The Student Room Group

What can we do to stop Brexit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by generallee
This goes way beyond Clegg's ridiculous AV referendum.

The two main parties used to represent a real choice. And they were genuine mass movements.

Now there is little to choose between them in policy terms just as they get fewer and fewer votes. Cameron could have led New Labour and Blair the Tories.

The public want immigration controlled. They couldn't be clearer, and this referendum is another (dramatic) data point. None of the major parties have offered that since, well, since Powell was politically defenestrated in the sixties I suppose.

How exactly?

We still have the same parties, unless I checked they have not suddenly been replaced in the last few hours.

Ultimately a change in our voting system to make it far easier for newer parties to challenge the existing two and make it more than a two horse race is a bigger shift than deciding which of the big two sorts out the mess we've found ourselves in.

Incidentally, what was ridiculous about it? It was a perfectly valid voting system and vastly superior to first past the post.

I don't disagree that you could mistake Labour for Conservative if it weren't for the ties they wear at the moment and there is little real variation, but I fail to see how leaving EU does anything to change this.
Reply 81
Tbh I just want the EU to introduce crippling tariffs to UK service exports, that would absolutely cripple our economy. And the retards who voted to leave would be entirely responsible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by Kallisto
I meant that UK could not exist as a unit of British countries anylonger. That is not official yet. But if this goes on, it will in the future. Sooner or later.

No EU countries will exist soon it is becoming a super state
Reply 83
Original post by Nurne
Tbh I just want the EU to introduce crippling tariffs to UK service exports, that would absolutely cripple our economy. And the retards who voted to leave would be entirely responsible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Germany would be happy when we tank their economy with tariffs as well
Reply 84
Please Osbourne put your budget in place already. Remove the triple lock on pensions, Reduce tax credits and JSA. Don't wait until October.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by joecphillips
Germany would be happy when we tank their economy with tariffs as well

Only 7% of German exports go to the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by Nurne
Only 7% of German exports go to the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Enough to destroy their economy and they have the most power in the eu so they are unlikely want to restrict trade with us like we do not them.
Original post by Elivercury
How exactly?

We still have the same parties, unless I checked they have not suddenly been replaced in the last few hours.

Ultimately a change in our voting system to make it far easier for newer parties to challenge the existing two and make it more than a two horse race is a bigger shift than deciding which of the big two sorts out the mess we've found ourselves in.

Incidentally, what was ridiculous about it? It was a perfectly valid voting system and vastly superior to first past the post.

I don't disagree that you could mistake Labour for Conservative if it weren't for the ties they wear at the moment and there is little real variation, but I fail to see how leaving EU does anything to change this.

We have just taken the biggest step in a generation. Something that will change everything in this country for a century. Longer even. For better or worse.

Against the advice of both main parties. Both the Government and the Official Opposition tried to stop this with all their might.

If you can't already see how profound an impact this has on our polity, I won't bother to try and explain.
Original post by Nurne

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're an idiot lol. Grow up with that comment made out of pure spite hahahahaha.
Reply 89
Original post by Apocrypha
You're an idiot lol. Grow up with that comment made out of pure spite hahahahaha.

Yup, pure spite. I hate nationalism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by Elivercury
How exactly?

In the likely event of a snap GE it's perfectly possible for a new party to be established that stands specifically on a Remain manifesto. The leading Remain MPs may well decide to form or join such a thing. There's more Remain MPs than Leave... (even excluding SNP).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nurne
Yup, pure spite. I hate nationalism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww, poor you, I hope one day they make a country in the south Pacific where you can be happy as the UK seems to have made you an incredibly miserable person.
Original post by jneill
In the likely event of a snap GE it's perfectly possible for a new party to be established that stands specifically on a Remain manifesto. The leading Remain MPs may well decide to form or join such a thing. There's more Remain MPs than Leave... (even excluding SNP).

Posted from TSR Mobile

You think something like this is possible? You think remain MP's would join a new political party, giving up their current jobs, just to block us from leaving the EU?

You think these MP's will happily undermine the will of the people and campaign to block the referendum? A party like this will be seen as the opposite of UKIP, but still essentially a pressure group.

I think the Tories will win the next election, I dont think Labour have any chance whatsoever unfortunately, Corbyn clearly wanted to leave the EU given his horrible lackluster contribution to the remain campaign.
Well Brexit as a term refers to Britain exiting he EU. If you are asking how to stop this from occurring, it's quite simple! Either we destroy the EU so there is nothing to leave, or we destroy Britain so there is no 'we'. If the Scots leave, the term 'Britain' can no longer be used. Therefore, if the Scots leave, Britain cannot leave the EU as there will be no Britain! (This is a sarcastic reply by the way, and I understand this is a very difficult issue. Personally, I voted remain and quite frankly, there is nothing we can do now; if we petition for another referendum, it would just lead to an infinite regress with both sides being unhappy)
Reply 95
Original post by Apocrypha
Aww, poor you, I hope one day they make a country in the south Pacific where you can be happy as the UK seems to have made you an incredibly miserable person.

Meh just saying life in the UK is only going to get worse now you have left the EU. The least harmful option to the country's economy is joining the EEA. As now you have left the EU there won't be any special treatment. You will have the single market and free movement or no single market at all. Anyway whatever you do, life is going to get worse for the working class in this country. And you'll need your fantastical £350 million to save you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
No EU countries will exist soon it is becoming a super state

Super state? the EU? No, if this goes on in this way, EU melts into thin air.
We can't allow the old people and pub plebs to ruin everything for the young generation. Is there anything we can do to stop brexit?

This is the understatement of the century, but I haven't been here long, and already I see such idiocy. You are obviously from down south. Anyways, there's nothing we can do to stop Brexit, which I support. The decision's been made, and as long as the government follows through with it's promise, we should be out of the EU by roughly 2018. Sorry, my Eton mess-eating, top hat-wearing friend, but democracy prevails over aristocracy this time.
Nothing. France and German has made that impossible. They want the EU to themselves as their little empire and European fatherland. They are overwhelmed to see us go especially if it hurts us in doing so.

On the British side, many or perhaps most of the leavers could be placated if their concerns could actually be heard and addressed without people going on epic rants about racism while are the same time being pretty damned racist against the citizens of this country themselves. That doesn't mean accepting outrageous and childish demands such as sending all immigrants home or absolute pure idiotic notions but it does mean actually thinking for once rather than acting defensively based on conditioning. That should be the state of affairs either way but if we're shut out of the discussion back home by moral elitists there's little chance to make any gains here or there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Super state? the EU? No, if this goes on in this way, EU melts into thin air.

To be honest, some variety of superstate needs to happen for the EU to survive. You can't have currency unrelated to fiscal policy, it just doesn't work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending