The Student Room Group

Handing out CV's - WORTH IT?

Hi guys, I've been applying online for jobs for around 2 months now and I've only got back with 2 interviews, sometimes I don't even get a reply.. I'm really struggling to find a job, I'm 17 with very little work experience. Is it worth it nowadays to print out your CV and hand it around in shops that are looking? I'm asking this because most job applications are now done online.
Original post by shafim61

It's about the least effective method, which doesn't mean it never turns up an opportunity, but....

Better would be to spend half a day going round town asking at shops/cafes etc if they might have an opportunity, and then going home and spending the next few days making tailored applications to the specific shops that said yes they might have something. That shows initiative, planning, makes a double contact and means your application will be a lot stronger, because it is specific to the employer.
Reply 2
It is quite a waste of time. The stores I've worked in, CVs just get lost in a pile of paperwork or recycled. Apply directly online or ask for application forms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends if its a indepdnant store or a branch from franchise! The latter being more of a waste of time tbh!
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies! I went out on Friday to send out my CV. I only handed it into the stores that stated they were taking in CVs. I managed to send out 6 out of the 20 CVs i printed off directly to the managers lol

Hopefully i will get a reply back soon
Hi guys, I've been applying online for jobs for around 2 months now and I've only got back with 2 interviews, sometimes I don't even get a reply.. I'm really struggling to find a job, I'm 17 with very little work experience. Is it worth it nowadays to print out your CV and hand it around in shops that are looking? I'm asking this because most job applications are now done online.

It all really depends where you'll go to hand the CVs in as usually 9 out of 10 times, your cv gets binned or completely forgotten about.

If a place says they usually recruit online but they can still take your Cv in, I'd say don't bother. You'll end up never getting a response. Only ever really hand in cvs if they ask for you to supply it (usual restaurants or corner shops like co-op).

I would highly recommend you look for work experience as that is much easier to find. It will also provide you with a work experience history putting you at an advantage when applying for job in the future. A lot of the times the place you have your work experience at, will offer you an actual paid job if you perform well enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by katherine9609
It all really depends where you'll go to hand the CVs in as usually 9 out of 10 times, your cv gets binned or completely forgotten about.

If a place says they usually recruit online but they can still take your Cv in, I'd say don't bother. You'll end up never getting a response. Only ever really hand in cvs if they ask for you to supply it (usual restaurants or corner shops like co-op).

I would highly recommend you look for work experience as that is much easier to find. It will also provide you with a work experience history putting you at an advantage when applying for job in the future. A lot of the times the place you have your work experience at, will offer you an actual paid job if you perform well enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply! Which kind of companies/shops would give me work experience? Do you mean like charity shops etc. Also, ive been looking into office temp jobs or signing up to recruitment agencies? Is that worth it?
Nope, it's futile.

No offence btw - just save yourself time and effort.

Everywhere I have worked the CVs have been thrown out. You usually have to apply online, which is where I would energise and focus my efforts if I was you.

Good luck, you'll be fine.
Hand them in, also apply online, also ask directly if they're hiring, also ask mates, staff at school for references, look for new places opening, do whatever you can. You're 17 this is a perfect time to get whatever work you can before you're "too old" and overqualified on top with your education but no experience still. As you're 17 it's not as degrading to look for work how ya can. I've also heard ppl apply online and get nothing. But there are people who apply online and do get heard back. The reason those shops bin applications sometimes is because they've got their workers lined up or a lot of the times whoever leaves suggests someone they know to be the next employee tbh. It shouldn't be that way but. Do what you can.

Thanks for your reply! Which kind of companies/shops would give me work experience? Do you mean like charity shops etc. Also, ive been looking into office temp jobs or signing up to recruitment agencies? Is that worth it?

I was just gonna advise that tbh. They constantly need people and normally quickly, and it's entry level. There should be loads. That's what I'm doing and I'm not too worried honestly.
Reply 9
Original post by 0to100
Hand them in, also apply online, also ask directly if they're hiring, also ask mates, staff at school for references, look for new places opening, do whatever you can. You're 17 this is a perfect time to get whatever work you can before you're "too old" and overqualified on top with your education but no experience still. As you're 17 it's not as degrading to look for work how ya can. I've also heard ppl apply online and get nothing. But there are people who apply online and do get heard back. The reason those shops bin applications sometimes is because they've got their workers lined up or a lot of the times whoever leaves suggests someone they know to be the next employee tbh. It shouldn't be that way but. Do what you can.

I was just gonna advise that tbh. They constantly need people and normally quickly, and it's entry level. There should be loads. That's what I'm doing and I'm not too worried honestly.

Thanks very much! I will look more into office temp jobs then, I need quick cash rn but generally yeah, I am quite motivated to work and I've done everything you have mentioned. Hopefully, it will pay off soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending