The Student Room Group

Democracy must prevail

I am firmly in the remain camp but, we are where we are.

I love Europe and I have a deep respect for the very real and positive contribution Europeans (indeed all immigrants) have brought to this country and I strongly hope that continues. It is not the fault of ordinary European citizens who are simply trying to make the most of themselves and their lives (as are we all) by embracing the opportunities presented to them by a thriving economy within the EU.

As a nation, our most fundamental and protected core value is and must always be liberal-democracy. The referendum has produced an arguable but, nonetheless, decisive result and this nation must stand behind that decision or democracy means nothing. Contrary to some opinions. there are human values that come before pure wealth and economic prowess.

The Magna Carta (and from it the system of liberal-democratic law) is there to protect the basic freedom and right of the people against the potential tyranny of unsuppressed power. Free peoples control their own destiny and are both entitled to decide whether they wish to 'save' themselves and put self-interest ahead of the greater altruism, OR, to curb the excesses and absolute powers of the ruling elite from whichever direction that may come.

Sixty million+ people paid for this right and privilege with their lives in WWII and it's incumbent on all of us to honour the debt of gratitude we owe them.

A very clear message has been sent to both our own system of Government, to the European Commission and to the world, that freedom and sovereignty is not negotiable and you ignore that at your own peril.

The UK is not finished as some predict.

Far from it. Yes, we are in a political and constitutional crisis. yes the future is uncertain and not guaranteed. And that's exactly when the British come out fighting. It's what we do best when our backs are against the wall. Others may underestimate how strong we are as a nation. They will try to diminish us to make themselves stronger and deflect away from their own internal constitutional crises, arrogance and hubris at the heart of our decision to leave the EU.

Schadenfreude will be writ large in some quarters not so far form Europe. Bring it on.

Now is not the time for disintegration, running away or cowering in fear. The EU will not disintegrate as some predict. Nicola Sturgeon must not be allowed to de-rail the will of the UK as a nation - for her own socio-political agenda.

Change has been thrust upon us. Embrace the change - it is not the first and will definitely not be the last time we will have to face the magnitude of this challenge.

Compromise will be needed on both sides. There will be a solution and common ground will be found. Of that, I have no doubt. It may not be what we imagined or feel entirely comfortable with, but life will go on.

SO, 'Keep Calm and Carry On'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
very well said, personally i didn't vote because i think the country will be fine for the next few years regardless of if we are in the EU or out of it, but i definitely agree with everything you said here
Original post by uberteknik
I am firmly in the remain camp but, we are where we are.

I love Europe and I have a deep respect for the very real and positive contribution Europeans (indeed all immigrants) have brought to this country and I strongly hope that continues. It is not the fault of ordinary European citizens who are simply trying to make the most of themselves and their lives (as are we all) by embracing the opportunities presented to them by a thriving economy within the EU.

As a nation, our most fundamental and protected core value is and must always be liberal-democracy. The referendum has produced an arguable but, nonetheless, decisive result and this nation must stand behind that decision or democracy means nothing. Contrary to some opinions. there are human values that come before pure wealth and economic prowess.

The Magna Carta (and from it the system of liberal-democratic law) is there to protect the basic freedom and right of the people against the potential tyranny of unsuppressed power. Free peoples control their own destiny and are both entitled to decide whether they wish to 'save' themselves and put self-interest ahead of the greater altruism, OR, to curb the excesses and absolute powers of the ruling elite from whichever direction that may come.

Sixty million+ people paid for this right and privilege with their lives in WWII and it's incumbent on all of us to honour the debt of gratitude we owe them.

A very clear message has been sent to both our own system of Government, to the European Commission and to the world, that freedom and sovereignty is not negotiable and you ignore that at your own peril.

The UK is not finished as some predict.

Far from it. Yes, we are in a political and constitutional crisis. yes the future is uncertain and not guaranteed. And that's exactly when the British come out fighting. It's what we do best when our backs are against the wall. Others may underestimate how strong we are as a nation. They will try to diminish us to make themselves stronger and deflect away from their own internal constitutional crises, arrogance and hubris at the heart of our decision to leave the EU.

Schadenfreude will be writ large in some quarters not so far form Europe. Bring it on.

Now is not the time for disintegration, running away or cowering in fear. The EU will not disintegrate as some predict. Nicola Sturgeon must not be allowed to de-rail the will of the UK as a nation - for her own socio-political agenda.

Change has been thrust upon us. Embrace the change - it is not the first and will definitely not be the last time we will have to face the magnitude of this challenge.

Compromise will be needed on both sides. There will be a solution and common ground will be found. Of that, I have no doubt. It may not be what we imagined or feel entirely comfortable with, but life will go on.

SO, 'Keep Calm and Carry On'.

Ameen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending