OCR MEI FP2 Thread - AM 27th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

wake me up inside
Original post by decombatwombat
My answers, by no means right, just want to compare with people :smile: :

1)i) 1 - x^2 + x^4

ii) x - 1/3 x^3 + 1/5 x^5

iii) pi/6

iv) Draw the graph, sort of like a loop but starting at pi/4 and ending on the horizontal axis

As the angles tends to 0 r tends to infinity

v) a^2 ln(2 root2) or 1/2 a^2 ln 8

2)i) 1-z

ii) Show that C + jS thing

iii) Modulus of the cube roots was root2 the angles were pi/18 13pi/18 25pi/18

3)i) Eigenvalues were -1/6, 1 eigenvectors were (1 1) and (3 -4) I think, cant quite remember the order

ii) M^n tended towards (3 4) or something like that order might be different
.................................(3 4)
cant quite remember

iii) Not too sure on this, I think it didnt tend to a limit (maybe infinity), as the elements of the matrix were greater than 1 but some were negative so it could have positive or negative infinity

4)i) Show that arcosh thing

ii) ln((3+root5)/2) and ln((3-root5)/2)

iii) The graph sort of looked like x^2 but started at y=2

The area bound by the curve was 5root5 / 2
The area bound by the line y = 5 was 5ln((7+3root5)/2)

Then take one away from the other.

I think that was all the questions, not sure how many are right, just what I got :biggrin:

Agree with all in Q1 and I think you have to show that +C = 0 - that counted as 2 marks in a past paper
Also I put that r tends to +/- infinity - is this ok???

Agree with Q2
Agree with Q3 but I got M^n tends to a matrix - can't remember but it had like 3/7 and 4/7 in it
For part 3 I just put tends to infnity so does not tend to a limit.

Q4; for the area I got 10ln (3+root5/2) - something ...
Confusing and tedious paper
Reply 103
@decombatwombat I agree with almost everything (which is great :biggrin:) except I argues that the area bound by y=5 was 52ln(3+52)5*2ln(\frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2}) and I can't see how you got your answer.
Original post by Sophieoo1
Agree with all in Q1 and I think you have to show that +C = 0 - that counted as 2 marks in a past paper
Also I put that r tends to +/- infinity - is this ok???

Agree with Q2
Agree with Q3 but I got M^n tends to a matrix - can't remember but it had like 3/7 and 4/7 in it
For part 3 I just put tends to infnity so does not tend to a limit.

Q4; for the area I got 10ln (3+root5/2) - something ...

Oh yeah sorry that 4/7 thingy for the matrix is what I got, forgot to put that. I also did the +c thing for the first part. I think you should be alright with the +/- infinity. I think your answer to the last part is just a simplified version of what I put.
I got z - 1 for question 2, is that still right? I think it still works for the binomial but I'm not sure. ( I wrote it like (-1+z)^n )

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aph
@decombatwombat I agree with almost everything (which is great :biggrin:) except I argues that the area bound by y=5 was 52ln(3+52)5*2ln(\frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2}) and I can't see how you got your answer.

I think I put the 2 inside, so that it was the thing in the ln squared, which equals the same as yours.
Reply 107
What is it likely to be for a B?
Any predictions for the A boundary?
Did someone manipulate the complex numbers by multiplying by j^4 to get the required result ?
Original post by Connorbwfc

63/64?

58 or 59 :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Imo that was one of the hardest papers. Cant recall the last time when they asked you to integrate a hyperbolic function to find the area and all that M^n infinity nonsense. Also cant remember any pp questions like the (1-z). Hopefully it will be 50-55 for an A
63/64?

funny
Did anyone get 5root5 for the area

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
I think I put the 2 inside, so that it was the thing in the ln squared, which equals the same as yours.

ahhh yes, it does. okay I think that was probably too much work there then you needed but I'm sure its okay.
I would personally say around 55 for an A.

This was the hardest paper for me in recent memory.
Original post by MintyMilk
funny

Yeah that was probably a bit high of an estimate, its just that FP2 boundaries tend to be pretty high. Most likely it will be 59/60
Reply 118
63/64?

would make it the easiest paper in the past 6 years!!!

55/56
Yeah that was probably a bit high of an estimate, its just that FP2 boundaries tend to be pretty high. Most likely it will be 59/60

Boundary for an A on Jan 13 was 56, and this was significantly harder.

Expecting somewhere around 53-55
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending