The Student Room Group

How would you react if parliament blocked EU exit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by similarBlank

nah ukip is pointless now they'll all defect into the tory party within no time
Original post by george_c00per
nah ukip is pointless now they'll all defect into the tory party within no time

Do I really have to spell it out?

UKIP is the insurance of the Brexiteers. If Brexit was blocked UKIP would sky-rocket.

Also, not all of UKIP are Tories. It may be difficult for left-wing students to understand, but Labour has been equally, perhaps more, damaged by UKIP than the Conservative Party.
Original post by Josb
No, because nobody would be mad enough to call a referendum as Cameron did. "Leave" would win by greater margins than in the UK.

European leaders (well, Angela Merkel) now want(s) nothing to change and will do everything to preserve the statu quo within the EU.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-europe-macron-idUKKCN0ZB0H1
Original post by DJBay123
The Lib Dems and some other MP's have already stated that they will try to block it.
If they are, somehow, successful, how would you react?

Honestly I dunno, probably protest for their resignations/arrests.

As for the rest of the Leave support, honestly the thought makes me quite angry, so if chaos kicks off and there's rioting and worse, that's totally on those MP's for trying to block the democratic will of the country.

FYI also I'm a LibDem voter so if the party wants to lose what little support it has left go ahead, because if they do that then they have no right to call themselves democrats.

I'll name them for what they are. Fascists.
Reply 104

Macron is just the Economy minister, not the president, and will have to leave after the next elections, which will be lost by his party.
The Lib Dems and some other MP's have already stated that they will try to block it.

With glee, I live in Hackney, we voted to remain by 78% to 22%, if the 2 Hackney MPs ignored the clear will of their constituents then they are not fit to serve us. Simple as that.
Reply 106
Original post by similarBlank

:lol:
Reply 107
Not going to happen full stop as EU president Junker said "OUT MEANS OUT"

Although I personally do believe that England are stronger and better off overall remaining inside the EU, I think it would be a contradictory action to carry out a democratic vote, to just overrule it. Not to mention the fact the government spent £9m in order to send leaflets to homes across the United Kingdom expressing the significance of the vote and their standpoint on it. At this current point in time, the petition created has amassed a significant 3.4 million votes and without doubt needs to be addressed thoroughly, although I stand with my opinion it would be a slap to the face of democracy and the purpose behind it.
Original post by Josb
Macron is just the Economy minister, not the president, and will have to leave after the next elections, which will be lost by his party.

So what? Farage is not even an MP and he's done more to put pressure on Cameron to have the ref than all of the Eurosceptics combined.

If the SP loses the next election (which it very likely will), it will lose it to a more Eurosceptic political formation. In fact, that's why it will lose it - because of Hollande's strong Europeanism and the French public's increasing Euroscepticism. So I don't see how that helps your case at all. The new gov. would be far more likely to cave in.

Also, more than half of the Dutch support an EU ref. Not seen what Austrians and Hungarians think who were, unlike the imagined problems of the Brits, actually hurt by EU refugee policy.

That is even before actually witnessing the effects of a Brexit (as it hasn't happened yet). The milder the effects, the more likely other EU countries will want to follow UK's example.
(edited 7 years ago)
The majority of public voted leave. It should NOT be changed.
Reply 111
Original post by Sisuphos
So what? Farage is not even an MP and he's done more to put pressure on Cameron to have the ref than all of the Eurosceptics combined.

If the SP loses the next election (which it very likely will), it will lose it to a more Eurosceptic political formation. In fact, that's why it will lose it - because of Hollande's strong Europeanism and the French public's increasing Euroscepticism. So I don't see how that helps your case at all. The new gov. would be far more likely to cave in.

The next French president will be centre-right and pro-Europe. He will never call a referendum on the EU.
Original post by george_c00per
Here come the Leave campaigners shouting "FFS IT'S DEMOCRACY WE VOTED 2 LEAVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!1!!1! " ....

What world do we live in where this is suppose to insult the leave campaigners....
Original post by 2016_GCSE
The majority of public voted leave. It should NOT be changed.

There was no majority when it came to the percentage & actual number of leave or remain voters
Reply 114
Original post by katherine9609
There was no majority when it came to the percentage & actual number of leave or remain voters

Doesn't need to be.
Original post by Scott.
Doesn't need to be.

Never said there didn't need to be a majority lol. Just stating a fact

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katherine9609

Well if that's the case then how did Leave win?

There was a 1 million people difference between Leavers and Stayers.

That is a large difference.
Not a good idea. It'd be best for us, but I think we need a Brexit at this point.

If we stay in, these people will become more and more convinced that they're being oppressed by the EU elite, and that immigrants are taking all their jobs, and that the EU is the source of all their problems. The far right will keep infecting the world, and the EU will eventually break up anyway once similar movements in France and the Netherlands gain traction.

We need to let this happen to make an example of ourselves. The rest of the world will realise that maybe it's not such a good idea, and the Brexiters will have nobody left to blame but themselves.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Well if that's the case then how did Leave win?

There was a 1 million people difference between Leavers and Stayers.

That is a large difference.

I'll use an example here to explain how: some electoral victories are won by minority creating a minority government (eg. Labour in 1974). Majority isn't actually needed for one side to win. Leave won by minority

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jee1
Not going to happen full stop as EU president Junker said "OUT MEANS OUT"

But there is the suggestion that it will be Juncker who is out. Some EU members are saying this is all Juncker's fault.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending