The Student Room Group

Scotland's Independence Referendum

I know this may be jumping the gun slightly, but I've always had some queries as to the Scottish vote for independence. - To me it seems like hypocrisy to want independence from the UK, yet keep "the good bits".

If the Scots wish for independence, should/would this mean they should be able to keep the GBP? Should/would they be allowed to keep the NHS? Will Scotland's students have to pay for their Uni fees, like us Brits?

What do you think will happen in regards to the above?
Reply 1
Original post by fr0sr_
I know this may be jumping the gun slightly, but I've always had some queries as to the Scottish vote for independence. - To me it seems like hypocrisy to want independence from the UK, yet keep "the good bits".

You literally described England, Wales and the whole Leave campaign.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
You literally described England, Wales and the whole Leave campaign.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand where you're coming from - But I'm referring to the Scottish "indy ref" so please keep on topic.:tongue:
A) they'd revert to Scottish sterling on the way to adopting the euro.
B) you can't stop them having a national health service, so asking if they should be allowed to keep it is a bit ridiculous
C) depends on where their priorities lie and what they can afford

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by fr0sr_

If the Scots wish for independence, should/would this mean they should be able to keep the GBP? Should/would they be allowed to keep the NHS? Will Scotland's students have to pay for their Uni fees, like us Brits?

l believe it is as much Scotland's pound as it is England's pound, if they want to keep it and call it the Scottish pound they probably can.
They have NHS Scotland.. completely separate from NHS England, while SNP have promised free uni fees so l cant see why that would change while SNP are in government.

l do not believe the Scots would want a bad divorce from the rUK and l couldn't see the Scots putting up borders either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have a look at the white paper they produced before the last referendum. It's got some major holes, but it basically sets out their vision for how Scotland as an independent country would work.

Fast forward two years and add in the fact they've just lost half of the income they were relying on from North Sea oil and try and guess what they would actually be able to afford.
Reply 6
Original post by fr0sr_

They can promise them.

Whether they could afford them on their own is entirely different.

Their whole economic argument about independence last time round was predicated on strong oil prices. That simply doesn't exist any more. And if they join the EU they'd have to pay to be in that - getting less back than they put in - leaving them further in a hole.
They can share the pound, but the Bank of England would still set rates, so that's not really independence, is it?

If they wanted to apply to join the EU they'd have to adopt the Euro. They'd then be liable for bailing out Greece and Ireland and anyone else the next time they run out of money. Sturgeon can't sell that to the electorate (at the moment)...
Reply 8
Original post by fr0sr_
If the Scots wish for independence, should/would this mean they should be able to keep the GBP?

They could continue to use GBP but they would have no influence over monetary policy. They could also create their own currency (Scottish pound), but that can be risky. If they wish to join the EU Scots may be forced to adopt the Euro.

Original post by fr0sr_
Should/would they be allowed to keep the NHS?

NHS is devolved already so they would very likely keep it the same. Or try to at least.

Original post by fr0sr_
Will Scotland's students have to pay for their Uni fees, like us Brits?

Assuming the Scottish government kept to current poilicy they would have free tuition at Scottish unis, but if they wished to study in rUK they would be treated as an international student and have to pay tuition fees.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

B) you can't stop them having a national health service, so asking if they should be allowed to keep it is a bit ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was not aware, so I asked - is that okay with you? :smile:)
Reply 10
The crazy thing here is you / we underestimate the Scottish... They just tipped the balance of vote Leave by over a Million.. Took a risk but it seemed to work for them.

independence voters knew the No voters would more than likely go for Remain and a lot of YES voters shifted to leave = possible shot at another independence vote, That is what you call tactical voting.

Nothing will change much in Scotland and l can't see them abandoning the rUK at this particular time.
(edited 7 years ago)
They could peg a Scottish pound to Stirling like the Irish used to. Sweden are also obliged to join the Euro but deliberately avoid fulfilling the required criteria so they don't have to.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending