The Student Room Group

Entering dentisty with poor GCSE's grades

Last year I finished my gcse's and unfortunately didn't achieve the grades I was predicted of A grades, I mostly came out with C's in every subject including my sciences. I have always wanted to go into medicine or dentistry and planned I would be able to until I received my grades. I know its a very competitive and difficult course to get accepted to, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do, or if I could take another course and then enter dentist as a post graduate..I have already done around 4 weeks of work experience in a few different dentist surgeries.
Thankyou:smile:
All med/dental schools want a minimum of As and Bs in maths, english and science.

I think your best bet would to apply for postgrad med/dentistry. (You could resit the necessary GCSEs to get the grades for undergrad dentistry/med however, I wouldn't advise this, so postgrad is the best option for you in my honest opinion!)

Hope that helped.
Reply 2
Original post by alice1145
Last year I finished my gcse's and unfortunately didn't achieve the grades I was predicted of A grades, I mostly came out with C's in every subject including my sciences. I have always wanted to go into medicine or dentistry and planned I would be able to until I received my grades. I know its a very competitive and difficult course to get accepted to, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do, or if I could take another course and then enter dentist as a post graduate..I have already done around 4 weeks of work experience in a few different dentist surgeries.
Thankyou:smile:

Do you know what you're on track for, in your science A-Levels? If you're predicted high grades then I would consider resitting your GCSE's, and just doing an intense amount of work experience and trying to use those two things to demonstrate the commitment you have toward the course.

If you're not predicted highly for A-Level, or you feel you struggled with or do not want to retake GCSE's, the I would consider a BioMed degree, perhaps with a medicine/dentistry convertion at the end. Or even a dental nursing diploma and move from there.
Have you considered applying to Plymouth, Dundee or Leeds, these are the entry requirements for those uni's:
Plymouth:You are required to achieve seven GCSE passes, at grades A-C which must include English language, mathematics, and either GCSE single and additional science or GCSE biology and chemistry.
Dundee:
English Language (at C or 3)and a third science subject(at B or 2) not offered at A level or SQA Higher.

Leeds:
GCSE English and Mathematics at grade C or above

I would also email them, confirming these entry requirements and also ask if the grades you have achieved meets their criteria.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest