The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InadequateJusticex
I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.
Did they, given so many people have openly admitted to having not known what they were voting about?
Original post by Tootles
Did they, given so many people have openly admitted to having not known what they were voting about?

Well from a technical point of view they did because it wasn't rigged. Fair and square doesn't take into account a population's gullibility, ignorance and stupidity I'm afraid. But it is rather worrying how many people voted not knowing what they were voting for and what really pisses me off are the people who voted leave because "they thought it wouldn't count" - in that instance it would've been preferable to NOT vote you idiots!
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Well from a technical point of view they did because it wasn't rigged. Fair and square doesn't take into account a population's gullibility, ignorance and stupidity I'm afraid. But it is rather worrying how many people voted not knowing what they were voting for and what really pisses me off are the people who voted leave because "they thought it wouldn't count" - in that instance it would've been preferable to NOT vote you idiots!

It's what you always get in referendums, which is why parts of the Right like them so much.
The Huff is documenting post-referendum racist incidents.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eu-referendum-racism_uk_576fe161e4b08d2c56396075?745i5vqfvfs35l8fr

Interesting stuff - racists across the country have clearly felt emboldened and that a Leave vote means that attacking people of other origins than white English is officially sanctioned.

Adam Boulton at Sky reports he has personally witnessed three incidents.
https://twitter.com/adamboultonSKY/status/747090758369411072?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Reply 705
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's what you always get in referendums, which is why parts of the Right like them so much.

So go live in North Korea or something where they don't hold referendums
Anyway, why worry everyone? So long as Rupe's happy!

Original post by ftw93
So go live in North Korea or something where they don't hold referendums

Perhaps you've not noticed they also don't have an elected parliament or political parties?

What do you suppose Parliament is for?
Reply 708
Perhaps you've not noticed they also don't have an elected parliament or political parties?

I'm sure you'd love it there
Reply 709
Original post by the IT MAN

Well the shame really is the younger generation didn't bother voting.

If under 34s had turned-out Remain would have won, albeit narrowly.

And Leave would be calling for a 2nd Referendum...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 710
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they didn't bother voting the first time they don't deserve a second chance

That older generation has, by far and large, passed away. Futile point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Somehow I don't think there'd be quite as much uproar if we'd have chosen to stay.
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are there any stats on the % of voters who were under 25? I've only seen the stats going around that 75% chose remain etc etc.
Reply 714
Original post by A Slice of Pi
Somehow I don't think there'd be quite as much uproar if we'd have chosen to stay.

Oh I'm quite certain Farage would be stirring up a huge amount of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 715
Original post by jneill
Oh I'm quite certain Farage would be stirring up a huge amount of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're a sore loser
Original post by *Stefan*
That older generation has, by far and large, passed away. Futile point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its more about showing that the older generation have done so much more for this country, then a bunch of spotty teenagers and twenty somethings who have no clue about life.
Its more about showing that the older generation have done so much more for this country, then a bunch of spotty teenagers and twenty somethings who have no clue about life.

What kind of silliness is this? Clearly, the older people will have done more. Did you expect anything else?

The question arises as to whether someone who will not be alive should have the power to dictate the lives of younger people. Not referring to 65 yr old people, but when I heard people applauding a 93 yr old woman I got a headache.
Original post by *Stefan*
What kind of silliness is this? Clearly, the older people will have done more. Did you expect anything else?

The question arises as to whether someone who will not be alive should have the power to dictate the lives of younger people. Not referring to 65 yr old people, but when I heard people applauding a 93 yr old woman I got a headache.

I think the worst thing is not the very elderly, because fair play to them, they went through war and hardship, but white racist people in their 50s and 60s brought up in a wealthy country with every opportunity to advance who blame everything that is allegedly 'wrong' on immigrants and are positive 'Nigel will fix it'. They give me the creeps.
They give me the creeps.

Unfortunately, your views give most people the creeps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending