The Student Room Group

If parliament had allowed 16-18 to vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
Oh please, most 16 - 18 year olds are clueless when it comes to politics and making important decisions.

I wouldn't put young people down so much, most people on here understand politics far more than any older adult I've ever met.
Original post by Captain Jack
I wouldn't put young people down so much, most people on here understand politics far more than any older adult I've ever met.

Shock horror, a few politically engaged people understand politics better than those not politically engaged! Most older adults understand at least as well as most young people I've met.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Shock horror, a few politically engaged people understand politics better than those not politically engaged! Most older adults understand at least as well as most young people I've met.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly.
Exactly.

Exactly? So now you agree that the point you were having disagreements with is probably accurate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Exactly? So now you agree that the point you were having disagreements with is probably accurate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said "Most older adults understand at least as well as most young people I've met."

Which says they have pretty much the same levels of understanding?

All I'm saying is, 16 - 17 yr olds have a better understanding of the world around them than people give them credit for. People grow up thinking politics is complicated and something only adults can somehow comprehend. This isn't true. It's complicated full stop.
Forget 16-18 year olds. They know jack ****. They believe everything they hear as facts just like others have said. They've spent most of their lives not working, at school and being fed by mummy and daddy, and in education. They dont know much about the employment world, economy, etc.
Reply 246
Read a few of these and it seems people are getting confused... Young people don't want to take away the vote from old people but instead simply think that it is unfair old people get it when we don't. It will affect us and not them and if mistakes were made we will have to deal with the repercussions. Further more children who aren't politically aware are less likely to be bothered to vote in the first place. Only those interested in politics are likely to vote and these types of people are not those to be influenced by parents/medi, I mean take a look at out youth parliament for a start.
If you think older people know a lot more about politics you're deluded.
My mother voted for the first time last year and admits she has to ask me for advice on most things political.

I disagree with the argument that the older generation fought for us so they know better. Talk to a lot of them and they don't know all that much about the EU and focus solely on immigrants.

It was a **** result but when only 36% of 18-24 year olds voted you can't moan too much. It's embarrassing. We allowed them to outvote us, simple as.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A 16 should never be in a position to cast an important vote and the reps back my statement
A 16 should never be in a position to cast an important vote and the reps back my statement

Agreed. There has to be cut off somewhere and I wouldn't be comfortable having a child able to influence a vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 250

WHAT THE HELL? why do you get to say that we shouldn't vote? what about our youth parliament??? surely that shows politics are becoming more integrated within our younger community/culture. Also we are just one of the generations that will be the future politicians who will then have to make the decisions for you when you're old and frail. What if you were 16 or 17 and politically aware as you are now? would you still think you shouldn't be allowed to vote????
Original post by celloel
They deserve the right to vote, mate. It's unfair to say because 'they'll die within the next few years' that you are owed the vote more than them. Kind of disgusting actually.

So many people of the older generation have never had the chance to vote on this issue. They deserved their say.

They also paid taxes and contributed to the building of the country. How much tax has OP paid?
Original post by Calev44
WHAT THE HELL? why do you get to say that we shouldn't vote? what about our youth parliament??? surely that shows politics are becoming more integrated within our younger community/culture. Also we are just one of the generations that will be the future politicians who will then have to make the decisions for you when you're old and frail. What if you were 16 or 17 and politically aware as you are now? would you still think you shouldn't be allowed to vote????

As a person is older and knows what they're taking about, I can confidently say that young people should not vote
A lot of older people agree so that is saying something.
but a person who is under the 'legal age' may be influenced by their parents. the majority of 'youngsters' will just vote the same as their parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well they don't, so there's no ifs about it.
As a person is older and knows what they're taking about, I can confidently say that young people should not vote
A lot of older people agree so that is saying something.

As far as I'm aware, you're not especially old, and I certainly don't think you know what you're talking about.

The average 16-17 year old has just as much knowledge as the average adult when it comes to politics.

Whether 10-40 years of history of being screwed by politicians and voting for a party "just because that's what our family does" is sufficient experience to give them a leg up on the youngsters is heavily up for debate. I would argue it doesn't.
I'd say it's not fair for 16- 17 year olds to not vote, because it affects us the most. Essentially, when it's all put into effect, and the UK has actually left, we'd be 18+ and have to deal with the fallout.

Just because there are some people who are ignorant and naive in an age group, that doesn't mean it should be excluded from voting, just as some stubborn, old-fashioned, people are allowed.

Spoiler

Original post by Elivercury
As far as I'm aware, you're not especially old, and I certainly don't think you know what you're talking about.

The average 16-17 year old has just as much knowledge as the average adult when it comes to politics.

Whether 10-40 years of history of being screwed by politicians and voting for a party "just because that's what our family does" is sufficient experience to give them a leg up on the youngsters is heavily up for debate. I would argue it doesn't.

I ma 21 years of age and I live independently and I pay taxes so.. I know exactly what I am talking about.
I have experience, maturity and I am more educated, so my vote is more significant as compared to a person doing their a levels.
Original post by teenhorrorstory

This is effectively a 'Death Clock' for the Baby Boomers and the Silent Generation.

I'm really having trouble articulating just how disgusting I find the people who have spread this around. I can't talk about it without getting angry.

It's basically saying that "their vote isn't valid because they might not have to live with the decision for as long as I will". This infuriates me beyond all belief.

To all of the people who spread this, whining that they wouldn't have to live with the results as long as you would - the older voters KNOW that.

This going to be hard for you to understand: imagine for a moment, if you can, that the most important thing in the world wasn't you.

They have lived through the EU, they have direct experience of what it is to live before and in the EU, and many have voted to Leave because of how it has changed.

The EU is dying. The EU is an idealistic idea that has been implemented badly.

Furthermore you're forgetting the fact that only 36 ****ing percent of 18-24 year olds bothered to vote in the first place. They had several months to inform themselves and 14 hours to walk out their doors for 5 minutes to vote.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply