The Student Room Group

Simple Flaw in EU Referendum Losers Petition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lanterne Rouge
People don't care whether it was £350 million or £250 million we're giving away to the EU. That isn't going to change anyone's vote. It is still far too much.

Btw, You're now conveniently forgetting the Remain lies, which were much worse, and greater in number. Where is Osborne's doomsday budget? And why hasn't anyone answered the original question?

That isn't going to change anyone's vote? What basis do you make that claim? I'm sorry but, people did vote due to that, I know a hell of a lot of people who did, infact, I almost did myself. People voted for that, that's really not up for debate.

The remain camp's lies aren't at all relevant to the fact that some leave voters regret how they voted, which was my original point.
Original post by WhisperingTide
That isn't going to change anyone's vote? What basis do you make that claim? I'm sorry but, people did vote due to that, I know a hell of a lot of people who did, infact, I almost did myself. People voted for that, that's really not up for debate.

The remain camp's lies aren't at all relevant to the fact that some leave voters regret how they voted, which was my original point.

a) Not many Leavers have changed their mind.
b) What I was trying to say was that if the Vote Leave campaign put the figure £200-250 million on all their buses and placards instead of £350 million, the result would be the same. To the normal person, those are both extremely high numbers which have the same effect.
This petition is irrelevant.

Over sixteen million people voted to Remain. If they all signed this petition what difference would it make? We already knew what they thought.

You guys lost and the country is free and self governing. Suck it up. Deal with it and quit the whining.

You are like the gorilla in Atlanta zoo, Willie B, that was let out of his imprisonment but couldn't cope with the freedom. He tried to go back into his cage to live.
Reply 43
Original post by DorianGrayism
We are going to get rid the discrimination act? Hahaha. Only a UKIP Lunatic would suggest that.

They could have already reduced VAT on fuel and etc. They didn't and they are not going to now. That would be daft with such a big current account deficit.

...Exactly, which is why 'Vote Remain to protect your workers rights' was typical scaremongering.

And no, we are still in the EU and being in the EU means we are simply not allowed to reduce the VAT on fuel. Nothing complex about that.
We are going to get rid the discrimination act? Hahaha. Only a UKIP Lunatic would suggest that.

I fear your sarcastic rhetorical suggestion detector is on the blink. A trip to Currys for a new one is in order.
I voted leave because I wanted to be a trend setter
Reply 46
Lol.

I like how Brexit voters don't like to be associated with the Working class or the those without degrees.

Yes, it is a fact that people with poor educations or little money voted for Brexit.

What difference does it make to them? They are still going to be poor in 5 years and they need someone to blame. It doesn't matter if the rest of the country is poorer as well.

You don't have to be clever to get a degree in something now days. Also, lots of the leave voters were older, it was much less common to go to uni back then. Get your head out your arse
Original post by democracyforum
An offer to those wanting a second referendum :

Rather than have another referendum,
why not just convince the current government to postpone article 50 ?

We are after all, in the EU for the next 3 months. The referendum is not legally binding, and they can in theory just ignore it.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice. When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never".

Hahaha somebody's been reading the guardian.. i read that bs and it couldn't be further from the truth... or maybe you saw it regurgitated around facebook.
Reply 48
Original post by WhisperingTide
You're making a very silly assumption: That only people who voted remain want another referendum.
How many people do you think voted leave believing the £350million lie?

Well this is the thing, it has emerged in the days since the referendum that many people's concerns all along were true and that the Leave campaign did lie and make 'contradictory promises' (IDS's words, not mine), no wonder they encouraged people to ignore the experts. It's not about being a sore loser, it's about being extremely concerned that a massive decision for this country has been made on the basis of lies, because many did vote expecting leaving the EU would mean more funding for the NHS and public services and reduced immigration, which now the Leave campaign say cannot be guaranteed.

Some of the DM comments on this article say it all, not representative of Leave voters, I know, but it is pretty tragic that only now do they actually pay attention to the undeniable facts when it's too late and moan that the DM didn't tell them the facts in the first place, why would it, it's the DM, they don't do unbiased reporting of facts. So when the future of our country has potentially been decided by these idiots and the people who voted Leave as a protest and 'didn't think their vote would mean anything', I don't think you can blame people for being pissed off at the result and wanting a second referendum (which I accept isn't going to happen) based on hard facts and evidence and not fantasies and lies.

And yes, when I say 'fantasies and lies' I do mean both sides, but right now, given we voted to Leave, it's the lies of the Leave campaign that are the most relevant obviously.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
Again, let's not forget that there were lies on both sides! If we voted to remain, Leave voters would have had as much right to argue that this was based on lies- in terms of 3,000,000 job losses and families being £4300 a year worse (both found to be lies by reality/fact check), or on George Osborne's emergency budget which Lord King today claimed was the nadir of the whole campaign.

Yes, the £350m was a lie and I, as a leave voter, was annoyed at the perseverance of using that figure. But to say the UK voted out on the basis of lies, exactly the same could be said if we voted the other way. The public were badly and needlessly let down by both campaigns.
Original post by Samiz
...Exactly, which is why 'Vote Remain to protect your workers rights' was typical scaremongering.

WTF are you on about? No one was saying that we are getting rid of the discrimination act. Leave or Remain. That is just made up by you.

IF we leave then the vast sections of the UK legal code would have be rewritten by the Government in power AKA A Tory Government can reduce workers rights.

Original post by Samiz

And no, we are still in the EU and being in the EU means we are simply not allowed to reduce the VAT on fuel. Nothing complex about that.

Yeh, which makes no difference because the Government getting rid of VAT. Nothing complex about that either.
Reply 51
Original post by Lanterne Rouge
The bitter Bremainers want a 75% turnout (with 60% share) for the result to be valid. That incentivises "status quo" (IN) supporters to not actually vote, because turnout wouldn't be high enough for the result to stand. It makes a complete mockery of democracy.

Anyone on the dark side have any response to this?

P.S. I'm still not entirely sure why people are so angry. We've made a great decision, and must stick with it.

The general assumption of such a requirement for a referendum is that an equivalent number of votes would be accepted. An example of this was the 1979 referendum in Scotland.

This assumption is essentially implicit since, of course, otherwise the opposition could simply not turn up to vote.
Original post by FNPC
You don't have to be clever to get a degree in something now days. Also, lots of the leave voters were older, it was much less common to go to uni back then. Get your head out your arse

Didn't talk about being "clever".

Simply said that remain voters are less likely to be educated, poorer and older. It is really irrelevant what the reason is. Those are simply facts.

Conveniently, you missed out the poorer part.
As a person who voted remain, I find it laughable that people are trying to get a 2nd referendum. It's pointless.
There should only ever be a 2nd referendum in the event of a catastrophic change in the world's political situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending