The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by exclamationmark
How did people get 225? I ended up solving the quadratic p^2 + 0.7p - 55.5 <0 something like that 🙈

It was n and sqrt(n) so the roots of the quadratic are equal to the sqrt of n and then you square the positive one as sqrt(x)≥0
Original post by Michaelj99
I just put 225 in the whole thing and it worked out to get the probability they showed, my friend put both in when u find the z values, and said you get negative z for 342.25 i think? you didn't really have to say why you picked what?

Yeah I subbed back in and you do get -Z, somehow didn't think to take the other root :/ hoping I get 6/8 or so for method marks
I just put 225 in the whole thing and it worked out to get the probability they showed, my friend put both in when u find the z values, and said you get negative z for 342.25 i think? you didn't really have to say why you picked what?

Basically 342.25 would have worked if you took the negative square root at the bottom but idk

I think and hope it's 225 cause that worked flawlessly when i plugged it back in and it only asked for 1 value
Can someone please explain what I did wrong as I can't see it! I got n=271!

image.jpg
Original post by lovecupcakes1997
[5,9]
I did 5^2pi = 25pi and 9^2pi = 81pi
Then i wrote [25pi,81pi]
E(X) = 1/2(25pi+81pi)
= 53pi

That's exactly what I did, pretty sure we were wrong though :/ Oh well, hopefully at least 2 marks.
Original post by gameofthrones1

image.jpg

You expanded (55.5 - 0.2n)^2 incorrectly
Hey guys for the 8 mark question i got n=62 which i know is wrong, but i want to know how much marks you think i could get, because i made a mistake when squarerooting 0.16n so i didnt do the quadratic equation
Original post by apzoe
Guys what values did you get for a, b and k?

What did you get

I only did k and b , b is 8 as given and k is 1/9

Posted from TSR Mobile

image.jpg

You've written 1.75 then changed it to 1.45
Original post by exclamationmark
How did people get 225? I ended up solving the quadratic p^2 + 0.7p - 55.5 <0 something like that 🙈

You get 555-2p=7sqrtp and if you square all of that then you got 4p^2 -2269p + 555^2 =0 and then if you solve it using the quadratic function you get two answers 225 and something else with a point 25 in and as you were finding n it had to be a whole number so 225 was the answer
Reply 770
Original post by NamelessPersona

How many marks out of 8 do you think this would score, i made the same mistake :/
Original post by yasamin3
Hey guys for the 8 mark question i got n=62 which i know is wrong, but i want to know how much marks you think i could get, because i made a mistake when squarerooting 0.16n so i didnt do the quadratic equation

I would say 4, an M1 for using normal approx, an A1 for half cc, and an M1 and A1 for getting to 55.5-0.2n = 1.75*sqrt(0.16n)
Original post by iipebblesii
You've written 1.75 then changed it to 1.45

My handwriting is quite bad, its 1.75 still haha
Original post by S14151
How many marks out of 8 do you think this would score, i made the same mistake :/

I'd say at least 4 look at my previous post
Reply 774
I would say 4, an M1 for using normal approx, an A1 for half cc, and an M1 and A1 for getting to 55.5-0.2n = 1.75*sqrt(0.16n)

Not too bad, thanks!

Did I? I thought we didn't have to treat them as bracketed?

I got 342 too! is it wrong?
Did I? I thought we didn't have to treat them as bracketed?

If you square both sides you treat it as a bracket
how many marks out of 8 just for not appling the continuity correction? everything else was correct just my quadratic was -55 not -55.5
Original post by kieran1119
You get 555-2p=7sqrtp and if you square all of that then you got 4p^2 -2269p + 555^2 =0 and then if you solve it using the quadratic function you get two answers 225 and something else with a point 25 in and as you were finding n it had to be a whole number so 225 was the answer

Ah thank you, sorry, but how was the 2n derived? As I thought 1.75 (z value) = (55.5 - n) / (0.16n)^0.5

Quick Reply

Latest