of lottery numbers? :facepalm: You have literally no knowledge as to whether expats living in EU countries will have to leave or not as you don't know what will be agreed. I doubt EU countries will want property prices to crash in many of their cities and towns.

I couldn't find anywhere in that report where it mentioned the opening of jobs. Plus as I said, the figures are based on GDP, which makes the entire report practically useless as GDP is not linked to the amount of jobs there are.
After got to know another backgrounds in Brexit, I am afraid that this could lead toa struggle in whole Europe:

Scotland is against leaving EU in contrast to another countries of the UK, that is why Scotland thinks about the option for another referendum to leave the UK. That is what Northern Ireland and Wales couldn't do. Catalonia, which has tried being independ on Spain in the past, as well. If Scotland gets a new Chance by the EU and Scotland leave the UK just to be a part of the EU, that would lead to havoc in whole Europe.
Reply 53
Original post by stoyfan
We are going to want to join the single market. Therefore we would have to pay EU membership and there will be freedom of movement.

As for EU laws. It will take us many years to choose (of every single one) whether we keep it or not.

If we stay in the single marker we will still have to be under EU law. I think Mr Junker is right out is out and if we go in to the single market i fell there was no point voting to Leave
Nylon trousers and Brylcreem™ will be back with a vengeance. Spot the Ball and public executions will regain their popularity.
Looking forward to the news, tomorrow. We all need some much needed clarity. I was team remain, but the sooner we start fixing the problems we've caused, the better.
I also feel like NI will resist leaving. Our First Minister is a member of the DUP (they wanted us to 'Leave') BUT, if we were to leave, then there will be a lot of pressure for a border poll/referendum on a United Ireland- something they do not want. Most of our other parties were for remain, so they won't willingly sign off to leave the EU, either.

I'm not sure of the legalities, but NI might well resist just as much as Scotland. That could be very interesting.
1. I want dress down days to have a compulsory dress code of union jack speedos
2. I expect we can be proper British and smoke and drink beer at our desk
3. I want us all driving proper British cars like Fords instead of BMWs

These are my expectations for now, nothing less will suffice
Original post by Betelgeuse-
1. I want dress down days to have a compulsory dress code of union jack speedos
2. I expect we can be proper British and smoke and drink beer at our desk
3. I want us all driving proper British cars like Fords instead of BMWs

These are my expectations for now, nothing less will suffice

And it can only be a proper British beer like Stella.
Original post by JamesN88
And it can only be a proper British beer like Stella.

Stella is Belgium you fooooll.. Proper British "Becks" and such is what we need

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending