The Student Room Group

Who will be the next PM?

Some clown on the BBC said that the next Pm should come from the leave side. Obviously that leaves only Boris. But in a recent speech following Brexit, he said that he comes from Turkish immigrants and is actually pro immigration. So, obviously this won't go down well with all those who voted leave.

The only other alternative is Theresa May, another Tory. We don't really know much about her opinions, but she is the bookies favourite alongside Boris.

I'm not sure who the hell to vote for. Oh, and that slimy snake Osbourne can piss off out of it! I expect a lot of people to hate him and his budget cuts...
Reply 1
Original post by Tool Box
Some clown on the BBC said that the next Pm should come from the leave side. Obviously that leaves only Boris. But in a recent speech following Brexit, he said that he comes from Turkish immigrants and is actually pro immigration. So, obviously this won't go down well with all those who voted leave.

The only other alternative is Theresa May, another Tory. We don't really know much about her opinions, but she is the bookies favourite alongside Boris.

I'm not sure who the hell to vote for. Oh, and that slimy snake Osbourne can piss off out of it! I expect a lot of people to hate him and his budget cuts...

No it doesn't, there were many prominent Conservative MPs who were on the leave side. Boris was most prominent, but there's Gove, IDS, Fox, numerous others...

All they need is the support of two other MPs and they're on the shortlist. If there are more than 2 MPs on the shortlist, all Conservative MPs will whittle them down until there are 2 nominees, at which point the party membership (about 150,000 people) will select their leader. Unless you're one of them, you won't vote at all.

But obviously the only alternatives are Tories. Why point that out as if it's unexpected? The Tories are in the majority, their party leader is, by default, the PM. That's how it works.

I think people have gotten obsessed with US style elections... we don't vote for PM. That's not how our system works. If you think it is then you need take more time and learn about the process.
(edited 7 years ago)
If Johnson is not able to become leader, I actually find myself in a position I never expected, I would support Priti Patel, she supports the death penalty and was a Brexit minister, good enough for me.
Probably someone nobody has really heard of. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
The next PM will have to have the guts to trigger article 50 , and will Boris have the guts to do this? I don't think so
Reply 5
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Probably someone nobody has really heard of. :s-smilie:

Unless you don't pay attention to politics that's pretty unlikely. They know they're picking a PM, rather than merely a new leader who can put themselves in the reckoning for being PM, so they'll pick someone with standing.
Reply 6
Original post by Jee1
The next PM will have to have the guts to trigger article 50 , and will Boris have the guts to do this? I don't think so

Here we stand or here we fall
History won't care at all
Make the bed, light the light
Lady Mercy won't be home tonight.

You don't waste no time at all
Don't hear the bell but you answer the call
It comes to you as to us all
We're just waiting for the trigger to pull
Reply 7
Hopefully Boris.
Original post by Drewski
Unless you don't pay attention to politics that's pretty unlikely. They know they're picking a PM, rather than merely a new leader who can put themselves in the reckoning for being PM, so they'll pick someone with standing.

True true, I do know ( most of ) the people they think will succeed DC but remember Jeremy Corbyn getting in as Labour leader, I didn't know who he was until he went for the job, many didn't who weren't journalists etc. :colonhash:
I feel like Theresa May would be best for the job but Boris is more popular with the people so not sure and who knows who will go for the leadership? It's all fairly unpredictable, really.
Reply 9
Original post by Shadow Hunters
True true, I do know ( most of ) the people they think will succeed DC but remember Jeremy Corbyn getting in as Labour leader, I didn't know who he was until he went for the job, many didn't who weren't journalists etc. :colonhash:
I feel like Theresa May would be best for the job but Boris is more popular with the people so not sure and who knows who will go for the leadership? It's all fairly unpredictable, really.

Yeah, that was a one off - there won't be an equivalent from the Conservatives. It will be a known figure. Probably between Boris and May.
jacob rees mogg would be an amazing leader

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending