The Student Room Group

should i go to a grammar school for sixth form?

If you can, YES
Reply 2
Original post by Marshall Taylor
If you can, YES

why?
It depends. Both schools I've applied to for sixth form are grammar schools. But I think you should do some research on the school itself rather than what type of school it is. There are some good grammar schools and some not so good ones.
Original post by emma135

I am going to a grammar school for sixth form, because it is highly beneficial to do so because of the most likely high standard of education that you will receive as a result. If you have the chance to do so, I'd do it.
However, one problem for me at least will be social things like making friends and all, but I doubt this would be the case with you depending on what type of person you are.
Original post by emma135

Please don't. If you haven't been to a grammar school from Year 7, then no. Don't go ruining their high standards!
Reply 6
I've been accepted into one, but I'm not going. It's your choice, really, depends on what type of person you are.
Original post by emma135
why?

Grammar schools are more competitive as you have to be smart enough to get in. This means you're likely to find yourself more challenged by your classmates, which is good for learning. To add to that, it's free, so why not?
It's entirely up to you. If you want to - go for it. If it's easy and convenient for you.

I've been in a Grammar school from Year 7 and it's been good overall as an experience. I've applied for their Sixth Form and I should be able to get in.

Like one of the people said above, do research on the school to see if its received a good reputation and perhaps a high OFSTED rating.
is a grammar school better or a top, well renowned college?
I went to one. You quickly realise it's no different to a decent college. How you perform is dependent largely on how hard you work so it doesn't really matter if you go to a grammar school, decent state school, decent college, etc... (with decent I mean they have alright teachers).

With mine, we had very little freedom. They were quite strict. It depends on whether or not you like that kind of environment. For me and most of the people I know, it was quite annoying.
Original post by emma135
why?

High free level of education based on examination merit, instead of how much money your parents invest into you.
I wouldn't go. Believe me, if you went to a state school from Year 7 stick to somewhere with a similar environment. I absolutely hate the place I'm at right now (KECHB). If I had the chance, I would've chosen somewhere completely different. The quality of education isn't amazing. The students are great at grammar schools not the teachers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by emma135

I went to a grammar school and I loved it! It was not as competitive as you might think but the academic standards are higher, so you will probably find yourself working harder, but it shouldn't be very difficult for you since you were able to get in :smile:
If you really like the school then you should go! Don't consider the fact that it is a grammar school too much, just ask yourself whether you think it is a good school or not.

Quick Reply

Latest