The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infairverona
It does all sound really odd. Have you tried applying for any higher level jobs?

No, but that's because I don't think I could do them! Overqualified for low-level, not qualified enough for anything higher. Do you think that's a genuine place to be? Cuz I think that's where I am.
Original post by LannaBanana
No, but that's because I don't think I could do them! Overqualified for low-level, not qualified enough for anything higher. Do you think that's a genuine place to be? Cuz I think that's where I am.

Definitely. I felt that way for a long time in my first and second job but I needed the experience, whereas it sounds like you already have it. I think you should apply for some higher level jobs, you have nothing to lose. I would really play up your office experience in these applications because you want them to focus on that rather than the degree, but it will be a bonus that you've managed to gain experience while also getting a top degree. See how it goes with that. Such a shame for you though. Have you tried admin in the NHS because I'm sure they would have you!
Original post by infairverona
Definitely. I felt that way for a long time in my first and second job but I needed the experience, whereas it sounds like you already have it. I think you should apply for some higher level jobs, you have nothing to lose. I would really play up your office experience in these applications because you want them to focus on that rather than the degree, but it will be a bonus that you've managed to gain experience while also getting a top degree. See how it goes with that. Such a shame for you though. Have you tried admin in the NHS because I'm sure they would have you!

Well... like I know this goes against what I've posted about (really, I just wanted to post in the hopes that someone like me might be going through the same thing) but I actually applied for a job that I was NOT qualified for (content writing for a digital marketing firm), and have an interview for it on Wednesday. Like, they asked for a CV, a cover letter, and a writing sample, and I sent them a sample of my academic work and told the guy to get back to me if it wasn't what he was looking for, and he replied saying that while it was very good, he'd rather have a piece of work used in a commercial setting.

I didn't have any samples though, so I played up my inexperience by doing some research on content writing, and mocking up a piece of work that replicates it in the form of a glorified CV. It was titled "5 Reasons You Should Hire an Inexperienced Graduate (and Why that Graduate Should Be Me)".

So, yeah. I managed to blag my way to interview for a job that I've never done before, but no one wants me for basic admin positions apparently.
Well... like I know this goes against what I've posted about (really, I just wanted to post in the hopes that someone like me might be going through the same thing) but I actually applied for a job that I was NOT qualified for (content writing for a digital marketing firm), and have an interview for it on Wednesday. Like, they asked for a CV, a cover letter, and a writing sample, and I sent them a sample of my academic work and told the guy to get back to me if it wasn't what he was looking for, and he replied saying that while it was very good, he'd rather have a piece of work used in a commercial setting.

I didn't have any samples though, so I played up my inexperience by doing some research on content writing, and mocking up a piece of work that replicates it in the form of a glorified CV. It was titled "5 Reasons You Should Hire an Inexperienced Graduate (and Why that Graduate Should Be Me)".

So, yeah. I managed to blag my way to interview for a job that I've never done before, but no one wants me for basic admin positions apparently.

See that's the thing, why wouldn't you consider yourself qualified for that job? Maybe you haven't worked in digital marketing before but you have an English degree and office experience, with a bit of training you are definitely qualified for that job. Your piece of work sounds great and it's encouraging that it went down well, it sounds like somewhere more creative like that might be a better fit for you than a boring admin role anyway. Good luck with the interview!
Wow. This makes me wonder if I should go to university or not.
Of course the amount of temporary jobs you've had in the 9 years could well be a factor too.
Might make employers think you won't stay because you have had a lot of jobs (not saying that they're aren't reasons for it of course) of a short duration
Original post by Colinj451
Of course the amount of temporary jobs you've had in the 9 years could well be a factor too.
Might make employers think you won't stay because you have had a lot of jobs (not saying that they're aren't reasons for it of course) of a short duration

True! I did address it in the interview I had, and the interviewer said it was understandable if I was at uni and everything but yeah, I think it could be a factor definitely. Unfortunately it's one of those things... The more temp jobs you have, the more people only wanna hire you for temp jobs!
Original post by Grumpyteen
Wow. This makes me wonder if I should go to university or not.

Just wanna clear up that uni is the best thing I've done with my life and I'm NOT saying my degree is useless at all. I'm saying that for me, with the amount of varied work experience I've had... I think it combines to make employers think I don't wanna stick around for any length of time on a low level admin job.
Reply 28
Bare in mind that leaving your degree from your CV will
a) Leave you with a 3 year gap that employers will ask about and if you then reveal you were at uni they will ask why that wasn't on the cv/won't ask but will wonder why it wasn't on the cv and assume it was for a bad reason
b) Decrease your chances with employers who do look favourably at graduates = decrease your chances even further
Original post by qw233
Bare in mind that leaving your degree from your CV will
a) Leave you with a 3 year gap that employers will ask about and if you then reveal you were at uni they will ask why that wasn't on the cv/won't ask but will wonder why it wasn't on the cv and assume it was for a bad reason
b) Decrease your chances with employers who do look favourably at graduates = decrease your chances even further

Well, I worked when I was at uni, so there's only a gap of one year.
After 100 applications, I'd be willing to take that risk for a few to be honest. Obviously, if the application STATES 'educated to degree level' I wouldn't recommend leaving it off. If it states 'educated to HND level OR with two years relevant experience', I'd leave it off then. The work experience is enough. If I got to the interview stage, I would bring up my degree.
Reply 30
Well, I worked when I was at uni, so there's only a gap of one year.
After 100 applications, I'd be willing to take that risk for a few to be honest. Obviously, if the application STATES 'educated to degree level' I wouldn't recommend leaving it off. If it states 'educated to HND level OR with two years relevant experience', I'd leave it off then. The work experience is enough. If I got to the interview stage, I would bring up my degree.

Regardless of my first post I can understand why you tried it in the first place and quite frankly it's crazy that we live in a world where you have to hide your achievements that you worked hard to achieve in order to increase your chances for a job... bizarre.
Do you feel as if your degree was a waste of time and money?
*** I am in no way qualified to offer a response to this because I have not applied for a (proper) job once in my life or anything like that. I have simply read this whole thread***

By observation, it seems that the employers assume you're amassing a whole load of work experience so that you are ready to apply for a high level job where your 1st in English Literature will be even more of an asset. The places you have been applying to probably are trying to avoid getting a high labour turnover, as it seems you are going to leave them after being there for a relatively short while.

So in essence, your degree in conjunction with the work experience is the problem. Factoring out the degree from your application makes the amount of work experience you have had almost justifiable - you are looking for the job that will be ideal for you and will probably allow you to grow professionally (i.e promotion).

Then again, everyone who suggested your application that managed to get you 3 in 5 interviews (60% success rate) the second time around was just really bad.

Although I doubt the latter lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Do you feel as if your degree was a waste of time and money?

No, but I live in Scotland so I didn't pay tuition! I went to uni because the jobs I was working were boring. I also never felt pressure to go to uni as if it was my only option either though, and a lot of people on TSR seem to think that not going is some kind of failure or something. There are different reasons for going right? Mine was more personal than professional.
The OP is correct.

If you are applying for retail, office work (admin) or anything else at minimum wage, you stand a greater chance of being hired if you omit your degree.

The student room won't advocate this as the whole ethos of this website is to promote education. Threeportdrift is sadly mis-informed and may have graduated a while back when things were different.

There is a reason why people leave their PhD off applications. It is because they are over-qualified.
Reply 35
Original post by checkmabadself9
The OP is correct.

If you are applying for retail, office work (admin) or anything else at minimum wage, you stand a greater chance of being hired if you omit your degree.

The student room won't advocate this as the whole ethos of this website is to promote education. Threeportdrift is sadly mis-informed and may have graduated a while back when things were different.

There is a reason why people leave their PhD off applications. It is because they are over-qualified.

This is a 2+ year old thread, and now closed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending