The Student Room Group

Gender Equality

For part of my extra-curricular project I'm required to give a speech about something that matters to me. I've chosen Gender Equality. The world we live in and the paths we chose are hugely affected by those around us, in positive and negative ways. I am reaching out to hear everybody's opinion on this, we need to speak up about this and abolish the stereotypes regarding Gender and sexuality.

Feel free to discuss this and if possible, I would also like to be able too add some quotes to this speech too, as long as you don't mind.
(edited 7 years ago)
Massively important area, obviously. I don't think you can talk about this without talking about how people think the Western world now has equality because other nations have more severe and constitutional inequality, and talk about why that's problematic.
You may also want to talk about why the entire concept of gender is problematic/useful. Some people like having a way of describing themselves. But consider: how many transGENDER people would you have, growing up feeling like they're wrong and and misfit and can't be happy with themselves because they're a boy who wants to act like a girl, or vice versa, if we abolished gender and gender stereotypes? (Transsexuality is of course an entirely different matter that this argument isn't relevant to). Is gender a useful tool, or should we just bring everyone up to be agender, gender neutral, and just PEOPLE with a biological sex which has very few implications on their life in general?
Reply 2
I think it would be a good idea to bring up a wide range of types/'levels' of inequality ranging from 'minor' everyday sexism to the extreme where women aren't allowed to travel alone e.t.c Also, this might be a good quote to include

'Society finds it easier to accept and understand a “tough” girl rather than an “emotional” boy, because being masculine is something to strive for and being feminine isn’t.' or
“He was drunk, it wasn’t his fault.”“It was her fault, she was drunk.”
Reply 3
Original post by songsaboutghost
Massively important area, obviously. I don't think you can talk about this without talking about how people think the Western world now has equality because other nations have more severe and constitutional inequality, and talk about why that's problematic.
You may also want to talk about why the entire concept of gender is problematic/useful. Some people like having a way of describing themselves. But consider: how many transGENDER people would you have, growing up feeling like they're wrong and and misfit and can't be happy with themselves because they're a boy who wants to act like a girl, or vice versa, if we abolished gender and gender stereotypes? (Transsexuality is of course an entirely different matter that this argument isn't relevant to). Is gender a useful tool, or should we just bring everyone up to be agender, gender neutral, and just PEOPLE with a biological sex which has very few implications on their life in general?

Original post by goam
I think it would be a good idea to bring up a wide range of types/'levels' of inequality ranging from 'minor' everyday sexism to the extreme where women aren't allowed to travel alone e.t.c Also, this might be a good quote to include

'Society finds it easier to accept and understand a “tough” girl rather than an “emotional” boy, because being masculine is something to strive for and being feminine isn’t.' or
“He was drunk, it wasn’t his fault.”“It was her fault, she was drunk.”

Thank you, this has helped a lot.
This is also relevant to what I'm doing! Thank you for this thread, I'm dreading this speaking :frown:
Original post by Elizzey
For part of my extra-curricular project I'm required to give a speech about something that matters to me. I've chosen Gender Equality. The world we live in and the paths we chose are hugely affected by those around us, in positive and negative ways. I am reaching out to hear everybody's opinion on this, we need to speak up about this and abolish the stereotypes regarding Gender and sexuality.

Feel free to discuss this and if possible, I would also like to be able too add some quotes to this speech too, as long as you don't mind.

You know what? Here's a speech for you right here:

What is gender? Its's whether you're a guy or a girl. Obviously. However, this is massively oversimplified. What very few people understand is that technically, there is no specific gender to speak of. We may be born with different body parts that function differently, but that doesn't mean we need to put a label on them. Not only that, just because we have these parts, also does not mean that they are suited for us. We can't control what parts we are born with, nor can we control if we feel right with having them. We can, however, thanks to modern medicine, alter the status quo, and adopt a new identity for ourselves, should we aspire to. You don't have to remain confined to this label that you are branded with. You shouldn't let others designate you as one so-called gender or the other, and vice-versa. We are all human beings. Is there really any need to further subdivide all living beings into these essentially pointless columns? In the end, we are one. We are united, and united we must remain. These 'gender boundaries' need to be a thing of the past. Let's make that a reality, and let's understand equality in the focus. Be bold. Be equal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending