The Student Room Group

Probation meeting/issues

Hi all, so I had my probation meeting on Friday a week late...

Anyway, so I was told I am not performing well, I leave the office early, I never sit on my desk, I am always away from my desk etc etc. This was all said by the director, by someone who is never in. So I have had two choices: 1) to leave or 2) or to extend my probation period by my a month which, I agreed.

The only concern I have is, I never do the above things, I would not write this otherwise. I have never left the office early and hardly move around the office. Me and my manager had a "catch up" however, whatever I said that day was all bought up. it was just a catch up right and not a meeting. Anyway, I no have weekly meeting starting from Friday. I do not want to leave as I enjoy what I am working on.

Any ideas?
Original post by djkilol

Anyway, so I was told I am not performing well, I leave the office early, I never sit on my desk, I am always away from my desk etc etc. This was all said by the director, by someone who is never in. So I have had two choices: 1) to leave or 2) or to extend my probation period by my a month which, I agreed.

The only concern I have is, I never do the above things, I would not write this otherwise. I have never left the office early and hardly move around the office. Me and my manager had a "catch up" however, whatever I said that day was all bought up. it was just a catch up right and not a meeting. Anyway, I no have weekly meeting starting from Friday. I do not want to leave as I enjoy what I am working on.

Any ideas?

Can you get your manager to vouch for you and say you aren't leaving early e.c.t to the director?
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Can you get your manager to vouch for you and say you aren't leaving early e.c.t to the director?

He doesn't really like me. I question his management skills. He waited 3 months to say all this, surely a normal manager would tell you straight away?
Keep a diary and a log. That way you na show.
1. what time you leave.
2. Reasons for being at or away from your desk.

Agree the tragets with your manager and notify the director off the back of what he said at the meeting.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Keep a diary and a log. That way you na show.
1. what time you leave.
2. Reasons for being at or away from your desk.

Agree the tragets with your manager and notify the director off the back of what he said at the meeting.

I was thinking this. Surely they must think I'm being cheeky?
Speak to your line manager. Phrase it as 'I enjoy my job and want to remain working here. I'm concerned about failing my probation period so could I have some further feedback as to what I need to change as I didn't feel the comments were an accurate reflection' and try and clarify. Maybe you don't think you're away from your desk much but the manager wants it limited to 3x a shift for example or has noticed that everytime you stand up you make some tea, chat a bit, go to the loo, chat a bit more etc and so take longer than you need. Maybe everyone else works until 5.15 and you have your coat on by 4.59. Perhaps the issue is you're simply not producing enough and so they're assuming you're doing these things.
Reply 6
Hi guys update regarding this....

I was meant to have Thursday and Friday off (last week) to go back to my mums. I spoke to the office manager regarding this on Monday and she said she will ask people... Anyway fast forward Wednesday I get all the work done and completed and went to to the office manager and said are u sure it is ok for me to leave, to which she replied yes. I didn't go in on Thursday (thinking I had it off) my manager rings and says who approved it, why are you off. I then decided to come into work the next day and I had a meeting with the office manager and my manager where I was accused of lying of not following the correct procedure on taking unpaid leave.

I have a formal meeting with the director and the office manager will act as a witness. I am so disappointed and feel like I am not being treated correctly. The office manager surely knows the rules and regulations of the company. Why couldn't she tell me the correct way of doing things. :frown:
Original post by djkilol

Any ideas?

Do you work for RBS by any chance?
Reply 8
Original post by jambojim97
Do you work for RBS by any chance?

lol nope!
Original post by djkilol
Hi guys update regarding this....

I was meant to have Thursday and Friday off (last week) to go back to my mums. I spoke to the office manager regarding this on Monday and she said she will ask people... Anyway fast forward Wednesday I get all the work done and completed and went to to the office manager and said are u sure it is ok for me to leave, to which she replied yes. I didn't go in on Thursday (thinking I had it off) my manager rings and says who approved it, why are you off. I then decided to come into work the next day and I had a meeting with the office manager and my manager where I was accused of lying of not following the correct procedure on taking unpaid leave.

I have a formal meeting with the director and the office manager will act as a witness. I am so disappointed and feel like I am not being treated correctly. The office manager surely knows the rules and regulations of the company. Why couldn't she tell me the correct way of doing things. :frown:

You were meant to have last Thursday and Friday off, bit for some reason you didnt take it ?

You asked if it was ok to leave for the day? How does that equate to you having the day off?

How does the office manager approve whether you come in or not isnt that the job of your manager? Even if he did approve isnt there some form and signature consent you need i.e paperwork?

Why didnt you think about the correct way of asking to book holiday? This should have veen on induction or in the office manual? I think its really your responsibility. Considering you are on probabtion youd have checked it with your manager?
Reply 10
Update: My contract has been terminated and I am now out of a job :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending