The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OriginaSid
I really do want to meet friends and go out but I know for a fact I am not going to be allowed. I'm not trusted and I'm flipping 18 years old. I can't just say 'I'm off to see so and so' I get the whole 6th degree first then I get a curfew to be back by 5pm. Like wtf?! My little brother gets to be out without any curfew or anything and I'm just there being treated like a 12 year old.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you're 18... as long as you're not putting yourself in harms way they can't keep you on lock down. Do what makes you happy.
Original post by Little Popcorns
you're 18... as long as you're not putting yourself in harms way they can't keep you on lock down. Do what makes you happy.

I know but the way they keep me in by guilt tripping me or just making me feel bad I just give up sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OriginaSid
I know but the way they keep me in by guilt tripping me or just making me feel bad I just give up sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They need to learn they can trust you. If they wrap you up in cotton wool when you go to uni or move out you will struggle even more, and possibly get yourself into danger because your not used to the freedom and it can send people wild.

In my first year of uni in my flat there was a girl a couple of years older than the rest, and shed never really had freedom and been aloud to drink and stuff. And in freshers she got so drunk she passed out in a club and was luckily found and brought back to our flat and we had to look after her. All because she went crazy due to being able to do what she wanted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
They need to learn they can trust you. If they wrap you up in cotton wool when you go to uni or move out you will struggle even more, and possibly get yourself into danger because your not used to the freedom and it can send people wild.

In my first year of uni in my flat there was a girl a couple of years older than the rest, and shed never really had freedom and been aloud to drink and stuff. And in freshers she got so drunk she passed out in a club and was luckily found and brought back to our flat and we had to look after her. All because she went crazy due to being able to do what she wanted

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not currently allowed to go to uni outside of my city. I'm counting on clearing to hopefully get me out of here I swear I'm going mad. A lot of my family have said that I need the freedom and along with friends, teachers and doctors saying that it's literally the cause of a lot of my problems but they still don't understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last night I woke up at 3am with what I thought was the most insightful and amazing thought I'd ever had. I realized that the "pop" in "pop culture" is short for "popular". I thought I was the most intelligent person in the world to have worked this out. I even wrote it down on my phone so I could tell my wife this morning.

Needless to say, she wasn't that impressed. :colondollar:
Original post by Sabertooth
Last night I woke up at 3am with what I thought was the most insightful and amazing thought I'd ever had. I realized that the "pop" in "pop culture" is short for "popular". I thought I was the most intelligent person in the world to have worked this out. I even wrote it down on my phone so I could tell my wife this morning.

Its ok i was at beanish museum the other day and suddenly worked out why a feather duster is called a feather duster. I felt so clever like it was completely new.

Everyone has moments like that so dont worry.

Another of my moments was realising i would need glasses when im older becauae my mum and step dad need glasses...
My step dad is of no biological relation to me :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Its ok i was at beanish museum the other day and suddenly worked out why a feather duster is called a feather duster. I felt so clever like it was completely new.

Everyone has moments like that so dont worry.

Another of my moments was realising i would need glasses when im older becauae my mum and step dad need glasses...
My step dad is of no biological relation to me :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha :biggrin: I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I do very strange things when I wake up at night. Not too long ago I thought I was 12 (????? :lolwut: ) and I also spoke to my spouse about my "life theory of poop" as well as telling her that in order to play my DS she'd need to put a game in. Of course, I thought I was basically Stephen Hawking with the level of intelligence I had. :tongue:
Haha :biggrin: I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I do very strange things when I wake up at night. Not too long ago I thought I was 12 (????? :lolwut: ) and I also spoke to my spouse about my "life theory of poop" as well as telling her that in order to play my DS she'd need to put a game in. Of course, I thought I was basically Stephen Hawking with the level of intelligence I had. :tongue:

Yeah brains can be super silly! So deffo dont feel your stupid or something because your far from it! I call it brain fart.
Even my mum gets it she was discussing how our tent wasnt like our house because the windows were in the wrong place...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you guys think that someone can be understanding and truly helpful if they haven't gone through some mental health issues themselves? I feel like I'm trying to get a thread through a needle hole when I'm trying to explain my struggles to someone who's never experienced mental illness? In fact I don't feel like anybody can truly understand me. My therapist understands me the most but they're the professional..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anxious Anon
Do you guys think that someone can be understanding and truly helpful if they haven't gone through some mental health issues themselves? I feel like I'm trying to get a thread through a needle hole when I'm trying to explain my struggles to someone who's never experienced mental illness? In fact I don't feel like anybody can truly understand me. My therapist understands me the most but they're the professional..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don'tthink so. I also think that even if you've gone through something, your situation is still going to be somehwta different.
So I just noticed that there was a bug like a tiny tiny worm on my laptop, it was kind of grey and very small, like half a cm long. I have no idea what it is and where it came from and I showed it to my family and they said, it's just a bug, and got rid of it. But I'm really worried about where it came from and what it is and if there are more of them.I'm absolutely terrified that the bug was on me or came from me and I feel so unclean right now at the idea that I might have been carrying bugs :afraid:Anon 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with Tiger Rag that even if the someone has been through the same sort of thing it'll still probably differ a lot.

That said, my wife does not understand at all. She has never had to deal with mental illness before she met me. She still has the attitude that I'm bringing things on myself and if I just tried hard enough things would be ok. :/
Feel miserable.
Hate it when he is around :/ urgh
also doesn't help that i have never felt lonelier so that is great, that is why i wont leave this thread and similar ones cos if i left them would just feel totally isolated :s-smilie:

~Anon 1
Start my new job tomorrow :eek: i know i can do the job easy but new people and new things! And LOTS of peopling like 5 hour shifts and stuff of CONSTANT peopling.

Also view my flat tomorrow! Blummin hope i like it! Dont know how much longer i can cope being here. My step dad drives me nuts.
Food stuff
when im here i binge more and hide food because my step dad ALWAYS judges what i eat so i find i literally hide food to get it upstairs so i can eat it secretly, where as in my own place i dont have that so never feel guilty about eating and i dont binge as much cos i eat what i want when i want not what i kinda want then binge what i actually want! Hate it so much :sadpanda:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:loveduck:

Original post by ScaryScience
Love you.

Love you too! :lovehug: Mahoosive huggles. Hows you misses? :smile: :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes of course they can. If somebody is willing to help, you have to be willing to accept. If you aren't willing to accept, then you may be in danger of pushing them away from you. Friends are there to support you, so let them support you

I didn't know that. :colondollar: :colondollar: :blushing: Ah well, you learn something new every day! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely can be understanding and helpful in my experience. :yep: I have really good friends who haven't had any MH issues but that are amazing and fantastic when I'm really ill, having a wobbly day or just need a chat. They explained it to me as that they don't know exactly what I'm going through, but they know that I'm hurting and they know what it's like to hurt. And they look at everything with openness and feel comfortable to ask me stuff about the illness/what's going on. :smile: I'm super lucky to have them as friends. :smile: :yep:

Don't know if any of that was legible or helpful at all, I'm not the best with words. :colondollar:
Original post by sherbet_lemons7
I didn't know that. :colondollar: :colondollar: :blushing: Ah well, you learn something new every day! :tongue:

Definitely can be understanding and helpful in my experience. :yep: I have really good friends who haven't had any MH issues but that are amazing and fantastic when I'm really ill, having a wobbly day or just need a chat. They explained it to me as that they don't know exactly what I'm going through, but they know that I'm hurting and they know what it's like to hurt. And they look at everything with openness and feel comfortable to ask me stuff about the illness/what's going on. :smile: I'm super lucky to have them as friends. :smile: :yep:

Don't know if any of that was legible or helpful at all, I'm not the best with words. :colondollar:

Couldn't have worded it better, they know what it's like to hurt.
Meh :sigh:
:cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2::cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2::cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

Latest