The Student Room Group

Gap year question about retakes and uni stances

So I am going to be taking a gap year, haven't applied for deferred entry. I planned to do better for A2 but that did not go well. I will be getting low grades like BCD. I want to ask, if you can apply to Universities saying that you want to retake a few exams to bring your grades up to A*AB standard or A*AA. Will they be okay with it or will they just reject me straight away. I did have extenuating circumstances so not sure about this.
Original post by Maths help pls
So I am going to be taking a gap year, haven't applied for deferred entry. I planned to do better for A2 but that did not go well. I will be getting low grades like BCD. I want to ask, if you can apply to Universities saying that you want to retake a few exams to bring your grades up to A*AB standard or A*AA. Will they be okay with it or will they just reject me straight away. I did have extenuating circumstances so not sure about this.

Once you have your actual A2 results its worth emailing admissons and asking, stressing your extenuating circumstances. It is possible that universities asking for A*AA aka the very top ones may not consider you but many of those asking for AAB downwards are more flexible over retakes.
Original post by jelly1000
Once you have your actual A2 results its worth emailing admissons and asking, stressing your extenuating circumstances. It is possible that universities asking for A*AA aka the very top ones may not consider you but many of those asking for AAB downwards are more flexible over retakes.

I think my UMS will be high but not enough to get As from the start. If I hadn't panicked, I could have made A*AB but with how exams went I am far from those grades. And I really do not want to do 2 gap years but now I might consider it. Thank you for the advice though!

Quick Reply